Shirley Temple Collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Wer4God2, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Wer4God2

Wer4God2 Auditioning

Sue
    Hi,

I'm new this forum, so bear with me please. I just bought, via Amazon, Shirley Temple Collection on DVD. It was to replace the VHS collection my mother left to me when she passed away. As I sorted through the videos I notice that Poor Little Rich Girl was not a part of the DVD collection. I'm shocked! My mother introduced me to Shirley Temple and we would sit and watch her shows almost every night before retiring to bed. Does anyone out there know of where I can get this one on DVD? I donated my VHS collection to a granddaughter of a coworker of my husband, so she can continue on enjoying one of America's Sweethearts: Mrs. Shirley Temple Black. Thank you

2. Escapay

Escapay Stunt Coordinator

Albert Gutierrez
    Hi Sue.

I'm assuming the collection you're talking about is the "Little Darling" collection released last year? The collection simply gathers the six collections originally released between 2005 and 2008, which encompass 18 of her films. As a result, it does not include the following six films, which Fox never released to DVD:

Managed Money (1934)
    Change of Heart (1934)
    Now I'll Tell (1934)
    Our Little Girl (1935)
    Poor Little Rich Girl (1936)
    Ali Baba Goes to Town (1937)

As you can see, Poor Little Rich Girl is included among the six titles. Hope that helps. :)

Perhaps Fox will see it fit to release these titles in their burn-on-demand "Cinema Archive" series.

3. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I don't know why Poor Little Rich Girl wasn't included in the collection you purchased. It doesn't seem to be available on DVD in the USA .If you go back to Amazon, and go to Amazon UK there is a DVD version of that movie avaiable from England In the PAL format , but then you need an all region DVD player to play it.You can find one online for about $100.00 I don't know if you want to go to that expense but I figured I'd let you know about that option. Hope this helps .

4. Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos Stunt Coordinator

Miguel M Santos
    I am not sure where you got the $100.00, but Amazon.co.uk currently sells the PAL DVD either for £12.99 (about $20) or £6.77 (around $10.00), depending on the edition (both by Fox) plus postage to the US.

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The film does show up occasionally on TCM and FMC, but the DVD-r that I made is not a great transfer. That may be why Fox never put it out on DVD. It is full of dirt and damage.

6. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    I think the $100 figure referred to a multi-region player, not the film. Although players with hackable codes can be purchased for about half that figure.

7. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I've only been able to find colorized versions of Poor Little Rich Girl. Do any of those retailers sell it in B&W? I don't mind if it's a lackluster transfer as long as it's not colorized.

8. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    My guess is that your best bet is to buy the old VHS and convert it to DVD. Poor Little Rich Girl is one of Shirley's best films and it's a shame it's not available. My guesses as to why would be either rights complications with the story (Mary Pickford made a film called Poor Little Rich Girl) or with the music. Nevertheless, during the Fox poll, I kept requesting that they release Poor Little Rich Girl on blu ray. It really deserves something.

9. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
  10. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    The $100.00 would be to buy an all region DVD player rto play the PAL sytem disc which won;t pplay in US NTSC palyers.

11. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Poor Little Rich Girl and Our Little Girl have both been released in the UK.
    Change of Heart has been released as part of 20th Century Fox's MOD series.
    Now I'll Tell appears to be the only feature still unreleased somewhere in the world (I believe Managed Money was a short and Temple didn't appear in Ali Baba Goes to Town that I'm aware of although Fox has released this also in the US).

12. alistairKerr

alistairKerr Stunt Coordinator

Alistair
    I think that the reason Shirley Temple is mentioned in connection with "Ali Baba Goes To Town" is that she appears with other Fox stars as part of the "film premiere" sequence at the finale of this film. It looks like newsreel footage to me,
    Alistair

13. Nick Eden

Nick Eden Stunt Coordinator

Got the UK release of Poor Little Rich Girl. Unfortunately, it is the awful colorised version and that version only. Such a shame.

14. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

This used to be available in numerous editions on Amazon, none of which were official. It's beyond me that one of Shirley's biggest films hasn't been properly released in Region 1.

15. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Just curious, which of Shirley Temple's films are still not available on DVD or VHS?