Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Robot Combat League

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 ONLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 26 2013 - 02:11 PM

SyFy starts season 1 tonight. Its not battlebots, but I will give it a go

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 27 2013 - 07:30 AM

I forgot to watch. Was it worth checking out?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#3 of 11 ONLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts

Posted February 27 2013 - 08:55 AM

Too much talking and nothing, not enough fighting.

I miss battlebots.  The problem with these humanoid robots that are stood up on skids to trade blows is that there isn't that much action.  When you'd watch battlebots and someone would come out with a chainsaw attached you knew something good might happen.   Here, there just isn't that much robot diversity, they are all too much alike, so you don't get to see wildly different strategies.

People forget how really awesome something like Battlebots was.

People building their own robots and beating the hell out of them in wild and creative ways.    But in Robot Combat League, all of the robots are the same format.  They are slow moving.   The people are just controllers, so they don't have a lot of insight into rapid repairs or strategy.   In something like Battlebots, week to week people were changing their robots to make them different against new competition.

Robot Combat League was something I had hoped would bring back everything I loved about Battlebots, where a 30 minute show could bring you 3 good fights and some interviews.  Instead, an hour long show brought you 4 minutes of fairly boring fighting and a lot of reality-show TV picking of teams and stupid games of skill.

trakt.tv

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 04:59 AM

Battlebots was freaking awesome and I miss it as well.  What a great concept it was - kind of hard to believe that somehow somewhere it didn't get picked back up.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 28 2013 - 06:55 AM

Robot Combat League was something I had hoped would bring back everything I loved about Battlebots, where a 30 minute show could bring you 3 good fights and some interviews.  Instead, an hour long show brought you 4 minutes of fairly boring fighting and a lot of reality-show TV picking of teams and stupid games of skill.

That's a shame.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 03:54 AM

The promos made it look like Rock'em Sock'em Robots with a better interface but about as creative and strategic (i.e. almost none).

#7 of 11 ONLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts

Posted March 07 2013 - 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey 

The promos made it look like Rock'em Sock'em Robots with a better interface but about as creative and strategic (i.e. almost none).

And that's exactly what it is.   This is what hurts most because it's what made Battlebots brilliant was the strategy of such wildly different and mobile robots.

trakt.tv

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,298 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 07 2013 - 01:17 PM

I'm pre-disposed to hate this show, as the annoying pop-up ads intrude on Face/Off. Still, I caught an episode randomly. It was really quite interesting, until the actual Robot Combat League part started. Then it was a total snooze. The lead up, showing the design, test, and practice with the hardware was interesting. A little like Mythusters. Unfortunately, the actual fighting showed what sad excuses for "robots" these are. They don't really fight; they more lurch and flop into each other, the controllers doing Hollywood style fight technique and the machines clumsily echoing it. And there were strange, added sparks and explosions to enhance the otherwise lackluster trading of punches. So meh. And I hope the ads go away from Face/Off.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted March 07 2013 - 01:38 PM

I thought it was lame... I hat to say it but I wasn't impressed at all. I agree with some of the other comments about it just not being the same. It almost looked fake at times.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 05:32 AM

I made it through the first episode and was greatly disappointed. But I gave up midway through Ep. 2 when the robots were fighting and exactly the same sort of thing happened as happened in ep 1. That is. One robot punches another, robot 2 lights up (Huh??? lights??) and then some gold-looking oil squirts out. Oil? What the heck do these things need with oil, enough that it actually spurts? IMHO, this show is lame and probably fake. I dearly, dearly miss Battlebots and was really hoping this could be at least a pale imitation. Not so. Speaking of Battlebots, although I can't really find anything about this on the internet (maybe I didn't look hard enough), but I thought at the time there was a rumor that the show got canceled because of liability issues. That is, some of the bots might have crashed through the box or spewed parts through or over it and possibly hurt someone. Anybody else remember that?

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#11 of 11 ONLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 05:49 AM

There weren't ever any incidents, but comedy central began worrying about people building at home and injuring/killing themselves ... That was the official reason. They still run battlebot tournies, just not broadcast :(. but your right about how fake this show feels, especially in comparison

trakt.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users