What's new

Looking for Blu-ray player recommendations (1 Viewer)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Hi Everyone, I'm looking recommendations for a blu-ray player for the tv in my bedroom. I don't need anything over the top, but I do have a wishlist: -USB or SD slots where I can play MP4 and/or AVI videos -Wi-Fi built in Any suggestions HTFers? Thanks!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
lots of cheap / adequate stuff out there Consider Vudu, Pandora, Netflix etc etc. All of these units are "deposable" meaning don't expect a warranty period plus life span from them. Do a bit of research to ensure that the file formats you want to use will work with your player. Consider purchasing at a store with a return policy for this reason. Fun stuff.

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
You could always couple a cheaper player with a set top device like Roku or WDTV Hub or something. That way the device can handle all your streaming needs without trying to get your BD player to do it. The right tool for the right job.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
^^^Virtually all BD players have internet capability these days. The difference in price between one with WiFi built in and one that is wired-only is only $20 at most, so I don't see any reason to go with a separate box with the attendant need to take up another HDMI input on the tv, switching of inputs for different functions, etc. The only BD player I've seen lately that has no internet capability was a $59 Sieki that I wouldn't own anyway. $30 more (less than the cost of a Roku box) will easily buy you a fully featured WiFi included player with 3D capability thrown in.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
^^^Reminds me of the Samsung UN55ES8000 endcap display at work. This is nominally Samsung's top of the line set with dual-core processor, voice and gesture control, every possible bell/whistle on an edge-lit led/lcd. About 7 months ago the Samsung reps came in and overhauled their endcap display for this set specifically to tout the ability to play Angy Birds using it's gesture control feature. No mention of anything to do with picture quality or anything else, just the Angry Birds game. Since then every little kid who enters the store stands in front of the set waving their grubby paws at it or actually rubbing their hands on the screen in an unsuccesful attempt to play this silly game on a top of the line $2700 tv set whose gesture recognition is woefully poor compared to a $129 Wii.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks