Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek The Next Generation Season Three available for preorder

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 of 53 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 26 2013 - 07:37 AM

Never happen.  That would put people out of the theater at 10 pm, local time.  Plus, as much as I love BoBW and Trek, sitting through a 90-ish minute double episode was hard at the end.  I'd prefer to have Emissary on its own...but I hold out no hope of DS9 getting a theater release. 

For this to happen, the start time would need to be earlier in the evening and that would be very difficult for some people coming from work.

#42 of 53 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted May 02 2013 - 03:06 AM

Set's been out since Tuesday. Been able to watch a couple of episodes.

Two minor things I've noticed so far...

First off, this is the first season with the "normal" TNG look as far as lighting and sets go. The horrible spandex uniforms are mostly gone, replaced by the classic look uniforms used for the rest of the series.

And about the uniforms... first off, I'd never really noticed the seams running down the front of the tunics before. Also, the new uniforms are definitely a deeper, richer color in HD.

And one more minor thing... was Counselor Troi's lipstick always so bright? It's like someone painted her lips with neon.

#43 of 53 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 02 2013 - 06:14 AM

First off, this is the first season with the "normal" TNG look as far as lighting and sets go. The horrible spandex uniforms are mostly gone, replaced by the classic look uniforms used for the rest of the series.

And about the uniforms... first off, I'd never really noticed the seams running down the front of the tunics before. Also, the new uniforms are definitely a deeper, richer color in HD.

I think the early S3 uniforms-the ones with the very visible lines-get phased out over the season.  By BoBW, the "standard" uniform is in place for all regulars.  I noticed the lines in the blooper reel last week during the BoBW event.

#44 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted May 02 2013 - 07:51 AM

While the BRs look great, I think the lighting was meant to compensate for the low resolution of tape, particularly on the bridge.

#45 of 53 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 02:54 PM

i was at my local bj's and they are having the standard dvd reases for around 24 dollars a season. some of the latter seasons are going for 29 dollars.

#46 of 53 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,549 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 07:00 AM

When THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS was originally shown, none of the fans knew that it was going to be a cliffhanger at the end of Season 3. It was not promoted that way and how it all concluded just left everyone hanging in suspense over the whole summer. It was obsessively talked about among fans and wild conjectures came about because of the cliffhanger. It was the most talked about cliffhanger since THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK while waiting three years for RETURN OF THE JEDI. The novelty of all that excitement may have worn off over time but the fans who watched the series originally on TV remember it very well.

Good summation. I remember people who were not even fans discussing the cliffhanger ending of season 3. I'd compare it to the 'Who Shot J.R.?' craze from the original DALLAS (I never watched DALLAS, but everybody talked about that cliffhanger.)

I've never seen BOBW as an edited feature, and don't think I'd want to. The cliffhanger made it a classic. And I never thought the second half was as gripping as the first half.

#47 of 53 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 04 2013 - 07:25 AM

When THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS was originally shown, none of the fans knew that it was going to be a cliffhanger at the end of Season 3. It was not promoted that way and how it all concluded just left everyone hanging in suspense over the whole summer. It was obsessively talked about among fans and wild conjectures came about because of the cliffhanger. It was the most talked about cliffhanger since THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK while waiting three years for RETURN OF THE JEDI. The novelty of all that excitement may have worn off over time but the fans who watched the series originally on TV remember it very well.

I don't think that's quite right.  Some mainstream publication-TVGuide, probably-would have mentioned that in either a feature article or in their "spotlight" pieces devoted to different shows.  I can confirm later this summer when I get my newspaper clippings from my parents.  I should have something stashed in the old scrapbook. 

• benbess likes this

#48 of 53 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,726 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 10:17 PM

Just finished "The Ensigns of Command"(Melinda Snodgrass I Love You...BRAVO!) what a great episode.

Jaw droppingly beautiful, and  perfect in every regard!  Yes, season 3 is my absolute favorite.  Seeing it in HD is like watching it again for the first time.  To Trekkies that have not jumped into the world of Blu-Ray, please do so.  It is only logical :)

Some days it is great to be a Star Trek fanatic.

Edited by Bryan^H, May 04 2013 - 10:20 PM.

• Ockeghem likes this

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#49 of 53 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,411 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 04:42 AM

Bryan,

Wasn't that the episode where the actor who plays Gosheven doesn't actually say anything in the episode due to a contract (or other) dispute of sorts?  I never researched that, but I recall hearing about it years ago.

#50 of 53 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 05 2013 - 07:04 AM

^ That would be it.  The actor was unhappy with his performance and requested his lines be dubbed by someone else. 

#51 of 53 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,726 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 10:25 AM

Bryan,

Wasn't that the episode where the actor who plays Gosheven doesn't actually say anything in the episode due to a contract (or other) dispute of sorts?  I never researched that, but I recall hearing about it years ago.

Hmm.  I never heard that bit of Trek trivia, but Jason knew the answer.  Interesting, I  didn't even noticed that the actor was dubbed.

Tonight I will watch another of my favorites "The Survivors".

Edited by Bryan^H, May 05 2013 - 10:26 AM.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#52 of 53 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,411 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 12:15 PM

^ That would be it.  The actor was unhappy with his performance and requested his lines be dubbed by someone else. 

Jason,

Thanks. :)

Bryan,

I must admit, I have watched (more than once) for the dubbed lines spoken by the actor and still couldn't tell.

#53 of 53 ONLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,941 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 05:49 AM

Tonight I will watch another of my favorites "The Survivors".

One of the all-time great episodes!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users