-

Photo
- - - - -

Bass Module / Sony STR dh520 compatibility question.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   rynegold

rynegold

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 02:09 AM

I bought a new Sony STR DH-520. I wired the speakers as per the instructions, then ran them throught an old Bose Acoustimas bass module And I have virtually NO bass from my module. So I'm thinking "what have I wired wrong" or... what is set wrong on the reciever? I'm pretty old school and can't seem to find the problem. I've read somwhere that "some" subwoofer/bass mods are not compatible, because it is passive and the sony receiver (like the str dh520 perhaps??) only supports active subs. So in that vein, I'm thinking of buying a Definitive Technology Super Cube III if that would solve my problem. Does the super cube III just plug into the sub woofer jack on the back of my receiver? or do the other speakers run through it like the bass module requires? And if that's the case; what's with all the extra inputs on the back of the Super Cube III? It looks complicated. What I'm after is a good stereo/TV surround sound system that I can use for all around audio: TV/DVD, stereo from both radio and CD. Any help appreciated. regards, mitch

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   rynegold

rynegold

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 02:14 AM

Sorry, I should have added that for speakers, I'm using 3 (left, right, and center), paired Acoustimas Bose speakers... the little double cube ones.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,914 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 03 2013 - 02:21 AM

How did you wire up the Bose? There is only 1 way to do it. All three channels go to the bass mudule first, then the cubes are wired to it. Then in the set-up of the AVR you set it as "no sub"...cause you aren't using the .1 pre-out. Any other "wiring scenario" is wrong.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   rynegold

rynegold

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 03:23 AM

Thanks schan... I'm truly ignorant of modern tuners. So yes, that's how I've got it wired, but I've looked in my manual and can't find what AVR is or means... what is it? how do I find it on my tuner?

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,914 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 03:38 AM

Audio Video Receiver(in your case, the Sony)

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   rynegold

rynegold

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ok... what-do-I-do...... to turn "off" the sub woffer even though there is none attached? I mean I get the concept/idea, I just can't find how to go about doing it. I have the manual, and I've looked it over again several times and can't find a reference to that function/choice. What page is it on? or, how/what steps do I take to do that? thanks, mitch

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,914 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:34 PM

The same area where you told it you have a center speaker. Did you tell it there was a subwoofer? That is the only way the bass module isn't doing anything...if you've got it wired right. So...did you tell it there was a center? Cause if you did...how can you not find the rest of speaker set-up?

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 06:07 AM

Ok... what-do-I-do...... to turn "off" the sub woffer even though there is none attached? I mean I get the concept/idea, I just can't find how to go about doing it. I have the manual, and I've looked it over again several times and can't find a reference to that function/choice. What page is it on? or, how/what steps do I take to do that? thanks, mitch

Your Sony setup is a little unconventional compared to other receivers. go to page 30 in your owner's manual (speaker pattern setup) and select "3/0" as your "speaker pattern".
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   rynegold

rynegold

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 11:06 AM

Steve, that is indeed how I've set it up. But none the less, I still have minimal bass response. So if I got a supercube III, what would that improve? anything?

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,914 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 11:21 AM

First thing to do, get rid of the am7 and get some real speakers.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   rynegold

rynegold

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 01:44 PM

Great! what would you recommend? And; would you get a good sub woofer like the supercube III or Klipsch?, ditching the Bose stuff (bass module included) altogether?

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,914 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 02:12 AM

Well, almost anything will sound better...even these... http://www.amazon.co...s=sony ssf-6000 And if those are too big(which would be understandable...cause those are big) http://www.amazon.co...s=sony ss-b3000 (there is an even smaller one...the 1000) Just to "see what you are missing"...I'd pick up a pair of either to play "with"(really meaning alongside) the Bose...just so you know how bad the Bose is. Then you can pick "whatever you want"....cause practically anything is better than the Sony SS series(they are good speakers...but you can't expect great...at the price point)...and even they are superb next to anything in the AM series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users