What's new

Bass Module / Sony STR dh520 compatibility question. (1 Viewer)

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
I bought a new Sony STR DH-520. I wired the speakers as per the instructions, then ran them throught an old Bose Acoustimas bass module And I have virtually NO bass from my module. So I'm thinking "what have I wired wrong" or... what is set wrong on the reciever? I'm pretty old school and can't seem to find the problem. I've read somwhere that "some" subwoofer/bass mods are not compatible, because it is passive and the sony receiver (like the str dh520 perhaps??) only supports active subs. So in that vein, I'm thinking of buying a Definitive Technology Super Cube III if that would solve my problem. Does the super cube III just plug into the sub woofer jack on the back of my receiver? or do the other speakers run through it like the bass module requires? And if that's the case; what's with all the extra inputs on the back of the Super Cube III? It looks complicated. What I'm after is a good stereo/TV surround sound system that I can use for all around audio: TV/DVD, stereo from both radio and CD. Any help appreciated. regards, mitch

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
Sorry, I should have added that for speakers, I'm using 3 (left, right, and center), paired Acoustimas Bose speakers... the little double cube ones.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How did you wire up the Bose? There is only 1 way to do it. All three channels go to the bass mudule first, then the cubes are wired to it. Then in the set-up of the AVR you set it as "no sub"...cause you aren't using the .1 pre-out. Any other "wiring scenario" is wrong.

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
Thanks schan... I'm truly ignorant of modern tuners. So yes, that's how I've got it wired, but I've looked in my manual and can't find what AVR is or means... what is it? how do I find it on my tuner?

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
Ok... what-do-I-do...... to turn "off" the sub woffer even though there is none attached? I mean I get the concept/idea, I just can't find how to go about doing it. I have the manual, and I've looked it over again several times and can't find a reference to that function/choice. What page is it on? or, how/what steps do I take to do that? thanks, mitch

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The same area where you told it you have a center speaker. Did you tell it there was a subwoofer? That is the only way the bass module isn't doing anything...if you've got it wired right. So...did you tell it there was a center? Cause if you did...how can you not find the rest of speaker set-up?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
rynegold said:
Ok... what-do-I-do...... to turn "off" the sub woffer even though there is none attached? I mean I get the concept/idea, I just can't find how to go about doing it. I have the manual, and I've looked it over again several times and can't find a reference to that function/choice. What page is it on? or, how/what steps do I take to do that? thanks, mitch
Your Sony setup is a little unconventional compared to other receivers. go to page 30 in your owner's manual (speaker pattern setup) and select "3/0" as your "speaker pattern".

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
Steve, that is indeed how I've set it up. But none the less, I still have minimal bass response. So if I got a supercube III, what would that improve? anything?

rynegold

Grip
Real Name
mitch wilkins
Great! what would you recommend? And; would you get a good sub woofer like the supercube III or Klipsch?, ditching the Bose stuff (bass module included) altogether?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, almost anything will sound better...even these... http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-F6000-Floorstanding-4-Way-Speakers/dp/B000OG4E20/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360163309&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+ssf-6000 And if those are too big(which would be understandable...cause those are big) http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360163364&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+ss-b3000 (there is an even smaller one...the 1000) Just to "see what you are missing"...I'd pick up a pair of either to play "with"(really meaning alongside) the Bose...just so you know how bad the Bose is. Then you can pick "whatever you want"....cause practically anything is better than the Sony SS series(they are good speakers...but you can't expect great...at the price point)...and even they are superb next to anything in the AM series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks