What's new

setup for a 7.2 home teature system (1 Viewer)

Thayan T

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny
Hi There.I have the "Acoustimass® 10 speaker system" and a "Harman Kardon AVR7550HD 7.2 Channel Audio/Video Receiver" , how can i utilize all 7 channels and 2 sub woofers , right now i can plug in 5 speakers and one sub with the BOSE. Any suggestion on how i can plug in 2 more speakers and one sub woofer, please advise. thanks dan

Thayan T

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny
i want all this in one zone. Can i add 2 towers speakers in the front with a passive sub in the front. AND Add the BOSE centre , mid and rear speakers with the powered sub at the back? Will this setup kill the Bose sound system?

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
I would start with two towers and a good center channel first, then a sub, then some good surrounds. You see where I'm going with this. Are the Bose brand new? One thing you did well was the receiver for sure.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Thayan T
right now i can plug in 5 speakers and one sub with the BOSE.
Any suggestion on how i can plug in 2 more speakers and one sub woofer, please advise.
Right now, you can plug in 5 speakers and one "bass module". It's not a subwoofer by any definition of the term.
The Bose system is going to hold you back in terms of performance. If you're open to getting all new speakers (the Bose at least will get you a decent return on your investment, as there seem to be lots of people willing to shell out some cash for them), let us know what you get for the Bose and what your overall budget is and we can recommend some far better options.
As for "adding 2 more speakers and a sub" - does your room lend itself to a proper 7.1 layout? Just adding more speakers to the room won't necessarily result in a better experience. A "properly" set up 5.1 is superior to a lousy 7.1 configuration. If you aren't sure, check out these placement guidelines from Dolby that describe what the ideal setup is for both 5.1 and 7.1 configurations. In a nutshell, stick with 5.1 unless you have several feet of room between the seating position and the rear wall.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Thayan T
Can i add 2 towers speakers in the front with a passive sub in the front.
Why would you want to use a passive subwoofer?
Also, if you get some tower speakers for the front, and keep that tiny Bose center speaker, your front soundstage is going to be VERY unbalanced.

Thayan T

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny
so this is what im thinking, two choice; 1) go with the " Klipsch RF-82II Home Theater Bundle-FREE BIC Acoustech PL-200 - Klipsch" OR 2) bose: Bose® Acoustimass® 10 Series IV home entertainment speaker system - Black thoughts?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First off, 99% of the receivers out there with two subwoofer outputs output the same mono signal out both of them. They're not stereo subwoofer outputs. The only difference is you may be able to set the volume levels and/or crossover frequencies seperately but I'm not sure how the H/K 7550 handles this. Just about any speaker package from any reputable speaker company will always be recommended over the Bose Acoustimass systems. Those are meant for people looking for form over function and performance. The Acoustimass systems aren't very popular on these types of forums. That Klipsch setup will trounce the Bose. But be carefull. The high effeciency of the Klipsch speakers and the outstanding amp section in the 7550 could cause permanent hearing damage. Those two together would play incedibly loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks