Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Mama's Family 30th Anniversary

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#101 of 237 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted June 27 2013 - 02:44 AM

http://timelife.com/...9uE.QpjFg8hnXWw

Aw, phooey--looks like they got the Season One episodes in the wrong order again (the airdate order).

#102 of 237 potnoodle

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted June 27 2013 - 03:51 AM

I noticed that also. StarVista probably doesn't know anything about the show being shut down after the first few episodes were produced, and then retooled to make the characters more likeable. They probably just assume that NBC aired the shows in the logical order, not knowing that the first few episodes with Vint still unmarried were buried later in the first season. No big loss, I will just watch the first season in the correct order.

#103 of 237 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted August 19 2013 - 04:35 PM

TVShowsonDVD has the press releases for The Complete First and Second Seasons as well as Mama's Favorites Seasons 1 & 2.

http://www.tvshowson...s-1-and-2/18869

#104 of 237 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 879 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 04:40 PM

Can't wait and looking forward to re-visiting Mam's Family once again in a few weeks time...in its original version and format.

#105 of 237 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted August 19 2013 - 06:00 PM

Am I the only one who thinks $100 is a bit steep just to have it signed by Vicki?

Are season 3-6 going to be released separately?

Point of information: I finally pre-ordered the dang thing...you'd think I'd have done so, on the first day, seeing as how I've been pining away for this poor show since I joined the forum back in 2005. I opted for the installment plan, seeing as how it was 0% interest. My credit card charges quite enough interest, thank you very much. And now...to wait...two weeks...just two more weeks...

Edited by Ethan Riley, August 19 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#106 of 237 potnoodle

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'm sure StarVista is planning to release all six seasons, depending of course on sales of season 2.  Since a lot of fans probably bought the botched Warner release, the sales of the first season probably aren't as important as season 2. 

I ordered the complete set on the second day it was available for pre-order, but even if I had waited, I couldn't justify paying $300 just for Vicki's autograph.  I bought a Ken Berry autographed Mama's Family script off of Ebay for $35 but wouldn't have gone much higher.

#107 of 237 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 879 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 04:12 PM

Again, it all depends on one's finances as to whether or not they want to get the complete series set and yes, it is a bit steep in price, but I think TL/Starvista has coupon codes online or you can do a search for them to help defray the costs a little bit. After waiting all this time to get pristine versions of this show, depending on your tastes and finances, go with your gut feeling and get it or get the best of episodes as samplers to determine if it is worth the investment in the complete box series set. I totally love this show!!! But ask yourselves as well...do you really need her autograph at that said price?

#108 of 237 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted August 30 2013 - 09:48 AM

Again, it all depends on one's finances as to whether or not they want to get the complete series set and yes, it is a bit steep in price, but I think TL/Starvista has coupon codes online or you can do a search for them to help defray the costs a little bit. After waiting all this time to get pristine versions of this show, depending on your tastes and finances, go with your gut feeling and get it or get the best of episodes as samplers to determine if it is worth the investment in the complete box series set. I totally love this show!!! But ask yourselves as well...do you really need her autograph at that said price?

The basic complete series set isn't that steep in price, IMO... A little over 30 bucks per season. That's not too far off the mark from, say, the average Shout or CBS release. It's just laying out the cash all at once that makes it look expensive, while picking them up at 30 bucks a pop over the course of a year or two wouldn't be as noticeable.

But a hundred bucks for an autograph? Yeah, that's expensive.

Oh, and I just ordered my set, since we're close to the release date. Sure, it says Sept. 2, but I doubt anyone's shipping anything on Labor Day... so let's call it a September 3 release.

Edited by The Obsolete Man, August 30 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#109 of 237 potnoodle

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 03:54 PM

Oh, and I just ordered my set, since we're close to the release date. Sure, it says Sept. 2, but I doubt anyone's shipping anything on Labor Day... so let's call it a September 3 release.

The bad news is that the ship date has been pushed back to the week of Sept. 11, according to their website. Since the season sets hit the stores on Sept. 10, that means that those that pre-ordered the complete series will actually get their sets days after fans that buy the season releases in the stores.  That's called dropping the ball, Time-Life.

#110 of 237 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 879 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 06:00 PM

The basic complete series set isn't that steep in price, IMO... A little over 30 bucks per season. That's not too far off the mark from, say, the average Shout or CBS release. It's just laying out the cash all at once that makes it look expensive, while picking them up at 30 bucks a pop over the course of a year or two wouldn't be as noticeable.

But a hundred bucks for an autograph? Yeah, that's expensive.

I agree with yo and again, to each his/her own but to own an outright autographed edition of the set at that price is just way too much for my wallet and getting them by season works a little better or getting the regular/standard DVD set without the autograph and I believe Starvista/TL have coupon codes to help offset the costs a little bit, but again, it's to the individual's taste as to whether or not they feel it's worth paying that kind of money for that set. Now the Dean Martin Roasts Complete Set that comes out later next month, that I'd be in for in a heartbeat.

#111 of 237 potnoodle

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:41 AM

I guess we could have seen this coming... from Time-Life's Facebook page:

158002_59290172844_2071320215_q.jpg

Time Life I apologize for the delay in reply. The set appears to have been delayed at the manufacturer, though we are working hard with them to try to get it shipped out this week. We'll announce here when they start to go out. Sets are shipping in order the purchases were placed. So, if you purchased in June, you will ship out on the first day they are available.

So barring a miracle, it's going to be at least another week or two before the complete series sets start to ship. I wonder if the delay only affects the complete series or will the season sets that are supposed to be in the stores on Sept. 10 will also be delayed? 

Edited by potnoodle, September 02 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#112 of 237 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 879 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 04:14 PM

I guess we could have seen this coming... from Time-Life's Facebook page:

158002_59290172844_2071320215_q.jpg

Time Life I apologize for the delay in reply. The set appears to have been delayed at the manufacturer, though we are working hard with them to try to get it shipped out this week. We'll announce here when they start to go out. Sets are shipping in order the purchases were placed. So, if you purchased in June, you will ship out on the first day they are available.

So barring a miracle, it's going to be at least another week or two before the complete series sets start to ship. I wonder if the delay only affects the complete series or will the season sets that are supposed to be in the stores on Sept. 10 will also be delayed also? 

And also don't forget the Season 1 and 2 Best of Episodes DVDs that are supposed to be coming out a week from tomorrow.

#113 of 237 TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 04:23 PM

I saw Mama's Family Season One & Season Two sets from Time Life/Star Vista at Best Buy yesterday.

#114 of 237 MONSTOYS

MONSTOYS

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 08:09 AM

I was thrilled to get my copy from the studio in advance and guess what folks? Some of these are the SYNDICATED EDITED versons which were already released on the previous dvd set. So, WHY would TIME LIFE announce these as the UNEDITED original Braodcast versions? I think it's all about the cash.
This was also a problem when they released the "UNEDITED" Carol Burnett show dvds. They KNEW they were edited, but, ultimately it's about the cash folks! Would they sell as many copies of an EDITED dvd set or the original broadcast UNEDITED dvd set?
I'm truly disappointed and I'm canceling my MAMA's Family COMPLETE box set which I had previously had on order through time life. This company just doesn't seem to get "it"!

#115 of 237 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 08:36 AM

Details, please. What was edited?

#116 of 237 MONSTOYS

MONSTOYS

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hi Ethan,

I actually went and timed every episode for you. Last night I went directly to check my favorite episode and looked over disc two and I found the edited episodes on that disc.

I looked over all 3 discs and here are the details. All shows BUT TWO are complete.

All shows run close to 25 mins or 24:59 or such. The two edited episodes are

CELLMATES 21:23 and MAMA'S BOYFRIEND 21:24

What is upsetting to me is again the sales pitch....UNEDITED as ORIGINALLY BROADCAST.

I would not be as upset if there was some mention that not ALL episodes where available. Just disappointing.

Hope this helps you out.

Edited by MONSTOYS, September 05 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#117 of 237 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 11:21 AM

Good to know. I'll take a look at those two when I get my set. Maybe they'll recall those discs. Who knows? Maybe they found the errors already and that's why they delayed the shipping. Let's see what happens. Take care.

#118 of 237 potnoodle

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hi Ethan,

I actually went and timed every episode for you. Last night I went directly to check my favorite episode and looked over disc two and I found the edited episodes on that disc.

I looked over all 3 discs and here are the details. All shows BUT TWO are complete.

All shows run close to 25 mins or 24:59 or such. The two edited episodes are

CELLMATES 21:23 and MAMA'S BOYFRIEND 21:24

What is upsetting to me is again the sales pitch....UNEDITED as ORIGINALLY BROADCAST.

I would not be as upset if there was some mention that not ALL episodes where available. Just disappointing.

Hope this helps you out.

Blessings, Rob

Did you get advance copies of both Season 1 and Season 2?  If so, were there any episodes in Season 2 that were edited. Both episodes you mentioned are from Season 1 only.  This is obviously very disturbing news. StarVista has said over and over since these releases were announced that the NBC episodes were the "Joe Hamilton cuts", that is the original unedited masters and not the edited syndication versions. They also originally claimed (and it still appears on the Amazon listing for Season 2) that there are five Family sketches from the Burnett Show included as extras. Again, if you have the Season 2 discs, are these included? Thanks for the heads up.

#119 of 237 MONSTOYS

MONSTOYS

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 03:48 PM

HI Potnoodle,

Season two should have arrived along with this season one. Not sure why the delay, but the moment it arrivesI'll be looking over and relaying what I have found here.

On the set I do have, season one, there is 2 special features. A restropective titled Mama's Family Tree and 1 Family sketch from the Carol Burnett show from Dec. 11 1976 "The Attic".

Rob

Edited by MONSTOYS, September 05 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#120 of 237 potnoodle

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 04:09 PM

HI Potnoodle,

Season two should have arrived along with this season one. Not sure why the delay, but the moment it arrivesI'll be looking over and relaying what I have found here.

On the set I do have, season one, there is 2 special features. A restropective titled Mama's Family Tree and 1 Family sketch from the Carol Burnett show from Dec. 11 1976 "The Attic".

Rob

Thank you Rob. There is a comment on Time-Life's Facebook page from someone who bought both season 1 and 2 at Best Buy who says that there are a total of six edited episodes over both seasons. So that means that four episodes from Season 2 are also edited. Boy does that stink. Completely unethical and dishonest behavior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users