Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Mama's Family 30th Anniversary

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#201 of 237 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,541 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:32 PM

12? I thought it was only 6 episodes though.

I believe the 6 episode count was simply from Seasons 1 and 2, which some people had snagged early from some B&M stores.  No one had any idea what additional cuts might lie in Seasons 3 - 6, which are currently only available in the box.

#202 of 237 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,412 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 03:40 PM

The extras are placed throughout the set because they will eventually offer each six seasons separately.

BOTTOM LINE: SHEESH!!

#203 of 237 OFFLINE   gogo.there

gogo.there

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 04:38 PM

The extras are placed throughout the set because they will eventually offer each six seasons separately.

BOTTOM LINE: SHEESH!!

BOTTOM LINE - IT WAS A WASTE SPREADING THE EXTRAS OVER THE 6 SEASONS

BOTTOM LINE - IF THEY DONE IT THE CORRECT WAY - THEY COULD STILL RELEASES ALL 6 SEASONS + THE BONUS DISC SET ALSO (LIKE MASH DID)  AND SAVED MONEY  + AFFORDED TO GIVE US A DECENT SET WITHOUT THE LAME EDITS

#204 of 237 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,242 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 12 2013 - 04:53 PM

BOTTOM LINE - IT WAS A WASTE SPREADING THE EXTRAS OVER THE 6 SEASONS

BOTTOM LINE - IF THEY DONE IT THE CORRECT WAY - THEY COULD STILL RELEASES ALL 6 SEASONS + THE BONUS DISC SET ALSO (LIKE MASH DID)  AND SAVED MONEY  + AFFORDED TO GIVE US A DECENT SET WITHOUT THE LAME EDITS

Bottom line is you came here with an ax to grind and you'll most likely be gone before long.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#205 of 237 ONLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,558 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 12 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'm very grateful that they included the "Eunice" TV movie in the separately available Season Two, as that's the main thing that interests me.  Seasons one and two and I'm done, thank you.

#206 of 237 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,881 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 12 2013 - 07:36 PM

Learn the context of what was said,  nobody was being called a name, the words used were descriptive of their actions  not them as people.  If people like them can not take criticism then their parents raised winey kids who think it is not ok to call people on the carpet for the lax descion making.  Which is horrible, if you make errors you need to be told. Stop being so PC, that is sickening.

Oh good gief.  Let's parse what was said:

You called people "snot nosed."  The definition on dictionary.com says this means "arrogant."  Usually, this isn't a term of endearment from one person to another.

You said they were "too stupid."  This suggests they lack intelligence as human beings to beings to know one thing from another.  That is never considered a term of endearment.

You also said they had "no brains or common sense." This again implies the people making decisions have no intelligence.  See comment on previous point.

Another point: if you're being the dictionary police, you might want to figure out how to spell "whiny."  It's not "whiney." 

It's not me being PC.  It's me knowing how to be a professional adult and get things done.  Any rational person would have tuned you out a long time ago because you want to start fights.  Fine.  You're on ignore because I don't want to deal with you.

#207 of 237 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,412 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'm sad about the cuts. I'm buying it anyway.

#208 of 237 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,896 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 13 2013 - 11:32 AM

Just arrived. What a great weekend ahead.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#209 of 237 OFFLINE   gogo.there

gogo.there

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 01:31 PM

Oh good gief.  Let's parse what was said:

You called people "snot nosed."  The definition on dictionary.com says this means "arrogant."  Usually, this isn't a term of endearment from one person to another.

You said they were "too stupid."  This suggests they lack intelligence as human beings to beings to know one thing from another.  That is never considered a term of endearment.

You also said they had "no brains or common sense." This again implies the people making decisions have no intelligence.  See comment on previous point.

Another point: if you're being the dictionary police, you might want to figure out how to spell "whiny."  It's not "whiney." 

It's not me being PC.  It's me knowing how to be a professional adult and get things done.  Any rational person would have tuned you out a long time ago because you want to start fights.  Fine.  You're on ignore because I don't want to deal with you.

yes it is you being PC and yes theywere acting arrogant and do not know what they are doing - beacuse they used too many discs for the release + if they had done the configuration as on other page, they would have saved more than enough money (in discs + glass masters + labor) to afford all the material they cut - they were plain idiots  and because of uneducated people like you that allow compainies to just shovel any crap out as a release and you by it, shows that they can keep it up,  punishing people who only want high quality releases

#210 of 237 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,412 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 01:37 PM

No...I told you they had to space out the extras over multiple discs because the season sets will be sold individually. They did it exactly right.

#211 of 237 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,420 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 13 2013 - 01:44 PM

yes it is you being PC and yes theywere acting arrogant and do not know what they are doing - beacuse they used too many discs for the release + if they had done the configuration as on other page, they would have saved more than enough money (in discs + glass masters + labor) to afford all the material they cut - they were plain idiots  and because of uneducated people like you that allow compainies to just shovel any crap out as a release and you by it, shows that they can keep it up,  punishing people who only want high quality releases

Stop with the insults! 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#212 of 237 OFFLINE   John Karras

John Karras

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 06:55 PM

TWELVE cuts/replacements?? Aye yie yie...

Thanks to justegofficial for auditing the episodes to determine music cuts. Wow, TL made the statement that they cleared most of the music for the series, but after adding up the music cuts, it raises the question "what music did they actually clear????" Maybe after further auditing, a list can be produced of music that was cleared for this set.

#213 of 237 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted September 13 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thanks to justegofficial for auditing the episodes to determine music cuts. Wow, TL made the statement that they cleared most of the music for the series, but after adding up the music cuts, it raises the question "what music did they actually clear????" Maybe after further auditing, a list can be produced of music that was cleared for this set.

This series didn't have that much music in it and what Mama sang the very few times that she did, weren't they written by the writers or even Vicki herself? so I don't know what would have to be cleared unless Eunice's song from The Wedding Part 2 wasn't something written for the episode.

We already know about Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and Happy Days Are Here Again, after those two, I can't recall what else would have to cleared.

#214 of 237 OFFLINE   justegofficial

justegofficial

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 03:31 AM

This series didn't have that much music in it and what Mama sang the very few times that she did, weren't they written by the writers or even Vicki herself? so I don't know what would have to be cleared unless Eunice's song from The Wedding Part 2 wasn't something written for the episode.

We already know about Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and Happy Days Are Here Again, after those two, I can't recall what else would have to cleared.

You'd be surprised just how much music the show used. I sat down the other night and watched the first five episodes and there were a bunch of songs - mostly sung by characters. From memory, in "For Better or for Worse" Vint and Naomi sing Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" and the Mr. Ed theme song (both cleared for the DVD), In "The Wedding (1)" Vint sings "Get Me to the Church on Time" from My Fair Lady (cleared for the DVD), the women all sing "Hard Hearted Hannah" (though that may be in the public domain, I'm not sure) and Eunice sings "Oh Promise Me" (may be in the public domain, too), in "The Wedding (2)" Eunice sings "Oh Promise Me" again and in "Family Feud" they used the Family Feud theme song. Those are just the first five episodes off the top of my head. Some others I can remember from other seasons: "Rollin on the River" was sung by Thelma in "Dependence Day," The Jeopardy theme song was used for the "Jeopardy" episode, "Sugartime" by the McGuire Sisters was sung by the Bonecrushers in "Bubba's House Band," in a flashback in "Sins of the Mother," Eunice sings the "Mother" song, in "Mama in One," the songs they didn't cut were Frank Sinatra's "Brazil," "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" and Frank Sinatra's "Me and My Shadow" and of course, the several times the "Happy Birthday" song was sung throughout the series (you have to pay to use that, too) - and those are just some I've thought of without the list of episodes in front of me. The more episodes I watch, the more I'm starting to think that we really got lucky with this set having ONLY a dozen or so music edits.

Edited by justegofficial, September 14 2013 - 03:40 AM.

#215 of 237 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,412 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 03:58 AM

Thanks, Justego...never realized they'd used so much! Forgot about almost all of these.

Edited by Ethan Riley, September 14 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#216 of 237 OFFLINE   gogo.there

gogo.there

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 06:24 PM

No...I told you they had to space out the extras over multiple discs because the season sets will be sold individually. They did it exactly right.

spacing them out wasted disc space and wasted money - money which could have been used to pay the rights for the MATERIAL FROM THE EDITS

#217 of 237 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,412 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 06:57 PM

spacing them out wasted disc space and wasted money - money which could have been used to pay the rights for the MATERIAL FROM THE EDITS

No. You were not listening. The extras were spaced out for a reason. The reason is because all six seasons will be sold separately. And therefore, each season set must have its own extras. If this series were only to be released in one big boxed set, then things would be different. But even if they hadn't wasted more discs, it still doesn't mean they would have been able to afford to clear more songs.

I hope this clears things up for you, but I wouldn't think so. And I'm sure you'll not see this post, seeing as how you're here insulting people and calling the moderator names. Nice doin' business with ya...

#218 of 237 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,242 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted September 14 2013 - 07:17 PM

No. You were not listening. The extras were spaced out for a reason. The reason is because all six seasons will be sold separately. And therefore, each season set must have its own extras. If this series were only to be released in one big boxed set, then things would be different. But even if they hadn't wasted more discs, it still doesn't mean they would have been able to afford to clear more songs.

I hope this clears things up for you, but I wouldn't think so. And I'm sure you'll not see this post, seeing as how you're here insulting people and calling the moderator names. Nice doin' business with ya...

I'm no expert on how many shows fit on a DVD without compromising quality but don't I hear people complaining all the time about TOO MANY shows being crammed on DVD's thereby causing picture quality issues? You just can't please everybody! :lol:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#219 of 237 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,420 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 14 2013 - 09:10 PM

Now, back to our regular scheduled programming discussion!

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#220 of 237 OFFLINE   justegofficial

justegofficial

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 12:57 PM

Time Life has officially confirmed on their Facebook page what we all knew already - that the episodes "Cellmates" and "Mama's Boyfriend" are the syndicated edits:

After a lengthy investigation with our partners at the estate of the original producer of Mama’s Family, we are able to confirm the unfortunate news that the original broadcast masters for “Cellmates,” Episode 6 from Season 1 (Episode #7008) and “Mama’s Boyfriend,” Episode 9 from Season 1 (Episode #7010) have not withstood the test of time and were lost.We share in the great disappointment at the loss of these TV treasures, especially the Harvey Korman intros for those episodes. Our Web site has been updated to note this change.We’d like to thank everyone for their support of this project. We feel strongly that Mama’s Family fans will love this collection, the beautiful collector’s box and almost 13 hours of new bonus materials. And, we look forward to creating more amazing classic television collections for you in the future.
The update on their order page is under the Season 1 description (which should be in the description of the set, not in the episode guide, but at least they put a message there) and it says:

Unfortunately the original broadcast masters for “Cellmates,” Episode 6 and “Mama’s Boyfriend,” Episode 9 have been lost to time. Those two episodes are the syndicated versions.
I'm glad they finally acknowledged this publicly, but I'm not giving up hope that someone out there somewhere has a copy of those episodes from their original broadcast (that they taped on video) and we all can at least get a copy of - regardless of the quality. Hopefully one day we'll be able to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users