What's new

The Impossible - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"The Impossible" is based on a true story of the effects of the famous tsunami that hit southeast Asia in 2004 around Christmas on a family of 5 visiting a resort for holiday. Henry and Maria (played by Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts) along with their 3 sons have their lives torn apart, along with the rest of the victims of the tsunami, and struggle to stay alive and find their way back to each other. Maria and eldest son Lucas form a pair after surviving the onslaught and being shuttled through the area from the tremendous flow of water and treacherous debris. Henry and the 2 other sons have their own struggles. Overall, a pretty strong and straight forward film of survival and hope in bleak times for this family, representing a microcosm of the harrowing after-effects of a natural disaster for all who were swept away. Naomi Watts does solid work, the eldest boy (played by Tom Holland) is also good. McGregor has less to work with in the script, but does push the film's plot along. You'll hug your family a little more urgently after seeing this film. I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Interestingly enough, you gave Eastwood's "Hereafter" the same grade. I know they're different stories with the tsunami being the only common element, but I admit I'm a sucker for exercises in compare and contrast. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"The Impossible" is far more visceral and just a bunch of tangled nerve-endings just ready to fire upon anything it comes into contact with it. "The Hereafter" is more heady and metaphysical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks