Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Jack Arnold on TCM on 01/04/13

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,010 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 03 2013 - 01:31 PM

Starting at 7pm (CST) TCM will present CFTBL, Tarantula, Incredible Shrinking Man, and ICFOS. Tarantula is important to me since my DVD is going bad. I have all of these on DVD but the TCM intros usually contain a nugget of wisdom or two.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 11 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,674 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 03 2013 - 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

Starting at 7pm (CST) TCM will present CFTBL, Tarantula, Incredible Shrinking Man, and ICFOS. Tarantula is important to me since my DVD is going bad.
I have all of these on DVD but the TCM intros usually contain a nugget of wisdom or two.

I watched mine a few weeks ago and it was OK (though in the wrong aspect ratio, alas. My player has a feature that reframes so it worked out just fine). I've always loved this movie.

#3 of 11 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,436 posts

Posted January 06 2013 - 03:58 PM

I have Tarantula on my DVR. Curious to see it. I

all-banner.jpg

#4 of 11 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,674 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 07 2013 - 12:32 AM

I noticed TCM showed the 4:3 transfer, too.

#5 of 11 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,010 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 05:27 AM

I have Tarantula on my DVR. Curious to see it. I

I usually hate movies that use an actual animal to represent a giant monster. In this movie, using a real tarantula worked very well. They did Make a mistake, here and there, but the movie works. When you get a good scripts, good actors, good director, good Sfx, that can happen. Tarantula, IMHO, is one of the best monster movies of the 50's.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 11 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,478 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 02:02 AM

Tarantula, IMHO, is one of the best monster movies of the 50's.

Along with THEM and The Black Scorpion
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#7 of 11 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,010 posts

Posted January 17 2013 - 05:26 AM

Along with THEM and The Black Scorpion

I like both those movies but would probably rank them Them, Tarantula, and BS. Them is first because it's darn good story telling and BS third because it doesn't get me involved like the other two do. SFX wise, I'd rank Tarantula first followed by BS, and Them. The ants in Them have always been a bit cheesy to me. Them's strength is in the overall production values in the move: script, direction, acting. All top-notch. I wonder what it would have been like if Ray Harryhausen had done the ants in Them?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#8 of 11 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 05:24 AM

Starting at 7pm (CST) TCM will present CFTBL, Tarantula, Incredible Shrinking Man, and ICFOS. Tarantula is important to me since my DVD is going bad. I have all of these on DVD but the TCM intros usually contain a nugget of wisdom or two.

Pardon my asking, but what is CFTBL and ICFOS?

#9 of 11 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,674 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 27 2013 - 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain 

Pardon my asking, but what is CFTBL and ICFOS?

Creature from the Black Lagoon

It Came from Outer Space

#10 of 11 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,423 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 03:56 PM

A few months ago, I had the good fortune to see Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D at the Academy Theater. Julie Adams was on hand to reminisce about the film. Great fun :)

#11 of 11 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,010 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 06:45 AM

A few months ago, I had the good fortune to see Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D at the Academy Theater. Julie Adams was on hand to reminisce about the film. Great fun :)

I am so jealous. Having CFTBL on 3D blu-ray does not compare to that. Not even close. :)
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users