What's new

Pinnacle PS Sub 225, Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
Hey Guys.
I'm in the market for a new sub and i've come across this woofer; http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/pssub150.html
I've never really heard of Pinnacle before, so i wouldn't know the quality of their products. Anyone have any opinions?
It's a toss up between this Pinnacle subwoofer and a Polk PSW125. I've actually listened to the Polk subwoofer before and was pleased with its performance. However, I can get the Pinnacle subwoofer through one of my vendors where i work a lot cheaper than the PSW125.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jesse.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here it is on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Speakers-PS-225-Subwoofer/dp/B0015AB7U6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355174039&sr=1-1&keywords=pinnacle+sub+225
I'd call it the "next step up" from the BIC V1220 and F12 right before you head into Epik/HSU/Rythmik...

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
Thanks Sam for the advice!
The reason why I'm upgrading is, my setup is in my basement which is wide open. It's one big room, 1100Sqf to be precise. I've positioned my current sub (Pure Acoustics SLW10, 150W) where I believe to be its loudest in the room. I find it has a hard time keeping up with the bottom end in movies. When listening to music, its very wonderful. Hard hitting, very precise, but lacks a lot of bottom end. I don't think the sub will drop below 35Hz and I believe that's the issue. I've tried playing with the crossover on the sub and in my receiver and its at its loudest point.
By looking at the specs of the Pinnacle sub, it looks to have the ability to drop below 30Hz. So in theory, it should solve my issue? Should I consider getting 2 of them seeing my room is large?

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
Cool. I realized that now after I have moved. My setup was in a 250sqf room and my current sub was ample. So, would you recommend me going for 2 right off the bat or try 1 and go from there.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Reality???
I'd get three subs...
Here is what I would do in a room that size.(assuming you are trying to fill the entire thing)...and no, I don't expect all this "at once"...
One big sub(15" or bigger...find a used one if you have to...or build your own...not tough to do if you have the ability to "build a box". Seriously, it is harder to build a dog house)...
Two "smaller" in the 12" range. 10's will work as well here...
And this...(not this one, any one you find...)
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-SUPER-X-CX2310-Crossover-Standard/dp/B0002E58BK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355241680&sr=1-1&keywords=behringer+crossover
Basically, feed your sub output to the crossover..."high pass" it around 40-50hz.
Let the 15 play down around where it works best...40hz and under. Your "paired up" 10-12 can do the 40-50 to 80.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And I have a system where I've done that exact thing...
HK 3490(actually an older version, but you can find that one on Amazon) ran into a Dahlquist LP1(that is a crossover intended for the DQ10)
High pass of the LP1 leads back into the HK, which powers the DQ10.
Low pass runs into another crossover set at 60hz. (I have no idea what the crossover in the LP1 is, I've never cared to research it, but I assume somewhere along 100-120hz)
The 60hz and under goes to a 15" Altec Lansing "mutt" horn loaded subwoofer. That beast is powered by a Crown monoblock.
The 60hz and higher goes to a pair of 12" Cerwin Vega "car" woofers in a bandpass box. That is powered by a Kenwood M2A.

Norse

Grip
Real Name
Jesse Warwick
Wow, Thanks for the fountain of information.
I used to build subwoofer enclosures at my place of employement. I was fairly decent at it, but did lots of fiberglass enclosures. I do have a Kicker L5 15" sub that doesn't have a home so i may consider this option. Thanks for all your help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is the cheaper solution. Use that 15 with your current one...and easing the burden on your current one might make it acceptable to find another one of it...
Then, all you need are the crossover and another sub like you got.
By the way, it is the "mid bass" (60-90) that almost always causes problems. When you have a null, often the only choice is to double up your subs...cause no amount of power can get rid of a null. Only placement can*.
*And yes, there is the AntiMode 8033(8033??? not looking it up). But it costs as much as a 2nd subwoofer anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks