Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season Two Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 of 75 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:55 AM

The screenshot in that article has to be wrong or non-key frame.

http://www.hometheat...e/61/id/171348/

I'll put some uncompressed on my skydrive if people need a better comparison.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#22 of 75 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'll be curious to see just how glaring some of these shots look in motion, as the caps don't make them appear all too great. I'm sure if they are glaring enough CBS will offer replacements as they did for S1.

#23 of 75 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,879 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 05 2012 - 02:11 PM

The S1 replacements were for missing audio channels, relatively simple to fix.  To redo the effects for the entire year is going to be quite a chore to pull off.  This isn't replacement program territory.

#24 of 75 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 02:34 PM

I don't know, so far all of the caps I have taken look pretty close to S1 if not better; you have to remember S2 was shot (originally) in a different process then season 1, so there is no way to really make it identical, but I think this gritting teeth over how it looks is WAY WAY overblown.
trakt.tv

#25 of 75 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:16 PM

I disagree about the replacement issue, as I doubt it will affect anywhere near as many episodes as the S1 problem did (4 out of 5 discs!) IF the issues are as glaring as they are being made out to be.

#26 of 75 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 04:00 PM

Got my S2 set. Watching the documentaries, and they are very good!

#27 of 75 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 09:05 PM

I have to say, the extended version of "Measure of a Man" is very good.  I can see where and why cuts were made, but the scenes added back really do provide context and don't hurt the episode in any way.
trakt.tv

#28 of 75 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 02:38 AM

Watched Time Squared, which is one of my favorite episodes. Looks better than I've ever seen it before, but.... There is definitely a lot grain in some parts. I'd rather have grain than DNR, that's for sure, but it was more noticeable to me than S1. Most of the FX were great! But there was one thing this new company seems to be having some challenges with, and that was this: when the crew is next to a window with stars going by, something funky happens to the resolution of the people. It's slight but noticeable. Still, there were all sorts of details I coud appreciate, esp. Patrick Stewart's acting in this episodes. He does a great job as two Picards here. Impressive. It's a little like a Twilight Zone episode, and a lot of fun.

#29 of 75 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 06:07 AM

Fortunately, CBS Digital will be doing the odd season restoration.  HTV Illuminate did season two and fortunately hasn't been asked to do another even season.  Not sure who will be handling the rest of the even seasons but they should be aware of the inferior work HTV Illuminate did on season two compared to what CBS Digital has done.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#30 of 75 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 07:31 AM

I haven't had time to open my S2 set yet. I'm going in with an open mind based on the reports that the film stock used was different for the second season. So the image quality will be different from S1. Though I am worried that the artist redoing the planets didn't have the skill and eye that Max Gabl has for his work on S1 and Star Trek TOS remastered. I was under the impression HTV was still doing the even seasons.

#31 of 75 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 07:54 AM

Nelson,

Your talk of blu-ray is always inspiring (and dang near tempting as far as purchasing is concerned -- I'll get you for that!) to read.

So how many years away do you think we are from all six of the Trek series and all of the films being able to be stored on one disc? Are we talking terrabytes at this point? It wasn't so long ago that to think of a flash drive holding 256 GB was outlandish. And now, storage capacities as large as two terabytes(!) are in the works. The reason I ask this is because I could see myself purchasing the entire Trek catalog some day if this kind of storage capability were possible.

"On that day, I shall [indeed not] mourn."

;)

#32 of 75 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,130 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ockeghem /t/325704/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-two-blu-ray-review/30#post_4010292

Nelson,
Your talk of blu-ray is always inspiring (and dang near tempting as far as purchasing is concerned -- I'll get you for that!) to read.
So how many years away do you think we are from all six of the Trek series and all of the films being able to be stored on one disc? Are we talking terrabytes at this point? It wasn't so long ago that to think of a flash drive holding 256 GB was outlandish. And now, storage capacities as large as two terabytes(!) are in the works. The reason I ask this is because I could see myself purchasing the entire Trek catalog some day if this kind of storage capability were possible.
"On that day, I shall [indeed not] mourn."
Posted Image

We'll have digital lockers and gigabit internet connections before then, and you'll be expected to just store what you own "in the cloud" by that point.

trakt.tv

#33 of 75 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:08 AM

We'll have digital lockers and gigabit internet connections before then, and you'll be expected to just store what you own "in the cloud" by that point.

Matt,

Thanks. What does "in the cloud" mean? Also, please feel free to move any of my off-topic posts to the appropriate technology forum.

BTW, I neglected to mention that Victorinox has already issued a 1 terabyte flash drive.

#34 of 75 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,879 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:12 AM

I really hope the cloud is not the only future.  Way too many problems for my liking.  But that's probably very off topic.   I'm looking forward to watching at least an episode of S2 this weekend.   Sidenote: the Seattle International Film Festival/Uptown Theater is advertising a 70 minute show called "Restoring Star Trek: The Next Generation" for free tomorrow night.  This is presumably during/after/before the Space Seed/ST II double bill.  Sadly, I can't go because of other obligations tomorrow night...

#35 of 75 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:28 AM

Scott, the "cloud" isn't V'Ger, but a nebulous entity where all data is stored in the future. Wait a minute, V'Ger did store a ton of material on board! :) The Cloud is a service that is offered by the likes of Google and Apple where you can have your music files or photos stored. This makes it easy as your local devices, mobile phones and or iPads and tablets that have limited storage abilities, to access your cloud account and retrieve and play back an album, or video from there. It's also a way to synch all your mobile devices so emails and address books are all synchronized and up to date with the same data. You'll crack soon enough and go down the HD path Scoot! :)

#36 of 75 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:57 AM

Scott, the "cloud" isn't V'Ger, but a nebulous entity where all data is stored in the future. Wait a minute, V'Ger did store a ton of material on board! :)

The Cloud is a service that is offered by the likes of Google and Apple where you can have your music files or photos stored. This makes it easy as your local devices, mobile phones and or iPads and tablets that have limited storage abilities, to access your cloud account and retrieve and play back an album, or video from there.

It's also a way to synch all your mobile devices so emails and address books are all synchronized and up to date with the same data.

You'll crack soon enough and go down the HD path Scoot! :)

Nelson,

Okay, thanks. At first glance, "The Cloud" isn't something I would need or want. Much appreciated. :)

Yeah, I might eventually crack as far as HD is concerned. "Today is a good day to [crack]. But not today." ;)

#37 of 75 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 09:15 AM

Fortunately, CBS Digital will be doing the odd season restoration.  HTV Illuminate did season two and fortunately hasn't been asked to do another even season.  Not sure who will be handling the rest of the even seasons but they should be aware of the inferior work HTV Illuminate did on season two compared to what CBS Digital has done.

+1

#38 of 75 OFFLINE   Platzhalter II

Platzhalter II

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 10:06 AM

Why are people making comments like this? Have you ever seen a real photo of a real planet? Maybe the universe was incompetent by creating Uranus and Neptun blurry and less detailed in comparison to Earth an Jupiter? Do real planets look 3D? No, they do not, they are merely perfect globes. Just take a look at the Earth's highest mountain, it's height is just about 0.67 per mille of the earths diameter. So, the planets of season two look far more realistic than the overdone planets of season one.

#39 of 75 OFFLINE   Dave Corder

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 01:33 PM

Sidenote: the Seattle International Film Festival/Uptown Theater is advertising a 70 minute show called "Restoring Star Trek: The Next Generation" for free tomorrow night.  This is presumably during/after/before the Space Seed/ST II double bill.  Sadly, I can't go because of other obligations tomorrow night...

It's separate from the Space Seed/Star Trek II feature. They're also showing The Measure of a Man as part of the "Restoring TNG" presentation (confirmed to me on their Facebook page). I wish they had picked a different episode, as I just saw that one last week at the Fathom Events thing, but I'll still be going - Friday night is a good night to be a Trek fan in Seattle :)

#40 of 75 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,879 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 06 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Dave!  I clicked onto the link via the Groupon today and was bummed everything was tomorrow night.  There's no way I can do downtown after being in Edmonds at 5:15!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users