What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Patton (take two) -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those of you who read my words, will recognize that I'm not a fan of the original Blu-ray release (2008) of Patton. We'll leave that one alone.

Re-visiting Patton on the new Blu-ray is a very different experience.

The extra image manipulation, which removed all high frequency information from the older release is no longer a problem, and the image is now projector friendly. There also has been additional clean-up performed to the image, removing both minus and plus density bits and pieces that adorned the earlier transfer.

Here's where it gets interesting. The trailer attached to the new disc is the same as the original. I don't get that one, but I presume there's a rationale. The constant horizontal ticking in the earlier transfer is still in place, and I've not seen this movement on other 65mm origination productions. I'm presuming that it comes from the scanner.

The earlier release was based upon a 65mm IP, and this still appears to be the case.

The final result is quite beautiful.

Grain levels are low, which might be accounted for by either the use of an IP, or alternatively the lower rez 65mm scan.

Color, density, shadow detail, as was the case with the original Blu-ray, are exemplary.

For those who may have not yet had the pleasure of seeing Patton, know that it's brilliant film-making. Beginning with a superbly crafted screenplay, unbeatable acting, direction, cinematography...

Buy this one, and rejoice that they got it right.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Thank you for your highly favorable and reassuring review of this newly-minted presentation. Shawn Belston and Company appear to have finally rectified a colossal blunder of the first order by properly presenting this classic drama/war epic with the love and care it deserves.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
lukejosephchung said:
Thank you for your highly favorable and reassuring review of this newly-minted presentation. Shawn Belston and Company appear to have finally rectified a colossal blunder of the first order by properly presenting this classic drama/war epic with the love and care it deserves.:tu:
Whenever Schawn Belston has free rein on a project, it will be superb.
RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/325116/a-few-words-about-patton-take-two-in-blu-ray#post_4000346
Whenever Schawn Belston has free rein on a project, it will be superb.
RAH
A very cool guy too.

Crawdaddy

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said:
Here's where it gets interesting.  The trailer attached to the new disc is the same as the original.  I don't get that one, but I presume there's a rationale.  The constant horizontal ticking in the earlier transfer is still in place, and I've not seen this movement on other 65mm origination productions.  I'm presuming that it comes from the scanner.
was you hoping for a hd version of the trailer or what did you wanted to say about by mentioning specifically the trailer?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by EnricoE /t/325116/a-few-words-about-patton-take-two-in-blu-ray#post_4000390
was you hoping for a hd version of the trailer or what did you wanted to say about by mentioning specifically the trailer?

It's simply very odd for a trailer advertising a 2008 film to be attached to a Blu-ray issued in 2012. Seeing that trailer come up before the main feature gives a viewer pause thinking that maybe the disc he's watching is not going to be the new remaster of Patton but rather the old one mistakenly inserted into a new Blu-ray case.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/325116/a-few-words-about-patton-take-two-in-blu-ray#post_4000432
A problem (a horizontal tick, or pulling movement) either in the execution of the IP, or in scanning. I doubt it to be camera related. The Todd-AO cameras were extremely steady. Almost appears to be an 8 perf look, with problematic perfs or shrunken stock.

Just very odd. Same situation with both older and newer Blu-rays.

RAH

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Harris said:
A problem (a horizontal tick, or pulling movement) either in the execution of the IP, or in scanning.  I doubt it to be camera related.  The Todd-AO cameras were extremely steady.  Almost appears to be an 8 perf look, with problematic perfs or shrunken stock.
Just very odd.  Same situation with both older and newer Blu-rays.
RAH
Thanks, Robert.
So this manifests itself in the transfer, with the appearance of gate-weave?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/325116/a-few-words-about-patton-take-two-in-blu-ray#post_4000471
Thanks, Robert.
So this manifests itself in the transfer, with the appearance of gate-weave?

It appears different than gate-weave, which well...

weaves, as in around.

This has a defined tick to the right.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/325116/a-few-words-about-patton-take-two-in-blu-ray#post_4000519
So, the image "bounces" to the right, periodically?
No. Just a slight, possibly non-rhythmic tick. Definitely noticeable, if one is looking for it.

But not a problem for 99% of viewers. As this is the web, I'm certain someone will ask why I
didn't make note of it.

I have.

RAH

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
MattH. said:
It's simply very odd for a trailer advertising a 2008 film to be attached to a Blu-ray issued in 2012. Seeing that trailer come up before the main feature gives a viewer pause thinking that maybe the disc he's watching is not going to be the new remaster of Patton but rather the old one mistakenly inserted into a new Blu-ray case.
so mr. harris was referring to a preview trailer and not the trailer for patton itself. this is indeed odd. personally i would've liked to see fox adding the trailer for patton in hd. reviews confirmed it to be sd only :(

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I picked this up the other night and enjoyed the hell out of it -- was one of those purchases where I said to myself, "It's a little late to watch something tonight, I'm just going to sample the image quality and watch it another night" and then of course put it on and watched straight through. I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid, and couldn't believe how much I had forgotten about it. Absolutely fantastic and incredibly powerful all these years later, and I'm so happy to have a good quality copy on my shelf.

I was going to watch about 15 mins. tonight just to sample....I ended up watching an hour and could've finished it if I wasn't so tired today! This is definitely the most I have ever enjoyed the film. It looks great!

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I must plead my ignorance on the original release. I heard all the hullabaloo and didn't understand it--it looked great to me, but, oh well.
Then I saw this release.
Wow! What a difference. I cannot even believe that I thought the 2008 was an acceptable release. This is a much more satisfying release and does give Patton the justice it deserved. though I agree--what is up with the very old trailer at the beginning? For a moment I thought that I had bought the old disc.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, okay. The "new" transfer I bought, featuring an American flag behind Patton on the cover art, still seems to be nearly grainless (I noted Mr. Harris' "low grain" description). It doesn't seem smeary or especially video-like, but nor does it appear to be entirely film-like. I realize this was a 70mm presentation, so natural grain would be minimal. And I have only a 46" monitor on which to watch it at this point.
Do I have to wait to buy a 60" monitor before I can ascertain whether or not the copy I bought is the definitive remastered edition, or is there some other way of verifying?
Thanks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Dick /t/325116/a-few-words-about-patton-take-two-in-blu-ray#post_4003819
Well, okay. The "new" transfer I bought, featuring an American flag behind Patton on the cover art, still seems to be nearly grainless (I noted Mr. Harris' "low grain" description). It doesn't seem smeary or especially video-like, but nor does it appear to be entirely film-like. I realize this was a 70mm presentation, so natural grain would be minimal. And I have only a 46" monitor on which to watch it at this point.
Do I have to wait to buy a 60" monitor before I can ascertain whether or not the copy I bought is the definitive remastered edition, or is there some other way of verifying?
Thanks.
The new version is nearly grainless. It appears to be derived from a 65mm IP, which would reduce the grain. Might it have been reduced a bit further?

Possibly, but if it was, it appears to have done no damage.

A very nice presentation from the folks at Fox.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks