Galaxy Note 2 impressions/reviews

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 of 62 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 01:47 PM

Well, that was fast: www.engadget.com/2012/11/25/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-5-million-sold/ How far is it behind the iPhone 5?

#42 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hanson 

The phone seems enormous out of the box, but you quickly get used to it. After a while, all other phones seem tiny.

Probably a bit like when one buys a big new TV... Posted Image

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#43 of 62 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 07:23 AM

Yes! Exactly! It's like getting a big TV.

My brother in law was TV shopping and settled on a 65" RPTV. My sister thought that was ludicrously too big, but instead of putting her foot down, she decided to teach him a lesson and have him voluntarily take it back after he realized his mistake. Not only did she end up loving the size, she actually thought they could have gone bigger (the 72" discussions never got past the, "NO" stage).

It seemed comically big at first. Now it's just their TV. They don't notice how big it is anymore, but they do notice how small other TVs are. The same goes for my Note 2.

#44 of 62 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,576 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:22 AM

Still loving my Note II.  Best phone I ever owned.

Now there's a Note II killer in the works

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#45 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:53 AM

Done! Finally got around to ordering the GN2 (in "marble white") for the wifey ♥ -- her 1st smartphone... finally! Posted Image  And was able to apply my ancient, grandfathered $100 upgrade discount on it even though it'll be used on her line instead -- the V.com chat rep told me it's no problem to do that at all. Posted Image

Meanwhile, did the same (not sure what color, but probably "titanium gray") from work for my company smartphone.  Had to make a special order request for it since the company site still didn't list the GN2 yet, but looks like it's been approved (very quickly).  Can't wait to replace this nearly 3-yo, just-about-dead BB Tour (that keeps rebooting on me lately and wiping out the battery each time)...  All good things come to those who wait?  Hope so... Posted Image
Posted Image

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#46 of 62 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:54 AM

You know, I'm not going to say 6.1" is too big. Because I said that about the 5" Dell Streak back in the day, and it's not true anymore.

I will say that without a stylus and split screen, the Huawei Ascend Mate is just a huge ass phone. The Wacom digitizer is what makes the Note 2 "overpriced".

#47 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 09:00 AM

Just occurred to me I shoulda asked the chat rep if I could apply the $25(?) promo coupon she offered for a basic phone on new line for the GN2 purchase, LOL.  She might've said no, but still shoulda asked I guess, especially since my company's apparently been quoted ~$270 for the GN2 according to my approved order -- of course, I didn't see the company quote until right after placing the order for my wife on V.com.

Oh well... too bad I also missed the 4pm cutoff for her GN2 to arrive by Friday via 2-day delivery.  Wonder when I'll receive mine -- will need to go into the office to pick up mine (and have it activated, secured, etc.) though...

_Man_

#48 of 62 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted December 06 2012 - 05:24 AM

This probably isn't the right place, but just a heads up....Samsung has set up a temporary demo area at a local mall. By watching demos you get tickets, once you get 4 tickets you can enter a raffle for various prizes. I was told by one of the workers that this Saturday, they are giving away a Galaxy Note 2 every hour, you must be present to win (which might make better odds).

Check your local malls, maybe you will get lucky!

-KeithP

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#49 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 11:03 PM

Ack!  Well, looks like my company's group in charge of mobiles renegged on me and want me to go thru a more thorough business justification process (that probably involves higher-ups) for the GN2, which is not really worth the trouble for me (and my boss).  So I'm settling on the GS3 for my company smartphone instead.  Probably going to get an extended battery for it -- maybe the Hyperion one off Amazon.  Wish they'd just let me pay the cost diff myself, but alas, they're not set up to handle that -- and probably don't want the (mainly accounting) complications though I saw some talk they might be looking into doing something as part of all the ongoing cost savings... Posted Image

Oh well... GS3 should still be pretty good, but obviously not as good...  Originally wasn't sure they'd go for it w/ the GN2 anyway...

Meanwhile, my wife's GN2 should arrive today.  Not sure if I should play w/ it at all before giving it to her -- well, probably need to set it up, etc. -- as that might just bum me out some more, LOL... Posted Image

_Man_

#50 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 02:42 AM

Double ACK!!! Company is renegging big time on my phone order due to tightening year-end budget, so I'm just gonna stick w/ my BB for now while taking over this iPad3 from my wife, who's switching to her new GN2 as her main device -- awesome smartphone BTW. One thing. What do y'all use to manage power consumption for the screen? I tried turning on the auto mode w/ power savings turned on, but it renders the screen super dim for most content browsing usages. I'd like my wife to get 2-plus days of normal usage per full charge -- right now, it lasts maybe 1.3 days per full charge, but mainly because I've been doing regular loading of stuff (including lots of music transfer using ES Explorer over WiFi) and tweaking it for her. Any must-have apps for a non-techie -- my wife -- on the GN2? Thanks! _Man_

#51 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 02:50 AM

BTW, she walked into a Ratshack a couple days ago, and the phone sales guy tried to convince her to upgrade, etc. before she told him she just upgraded to a GN2... and the guy says "Ooooh! Not gonna be selling any phone to you since THAT's what I want too!" :lol: _Man_ PS: How does one find the list of usable emoticons on this mobile site? ???

#52 of 62 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool 

Any must-have apps for a non-techie -- my wife -- on the GN2?

Here's my write up:

http://cobravision.w...l-android-apps/

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool 

One thing. What do y'all use to manage power consumption for the screen? I tried turning on the auto mode w/ power savings turned on, but it renders the screen super dim for most content browsing usages. I'd like my wife to get 2-plus days of normal usage per full charge -- right now, it lasts maybe 1.3 days per full charge, but mainly because I've been doing regular loading of stuff (including lots of music transfer using ES Explorer over WiFi) and tweaking it for her.

Moving from a phone that topped out at 8 hours provided I didn't use it, a 16 hour phone with real world use was a huge feature. 2 days is probably scraping at the edge of capability. I guess for me, 2 days sounds like a mythical thing. I'm used to bump charging anyway. If she could get into the habit of charging before going to bed, she could easily make it through the day without making any battery compromises.

Do you have the Verizon model? There are some cool features that Verizon removed, like Blocking Mode and disabling 4G that could extended your battery.

#53 of 62 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,576 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 03:56 AM

Hanson,

Just read your blog.  Excellent recommendations.

First, I am going to try POCKET.  Looks very interesting.

Have a question for you concerning KEY RING....

My dream is to get rid of my wallet and carry all my credit

and other cards on my phone.

Essentially, they would only need to be scanned from my

phone to store scanner.

Now, I had hoped GOOGLE WALLET would have been the

answer to my dreams, but alas, AT&T and VERIZON are

blocking its use on their phones.

Would KEY RING be a sort of substitute where I could

enter all my cards and just swipe them at a store scanner?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#54 of 62 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 04:25 AM

I have gotten rid of all the loyalty cards in my wallet and removed them from my keychain as well. When I slimmed down my keychain, it took me a few days to get used to it. Without all those loyalty cards hanging off of it, it looked like someone else's keys.

Unfortunately, you can't enter credit cards into keyring. Even if you could, credit cards are swiped at the register, meaning you would still physically need something with a magnetic stripe. Perhaps if NFC does take hold, you could ditch your credit cards for it.

BTW, I didn't mention it in the post, but the other way to plow through articles to queue into Pocket is to install the Chrome Pocket add-in to your desktop Chrome Browser. One click read for later or right on links to read for later.

#55 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 04:28 AM

Thanks, Hanson. Will check out the relevant ones for my wife's GN2. We're probably too paranoid to use the phone as universal credit/bank card wallet though -- oh wait, misunderstood the purpose of KeyRing, which sounds nice especially for my wife. One other thing. Guess I shoulda tried Solid Explorer for all the music transfers I did as that took a long time to do via ES File Explorer over WiFI, especially since it kept getting stuck and aborting after I queue up a bunch of transfers -- oh well... RE: battery life, yeah, maybe I'll just have her plug it in every night since you previously pointed out it won't degrade the useful life of the battery anymore than waiting for full charge (from say <20%). Certainly makes a huge diff that the battery will be easily/cheaply replaceable anyway, if/when needed. And oh yeah, we're on Verizon... Thanks again! _Man_

#56 of 62 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 04:47 AM

I have these plans on doing in depth write-ups for Solid Explorer and Pocket because they're such integral products for me. I'm just so easily dist...

Look! A bunny!

#57 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 03:21 AM

So what are y'all using for a GN2 case? Still need to shop for one for my wife so the sexy, mondo white back doesn't cause accidents when she's walking down the street w/ the phone to her ear... ;) :D Thanks. _Man_

#58 of 62 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,579 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:15 AM

Battery life: we don't do anything to manage it. We plug in at night every day or three, bedside. Credit cards: I'd love to replace much of my wallet with a digital phone solution. But in the US that seems more dream than likelihood for a while still.

#59 of 62 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,415 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool 

So what are y'all using for a GN2 case? Still need to shop for one for my wife so the sexy, mondo white back doesn't cause accidents when she's walking down the street w/ the phone to her ear... Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks.

_Man_

I've never used a case. Ever. Stopped using screen protectors back in the WinMo days. I figure I got insurance and I don't have a history of smashing my screens (I've never lost a phone either). Plus, I have a one year contract, so I should be good for 12-15 months.

#60 of 62 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,843 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 09:47 AM

So then, what do you use for car mount?  Presumably, you're using it for turn-by-turn GPS now?  I think she'll want a case nonetheless, so...

_Man_

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users