Photo
- - - - -

"Laura" Blu-ray Release on February 5th!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 of 140 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 25 2012 - 02:22 PM

More great news to follow from Fox regarding classic film releases on Blu-ray in 2013 and beyond. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 140 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • LocationValley Glen, CA

Posted October 25 2012 - 02:46 PM

Awesome!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 140 DavidJ

DavidJ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm not a big fan of the fancy emoticons, but if news ever called for a dancing banana, it's this news. :dance:

#4 of 140 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted October 25 2012 - 05:41 PM

I've had a crush on Gene Tierney for as long as I can remember...first day buy for me!!!Posted Image

#5 of 140 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted October 25 2012 - 05:50 PM

Great news.  It will be their fifth title after How Green Was My Valley, Gentleman's Agreement, Wild River and Titanic (1953) which are all coming out on 1/15

#6 of 140 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Great news.  It will be their fifth title after How Green Was My Valley, Gentleman's Agreement, Wild River and Titanic (1953) which are all coming out on 1/15

Interesting to see the Kazan titles start getting individual releases. Great news!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 140 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 25 2012 - 06:09 PM

Glad to FINALLY get news about Titanic!
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#8 of 140 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,916 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:16 AM

Glad to FINALLY get news about Titanic!

Yes, that TITANIC has been a long time coming since it was initially announced last year.

#9 of 140 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:35 AM

Interesting to see the Kazan titles start getting individual releases. Great news!

There will be about 25 classic releases onto BD throughout 2013. A consumer voting process will be utilized for some of these releases. Details will follow in the coming months. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#10 of 140 Escapay

Escapay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:37 AM

I've had a crush on Gene Tierney for as long as I can remember...first day buy for me!!!:dance:

Same here! I'll never forget that day in 2005 when I was browsing through Virgin Megastore and my eye caught on the cover of the newly-released Fox Film Noir DVD: Such an entrancing film. I watch it at least once a month. I'm hoping Fox will include additional extras, like the featurette on the R2 DVDs ("Laura: The Obsession"), various radio adaptations (Wikipedia lists 5, but only 4 include the film cast), and the "20th Century Fox Hour" television adaptation. The slate of extras on the current DVD is great, and I hope they all carry over to the Blu-Ray. Also, the commentary had some playback issues on the DVD when selecting the extended version. Namely, Behlmer's commentary (as well as Haskell/Raksin's) for the film is interrupted in order to present his abruptly-started commentary over the deleted scene. And Haskell/Raksin's commentary over the regular version actually discusses the deleted scene as if Haskell were watching it. I've always wondered why that was. Either way, I hope this is fixed on the Blu-Ray.

#11 of 140 Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:40 AM

Will the Kazan sets, which are currently sold exclusively at FoxConnect, be offered in general shops as well?
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#12 of 140 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:23 AM

Will the Kazan sets, which are currently sold exclusively at FoxConnect, be offered in general shops as well?

No idea! Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#13 of 140 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

There will be about 25 classic releases onto BD throughout 2013. A consumer voting process will be utilized for some of these releases. Details will follow in the coming months.
Crawdaddy

Always love the consumer voting stuff - got us the better cover for Sunset Boulevard.

Hopefully those 25 titles don't count the 8 Kazan titles already released in the box sets, but even if that's the case that's 17 new-to-Blu titles.

How Green Was My Valley

Laura

Titanic (1953)

That leaves at least 14. I'd wager Cleopatra (1963) is definitely one as well.

#14 of 140 David Weicker

David Weicker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:21 AM

This is the first time I've heard about a date for How Green Was My Valley. I know there is a UK version schedule for 1/28/13 (up for preorder on Amazon UK), but I hadn't seen anything definite about it here in the US (other than a mention in http://www.hometheat...ess-hello-dolly that it was coming in 2013). Is there a thread for that film, or an announcement. It is not up for preorder on Amazon yet David

#15 of 140 JoHud

JoHud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:54 AM

Great news. I sold my DVD of Titanic last Spring in preparation for the blu-ray that I was starting to think was never going to come. Came very close to buying the UK disc a few times. It seems Fox decided on a 50th anniversary of the film rather than the 100th anniversary of the actual disaster. As for the Kazan blu-rays, I've been putting those on hold as well given that I own the DVD set and that I'm expecting the future wide retail release of the sets will net a better sales price eventually.

Is there a thread for that film, or an announcement. It is not up for preorder on Amazon yet

From what I gather, Robert's getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

#16 of 140 clambake

clambake

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 07:26 AM

For me, it's a tie between Laura and The Third Man for best Film Noir of all time. Just a perfect movie. Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, and Vincent Price are all excellent in it.

#17 of 140 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 26 2012 - 07:39 AM

We (HTF) met with Fox yesterday and are meeting with Paramount today. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#18 of 140 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted October 26 2012 - 07:41 AM

Same with Cleopatra, 2013 will be the 50th Anniversary. I've had the UK BD since last year so I'm happy lol
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#19 of 140 John Doe

John Doe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 07:56 AM

We (HTF) met with Fox yesterday and are meeting with Paramount today. Crawdaddy

Robert,did they mention The Flight of the Phoenix *original" BD,by any chance?

#20 of 140 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted October 26 2012 - 08:00 AM

I would also imagine we'll see the rest of Fox's Rodgers & Hammerstein catalog titles out in calendar 2013 as well...at least that's my hope!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users