Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection - Best Buy Exclusive

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted October 14 2012 - 11:12 AM

Did a search and couldn't find a thread for this anywhere. Does anyone know what's happening with this release? Best Buy had it on their website last week, and even showed it as being in stock at some stores. I went to one of my local stores today, and it had apparently been completely deleted from the system. I asked an employee about the set, and he tried to be helpful, but he didn't seem to know anything about it. Best Buy seems to have been having some trouble with their exclusives these days.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 14 2012 - 11:19 AM

I never saw it in my stores even though it was listed as in stock. I know some people got it on other forums, but i never saw a single copy. I saw the spot in the display where it was supposed to be in several stores however so I'm not sure of the issue and haven't read anything about a recall or lack of copies.

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 14 2012 - 11:48 AM

I saw two copies on a Halloween display yesterday. Now I think I should have bought it. :)

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 15 2012 - 09:36 AM

Saw it the HMV in Canada, I'll probably grab it this week.

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 15 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well, the official listing in back on teh BBY website and multiple stores near me are supposed to have it instock. I guess I'll look again when I go in for my last Upgrade run

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 04:30 PM

Well, I went to another BB near me and they had a copy. Happy to find it, but still kind of a strange release strategy.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 02:11 AM

I don't suppose that Freddy's Dead is included in 3D?

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 02:57 AM

No, just 2D.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   DavidDTS

DavidDTS

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 03:21 AM

Did a search and couldn't find a thread for this anywhere. Does anyone know what's happening with this release? Best Buy had it on their website last week, and even showed it as being in stock at some stores. I went to one of my local stores today, and it had apparently been completely deleted from the system. I asked an employee about the set, and he tried to be helpful, but he didn't seem to know anything about it. Best Buy seems to have been having some trouble with their exclusives these days.

Had the same issue and was looking forward to getting it......I resorted to doing an 'in-store pickup' which worked like a charm..........we're talking an exclusive BB release and the left doesn't know what the right is doing.............that corp. is a sinking ship

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 16 2012 - 03:26 AM

Had the same issue and was looking forward to getting it......I resorted to doing an 'in-store pickup' which worked like a charm..........we're talking an exclusive BB release and the left doesn't know what the right is doing.............that corp. is a sinking ship

Couldn't tell that from my wallet. I've spend more at BBY in the last year+ than I have in years. Last years Black Friday and Holiday season was dominated by BBY deals.

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 16 2012 - 09:55 AM

From what I have heard, this collection is a carbon copy of the UK set, right down to the extras.

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 16 2012 - 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by SWFF 

From what I have heard, this collection is a carbon copy of the UK set, right down to the extras.

They are the same disc images.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 16 2012 - 10:09 AM

From what I've read on other forums, yes.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   DavidDTS

DavidDTS

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 12:34 PM

The whole affair was simply ported from the DVD set they had 12 years ago. All the films look like upconverted DVDs. They didn't spend a dime on making this thing for bluray.

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 16 2012 - 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by DavidDTS 

The whole affair was simply ported from the DVD set they had 12 years ago. All the films look like upconverted DVDs. They didn't spend a dime on making this thing for bluray.

Thanks for this added info. I'll wait for it to get even cheaper then the $50 I saw it for. I'm in no rush to revisit these.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 16 2012 - 02:47 PM

Advance ads show the NOES Set will be 39.99 next week so no rush and you can use your U&S coupon for something else unless maybe they'll allow a price adjustment and keep the coupon.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 16 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for this added info. I'll wait for it to get even cheaper then the $50 I saw it for. I'm in no rush to revisit these.

I certainly not an authority and I've only seen the first three movies but they look like what they are- low budget movies from the 1980's and the Blu-rays reflect that. No one can say that they're demo or reference discs but they sure don't look like upconverted DVDs either. Also, there's no way that 13 year old standard definition transfers are used on the set.

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:27 AM

I don't know, I want to upgrade these films to Blu but this set just has "meh" written all over it. True, the films are low budget horror sequels from the 80's but that's no reason to conclude they can't look better and certainly the studio could've put a bit more effort into the transfers. Then again, if they're going the exclusive route then that means the studio doesn't WANT to bother doing anything more than putting out whatever is at hand. I remember when, at Warner, even movies like HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE received special treatment on DVD. I miss those days.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 02:43 AM

I had a clerk at my local Best Buy check their inventory. They showed 2 on hand, yet they could not be found anywhere in the entire store. Maybe the box set is so bad it doesn't want to be bought.
My DVDs

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 17 2012 - 03:08 AM

I had a clerk at my local Best Buy check their inventory. They showed 2 on hand, yet they could not be found anywhere in the entire store. Maybe the box set is so bad it doesn't want to be bought.

Check the Disney section. Or maybe it's in with the Opera CDs :D

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users