Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help with a cheap DRC solution for a non-audiophile

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   lavascript

lavascript

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 02:43 PM

First off, as the subject states, I am very much NOT an audiophile. I watch plenty of TV and movies with my cheap TV's built-in speakers. The ONE thing I've always really wanted is dynamic range compression. My wife and I watch a lot of movies at night and are constantly wrestling with the volume controls. My father-in-law passed away last year, and we inherited a Sony STR-DA77ES receiver. It's an older model, but it seems to be pretty decent. There were no speakers, because he used it to listen to music with headphones. Overkill. He also had a Sony bookshelf stereo, a MHC-EC69i/C2. So I robbed the speakers and hooked them up to the AVR, and it sounds fantastic. I read through the manual a bit and figured how to turn on DRC and adjust the EQ. So DRC is at max, but I'm still having a tough time hearing voices. My next question is, what's the best way to set the EQ to bring the voices up? I currently have the bass at -2dB below 250Hz, but it's still pretty bass-y. I have the mid at +1dB to try to boost voices, but it's not very effective. At this point it almost seems like DRC isn't really doing anything. I dunno if I need to get better (or just different) speakers or if it's just not going to work or what. But if it involves spending any significant money, I'd rather just go back to the TV speakers. (Sacrilege, right?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,478 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 19 2012 - 11:48 PM

Easiest thing to do is add a center speaker. You can go to Goodwill and pic up a speaker very cheaply...as long as it isn't from a HTiB. That will be easier than fiddling with anything.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   NickSI

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 01:57 AM

I know you said you are not an audiophile but you said you did enjoy the better results with a receiver and speakers... so why would you go back to TV sound if you are going to wrestle with a remote anyway? Sam is right go find yourself a center speaker and when he says not from a HTiB he means make sure the connections in the back are either spring clips or screw downs and not some silly connector.
Ciao

(if there is a $200 reciever or integrated amp in your basement collecting dust or even in your living room collecting dust lemme know ill take it off your hands)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   lavascript

lavascript

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 21 2012 - 04:03 AM

Yeah, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the center channel is mainly for voices. But almost none of my content is 5.1, it's mostly stereo. Will the center speaker still help?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,478 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 21 2012 - 11:05 AM

Yes...DPL, since its debut on VHS back in the 80s...is pretty much perfected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users