Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

THE INNOCENTS (1961) - A brief review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,248 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 04:57 PM

THE INNOCENTS (1961) Directed by Jack Clayton. Starring Deborah Kerr, Martin Stevens, Pamela Franklin. Black and White, CinemaScope. Based on the Henry James short novel, Turn Of the Screw. B.F.I. Blu-ray edition: Aspect ratio: 2.35:1. 100 Minutes. Bonus Material: Audio commentary. Early Jack Clayton short, "The Bespoke Overcoat" (37 min). Early Jack Clayton short, "Naples Is A Battlefield" (14 min). U.S. trailer (what a hoot!) Illustrated booklet. Image quality: Excellent - gray scale and contrast better than you've probably ever seen it; Freddie Francis' widescreen cinematography is a standout. Film grain seems natural and film-like. Sound Quality: Very good -- dialog easy to discern, George Auric score full and clear. This is considered to be one of the half-dozen or so best ghost stories in film history (along with THE UNIVITED (1944), THE HAUNTING (1963), DEAD OF NIGHT (1945) and a handful of others). It is subtle and disquieting, building its ever-thickening atmosphere of unease with a sure hand and remaining uncannily faithful to the novella. A do-not-miss, thinking man's thriller for the discriminating horror aficionado. We'll probably not see this on Blu-ray in the U.S., so time to invest (and not very much at that) in an all-region player!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 30 2012 - 04:16 AM

Yeah, I bought this UK release a long time ago, but haven't viewed it yet.  I will try to do so in the near future as it's among my favorite ghost films, right up there with The Uninvited, The Haunting and The Changeling.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,414 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 05:19 AM

I'll be purchasing this one, as I love this film. It was on (I think) AMC a couple of months ago, and it was as chilling as ever. There are some wonderful performances in it, too.