What's new

International THE INNOCENTS (1961) - A brief review (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE INNOCENTS (1961) Directed by Jack Clayton. Starring Deborah Kerr, Martin Stevens, Pamela Franklin. Black and White, CinemaScope.
Based on the Henry James short novel, Turn Of the Screw.
B.F.I. Blu-ray edition:
Aspect ratio: 2.35:1.
100 Minutes.
Bonus Material:
Audio commentary.
Early Jack Clayton short, "The Bespoke Overcoat" (37 min).
Early Jack Clayton short, "Naples Is A Battlefield" (14 min).
U.S. trailer (what a hoot!)
Illustrated booklet.
Image quality: Excellent - gray scale and contrast better than you've probably ever seen it; Freddie Francis' widescreen cinematography is a standout. Film grain seems natural and film-like.
Sound Quality: Very good -- dialog easy to discern, George Auric score full and clear.
This is considered to be one of the half-dozen or so best ghost stories in film history (along with THE UNIVITED (1944), THE HAUNTING (1963), DEAD OF NIGHT (1945) and a handful of others). It is subtle and disquieting, building its ever-thickening atmosphere of unease with a sure hand and remaining uncannily faithful to the novella. A do-not-miss, thinking man's thriller for the discriminating horror aficionado.
We'll probably not see this on Blu-ray in the U.S., so time to invest (and not very much at that) in an all-region player!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I bought this UK release a long time ago, but haven't viewed it yet. I will try to do so in the near future as it's among my favorite ghost films, right up there with The Uninvited, The Haunting and The Changeling.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'll be purchasing this one, as I love this film. It was on (I think) AMC a couple of months ago, and it was as chilling as ever. There are some wonderful performances in it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks