What's new

WHV Announcement: Guys and Dolls and Hans Christian Andersen (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
de3f5673_hansguys.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/Guys-Dolls-BD-Book-Blu-ray/dp/B008OBNE8C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343148850&sr=8-2&keywords=guys+and+dolls+blu-rayhttp://www.amazon.com/Hans-Christian-Andersen-Blu-ray/dp/B008OBQGSC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343296878&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=hans+christian+anderson+blu-ray

Purchase button is for GUYS AND DOLLS. We will let you know when Hans Christian Anderson is available.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hans Christian Anderson on Blu. WOW!

If ever there was a MUST BUY...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
A very good sign that WB is going to take good care of this library. It's definitely more than anyone could hope for on Hans Christian Anderson. Definitely off to a great start, and I look forward to the announcement of extra features.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the single best part of that anouncement, both are great in there own aspects, but the best part is Comming Soon More Master Works From The Goldwyn Archive

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow! I'll be grabbing both of these.

And definitely bodes well for a proper treatment of Best Years Of Our Lives, Wuthering Heights, and others.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/322533/whv-announcement-guys-and-dolls-and-hans-christian-anderson-blu-ray#post_3953153
Hans Christian Anderson on Blu. WOW!

If ever there was a MUST BUY...
"Guys & Dolls" is no slouch, either, Ron...it features Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra at their creative peaks, along with Vivian Blaine and Jean Simmons. The Frank Loesser score is also a stone-cold classic, as he also wrote the music for "Hans Christian Andersen", which is why both of these titles are the first out of the gate for Warner's Goldwyn catalog rollout...ALSO a MUST BUY for ME!!!

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
The real question is whether they did any restoration, what their source was, etc., etc. The DVD of "Guys and Dolls" was pitiful.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have had it on DVD. Never opened it.

I'll probably buy this as well. Seems like a
solid blind purchase.

Thanks as always, Luke.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This really is turning into the golden age of Blu-ray. Just a few years back there were hardly any vintage titles being released in the format, and now it's overwhelming. I'll definitely get Guys and Dolls. I've never seen Hans Christian Andersen, but now I'm tempted.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Really excited for both titles. The Guys and Dolls Deluxe Edition DVD was cropped, so hopefully Warner will rectify that. Also, I hope that its Digibook status means that Hans Christian Andersen will be getting a couple extras. The DVD only had the trailer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Both with classic scores by Frank Loesser, they are must haves even if Guys and Dolls doesn't make the most of its source material and Hans Christian Andersen is worthless as a biography but fantastic as an entertainment.

I trust that Warners will not use the slightly cropped, zoomed, and brownish master used in the last DVD release of Guys and Dolls, but they'll do their own HD master. I saw Hans Christian Andersen on MGM-HD probably two years ago and was generally satisfied with what I was watching. The DVD I have (and watch frequently because I think the score is a masterpiece) has lots of debris that I don't remember seeing on the MGM-HD broadcast.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Great start but I think they could have really caused a buzz if they had released a well known but rare DVD title in blu like Wuthering Heights. It seems a little odd that the covers are the same as the DVD releases from MGM. I wonder if its the Sam Goldwyn company that makes the decisions as to what to release and the packaging.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Garysb said:
Great start but I think they could have really caused a buzz if they had released a well known but rare DVD title in blu like Wuthering Heights.
Actually, the Hans Christian Anderson DVD has gotten pretty rare over the years. A brand new disc goes for $50 on Amazon.com. So I'm sure it will make late buyers who where put off by the recent high price of Hans Christian Anderson will appreciate the new WB release.

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.Someone should remind them of truly GREAT movies,collecting dust in their vaults.White Heat,Big Sleep,Out of the Past,Key Largo,Splendor in the Grass,East of Eden,Giant,The Haunting,The Philadelphia Story,Gaslight,The Bad and the Beautiful,The Time Machine,The Magnificent Ambersons.....................any news on these Warner?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Excuse me? I watched Warner's Singin' in the Rain in a room full of heterosexuals, and they loved it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.

Oh, wow. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

I think I speak for many heterosexuals like myself
who grew up watching musicals and love them even
more today.

Warner has the biggest collection of musicals of any
film library. It doesn't surprise me at all that they have
put them at the top of the pecking order as far as Blu-ray
releases are concerned.

I do agree that all the titles you mentioned need to be
released to Blu-ray. However, to say that Warner is
targeting the homosexual market with musical releases
is just insane.

Personally, I think the problem lies with age. You seem
like a younger guy and probably didn't have the exposure
that many of the older people here did with musicals when
they originally played theatrically or on television.

BTW, want to welcome you to HTF, Ratko. Glad you
found us here and hope you will continue participating here.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
As a heterosexual male who happens to really enjoy musicals, I find your generalization pretty insulting. I'm very, very straight and I just bought SINGIN' IN THE RAIN last night, am pumped for GUYS AND DOLLS and really hoping Warners releases KISS ME KATE on 3D Blu Ray next year in time for the 60th anniversary, right after HOUSE OF WAX. Have you even bothered to watch these musicals you are condemming? And are you daring to suggest that films like SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, MY FAIR LADY, KISS ME KATE, WHITE CHRISTMAS, HOLIDAY INN, GUYS AND DOLLS, SOUND OF MUSIC, and many many more are not GREAT films?
Yes, the films you listed should be released too, but don't short change a genre if you haven't watched it or make outrageous and insulting generalizations about the type of people who do watch it.
Your apology is accepted.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You do realize that many of your fellow HTF members are gay and reading your posts, right? Don't you think your comment might be just a tad insensitive?
Ratko Mladic said:
Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.Someone should remind them of truly GREAT movies,collecting dust in their vaults.White Heat,Big Sleep,Out of the Past,Key Largo,Splendor in the Grass,East of Eden,Giant,The Haunting,The Philadelphia Story,Gaslight,The Bad and the Beautiful,The Time Machine,The Magnificent Ambersons.....................any news on these Warner?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks