-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Guys and Dolls and Hans Christian Andersen (Blu-ray)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,612 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 04:49 AM

Purchase button is for GUYS AND DOLLS.  We will let you know when Hans Christian Anderson is available.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 70 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,612 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 04:50 AM

Hans Christian Anderson on Blu.  WOW!

If ever there was a MUST BUY...

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 70 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,568 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 05:15 AM

A very good sign that WB is going to take good care of this library. It's definitely more than anyone could hope for on Hans Christian Anderson. Definitely off to a great start, and I look forward to the announcement of extra features.

#4 of 70 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 24 2012 - 05:41 AM

the single best part of that anouncement, both are great in there own aspects, but the best part is Comming Soon More Master Works From The Goldwyn Archive

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#5 of 70 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,485 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 24 2012 - 05:48 AM

Wow! I'll be grabbing both of these.

And definitely bodes well for a proper treatment of Best Years Of Our Lives, Wuthering Heights, and others.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#6 of 70 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 24 2012 - 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

Hans Christian Anderson on Blu.  WOW!

If ever there was a MUST BUY...

"Guys & Dolls" is no slouch, either, Ron...it features Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra at their creative peaks, along with Vivian Blaine and Jean Simmons. The Frank Loesser score is also a stone-cold classic, as he also wrote the music for "Hans Christian Andersen", which is why both of these titles are the first out of the gate for Warner's Goldwyn catalog rollout...ALSO a MUST BUY for ME!!!

#7 of 70 Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 305 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted July 24 2012 - 06:42 AM

The real question is whether they did any restoration, what their source was, etc., etc. The DVD of "Guys and Dolls" was pitiful.

#8 of 70 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,612 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 06:43 AM

Have had it on DVD.  Never opened it.

I'll probably buy this as well.  Seems like a

solid blind purchase.

Thanks as always, Luke.

Ronald J Epstein

#9 of 70 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,247 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 24 2012 - 07:28 AM

This really is turning into the golden age of Blu-ray. Just a few years back there were hardly any vintage titles being released in the format, and now it's overwhelming. I'll definitely get Guys and Dolls. I've never seen Hans Christian Andersen, but now I'm tempted.

#10 of 70 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,178 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 24 2012 - 08:08 AM

It's going to be a very musical holiday season in my apartment…

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#11 of 70 Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted July 24 2012 - 08:15 AM

Really excited for both titles. The Guys and Dolls Deluxe Edition DVD was cropped, so hopefully Warner will rectify that. Also, I hope that its Digibook status means that Hans Christian Andersen will be getting a couple extras. The DVD only had the trailer.

#12 of 70 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,051 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 24 2012 - 08:25 AM

Both with classic scores by Frank Loesser, they are must haves even if Guys and Dolls doesn't make the most of its source material and Hans Christian Andersen is worthless as a biography but fantastic as an entertainment.

I trust that Warners will not use the slightly cropped, zoomed, and brownish master used in the last DVD release of Guys and Dolls, but they'll do their own HD master. I saw Hans Christian Andersen on MGM-HD probably two years ago and was generally satisfied with what I was watching. The DVD I have (and watch frequently because I think the score is a masterpiece) has lots of debris that I don't remember seeing on the MGM-HD broadcast.

#13 of 70 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,417 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 08:38 AM

Great start but I think they could have really caused a buzz if they had released a well known but rare DVD title in blu like Wuthering Heights. It seems a little odd that the covers are the same as the DVD releases from MGM. I wonder if its the Sam Goldwyn company that makes the decisions as to what to release and the packaging.

#14 of 70 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,568 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 08:59 AM

Great start but I think they could have really caused a buzz if they had released a well known but rare DVD title in blu like Wuthering Heights.

Actually, the Hans Christian Anderson DVD has gotten pretty rare over the years. A brand new disc goes for $50 on Amazon.com. So I'm sure it will make late buyers who where put off by the recent high price of Hans Christian Anderson will appreciate the new WB release.

#15 of 70 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 12:48 PM

Wonder if there'll a non-digibook release like Camelot. "Twould be nice. I don't care for the books.

#16 of 70 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,495 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 24 2012 - 01:39 PM

Excuse me? I watched Warner's Singin' in the Rain in a room full of heterosexuals, and they loved it.

#17 of 70 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,612 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 01:46 PM

Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.

Oh, wow.  That couldn't be farther from the truth.

I think I speak for many heterosexuals like myself

who grew up watching musicals and love them even

more today.

Warner has the biggest collection of musicals of any

film library.  It doesn't surprise me at all that they have

put them at the top of the pecking order as far as Blu-ray

releases are concerned.

I do agree that all the titles you mentioned need to be

released to Blu-ray.  However, to say that Warner is

targeting the homosexual market with musical releases

is just insane.

Personally, I think the problem lies with age.  You seem

like a younger guy and probably didn't have the exposure

that many of the older people here did with musicals when

they originally played theatrically or on television.

BTW, want to welcome you to HTF, Ratko.  Glad you
found us here and hope you will continue participating here.

Ronald J Epstein

#18 of 70 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted July 24 2012 - 02:11 PM

As a heterosexual male who happens to really enjoy musicals, I find your generalization pretty insulting. I'm very, very straight and I just bought SINGIN' IN THE RAIN last night, am pumped for GUYS AND DOLLS and really hoping Warners releases KISS ME KATE on 3D Blu Ray next year in time for the 60th anniversary, right after HOUSE OF WAX. Have you even bothered to watch these musicals you are condemming? And are you daring to suggest that films like SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, MY FAIR LADY, KISS ME KATE, WHITE CHRISTMAS, HOLIDAY INN, GUYS AND DOLLS, SOUND OF MUSIC, and many many more are not GREAT films? Yes, the films you listed should be released too, but don't short change a genre if you haven't watched it or make outrageous and insulting generalizations about the type of people who do watch it. Your apology is accepted.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#19 of 70 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,247 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 24 2012 - 02:13 PM

You do realize that many of your fellow HTF members are gay and reading your posts, right? Don't you think your comment might be just a tad insensitive?

Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.Someone should remind them of truly GREAT movies,collecting dust in their vaults.White Heat,Big Sleep,Out of the Past,Key Largo,Splendor in the Grass,East of Eden,Giant,The Haunting,The Philadelphia Story,Gaslight,The Bad and the Beautiful,The Time Machine,The Magnificent Ambersons.....................any news on these Warner?

#20 of 70 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted July 24 2012 - 02:17 PM

Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.Someone should remind them of truly GREAT movies,collecting dust in their vaults.White Heat,Big Sleep,Out of the Past,Key Largo,Splendor in the Grass,East of Eden,Giant,The Haunting,The Philadelphia Story,Gaslight,The Bad and the Beautiful,The Time Machine,The Magnificent Ambersons.....................any news on these Warner?

FYI just took a vote at the local meeting, and the gays approve of: Splendor In The Grass East of Eden Giant The Philadelphia Story The Time Machine and The Magnificent Ambersons. Sorry but tough luck on the rest.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users