What's new

WHV Announcement: Guys and Dolls and Hans Christian Andersen (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Ratko Mladic said:
Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.Someone should remind them of truly GREAT movies,collecting dust in their vaults.White Heat,Big Sleep,Out of the Past,Key Largo,Splendor in the Grass,East of Eden,Giant,The Haunting,The Philadelphia Story,Gaslight,The Bad and the Beautiful,The Time Machine,The Magnificent Ambersons.....................any news on these Warner?
FYI just took a vote at the local meeting, and the gays approve of:
Splendor In The Grass
East of Eden
Giant
The Philadelphia Story
The Time Machine
and
The Magnificent Ambersons.
Sorry but tough luck on the rest.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Movies tend to be bought for repeat watchings. Thus, animated films, children's films, westerns, science fiction and, as it turns out, musicals, are genres that are disproportionally represented in home video releases. Dramas and comedies often are not so fortunate, whatever their cinematic quality.
I suspect that gay-identification of genres and tastes has little to do with this overall. I even know gay people who don't like movies at all and would find this forum very bizarre.
It takes a lot of things to make a world.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
On a more serious note, I would tend to think that Comedies would fit into the "re-watchable" group, more than most, at least the ones that you watch over and over with friends and then quote back ad-nauseum. Stuff like Ghostbusters or Tommy Boy or Clue...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ratko Mladic said:
Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.
Actually, WB tend to gravitate toward musicals because they are generally in Technicolor. These two certainly fit the bill. How many B&W musicals has WB released on blu-ray?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Actually, what we should be asking in this particular thread is, What will the next movie WB will release from the Samuel Goldwyn collection?
My vote would be for "The Best Years Of Our Lives". Can't go wrong with a Best Picture winner. Generally.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Todd J Moore /t/322533/whv-announcement-guys-and-dolls-and-hans-christian-anderson-blu-ray#post_3953465
As a heterosexual male who happens to really enjoy musicals, I find your generalization pretty insulting. I'm very, very straight and I just bought SINGIN' IN THE RAIN last night, am pumped for GUYS AND DOLLS and really hoping Warners releases KISS ME KATE on 3D Blu Ray next year in time for the 60th anniversary, right after HOUSE OF WAX. Have you even bothered to watch these musicals you are condemming? And are you daring to suggest that films like SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, MY FAIR LADY, KISS ME KATE, WHITE CHRISTMAS, HOLIDAY INN, GUYS AND DOLLS, SOUND OF MUSIC, and many many more are not GREAT films?
Yes, the films you listed should be released too, but don't short change a genre if you haven't watched it or make outrageous and insulting generalizations about the type of people who do watch it.
Your apology is accepted.

Well, Todd, as a homosexual male who happens to really enjoy musicals, I'm actually insulted that you would feel personally "insulted" by his generalization. It's hardly outrageous to say that gay audiences do tend to gravitate towards the films mentioned and I'm hard pressed to understand why you would be "insulted" by being in that group.

He's not "condemning" the movies because gays watch them, but you seem to think he is because, to you, gay is clearly an insult. It's 2012, time to grow up.

The fact that you feel that "gay" is an insult says more about you than it does about the guy you're bitching about.

YOUR apology is accepted.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Ronald Epstein said:
Oh, wow.  That couldn't be farther from the truth.
I think I speak for many heterosexuals like myself
who grew up watching musicals and love them even
more today.
Warner has the biggest collection of musicals of any
film library.  It doesn't surprise me at all that they have
put them at the top of the pecking order as far as Blu-ray
releases are concerned.
I do agree that all the titles you mentioned need to be
released to Blu-ray.  However, to say that Warner is
targeting the homosexual market with musical releases
is just insane.  
Personally, I think the problem lies with age.  You seem
like a younger guy and probably didn't have the exposure
that many of the older people here did with musicals when
they originally played theatrically or on television.  
BTW, want to welcome you to HTF, Ratko.  Glad you 
found us here and hope you will continue participating here.
Well put, Ron.
I'm 63, and have been a movie addict since about the age of 7.
I grew up watching and loving all kinds of movies, including musicals.
Back in the '50's, we had an old DuMont tv, screen size unknown now.
To see these great, classic films restored to their original states, or maybe even a
bit better, is a joy.
And, if a studio should decide that they want to release some films for a particular group
of people, so what?
We all benefit.
BTW: to the OP: I'm straight, and love these musicals, as does my wife.
Ron, you were much kinder to the OP than I would have been.
And, something I've wanted to post since finding this forum......
Thanks for a great place for movie buffs to "hang out" in.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Decades ago I saw a gorgeous 35mm print of Best Years of Our Lives. The cinematography was breathtaking. Definitely a prime candidate for BD. It's also one of the few Academy Award winning films that IMHO actually merited the award.
I just wish it had ended with the airplane graveyard sequence and the indelible, heartbreaking image of Dana Andrews realizing that, indeed, the best years of his life were behind him. A great film, all around.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
As for Samuel Goldwyn Productions we can expect on blu-ray in the future? The following have a good shot at a blu-ray release:
Dodsworth (1936)
Stella Dallas (1937)
Dead End (1937)
The Hurricane (1937)
Wuthering Heights (1939)
The Westerner (1940)
The Little Foxes (1941)
Ball of Fire (1941)
The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
Up in Arms (1944)
The Princess and the Pirate (1944)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1945)
Wonder Man (1945)
The Bishop's Wife (1947)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
Porgy and Bess (1959)
The Technicolor features and Academy Award winners have more of an edge.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/322533/whv-announcement-guys-and-dolls-and-hans-christian-anderson-blu-ray#post_3953556
As for Samuel Goldwyn Productions we can expect on blu-ray in the future? The following have a good shot at a blu-ray release:
Dodsworth (1936)
Stella Dallas (1937)
Dead End (1937)
The Hurricane (1937)
Wuthering Heights (1939)
The Westerner (1940)
The Little Foxes (1941)
Ball of Fire (1941)
The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
Up in Arms (1944)
The Princess and the Pirate (1944)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1945)
Wonder Man (1945)
The Bishop's Wife (1947)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
Porgy and Bess (1959)
The Technicolor features and Academy Award winners have more of an edge.
I believe all or nearly all of the titles you listed are covered in the recent Goldwyn-Warner licensing agreement and stand good chances of being released in blu-ray.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Todd J Moore said:
/t/322533/whv-announcement-guys-and-dolls-and-hans-christian-anderson-blu-ray#post_3953524

Well, Todd, as a homosexual male who happens to really enjoy musicals, I'm actually insulted that you would feel personally "insulted" by his generalization. It's hardly outrageous to say that gay audiences do tend to gravitate towards the films mentioned and I'm hard pressed to understand why you would be "insulted" by being in that group.

He's not "condemning" the movies because gays watch them, but you seem to think he is because, to you, gay is clearly an insult. It's 2012, time to grow up.

The fact that you feel that "gay" is an insult says more about you than it does about the guy you're bitching about.

Absolutely my feelings as well.

As far as the subject at hand, I can take these 2 films or leave them, but I'll probably still get them if the transfers are good. But I am really looking forward to more upcoming SG releases.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/322533/whv-announcement-guys-and-dolls-and-hans-christian-anderson-blu-ray/30#post_3953560
I believe all or nearly all of the titles you listed are covered in the recent Goldwyn-Warner licensing agreement and stand good chances of being released in blu-ray.

I would seriously love a decent Technicolor version of PRINCESS & THE PIRATE as well as the early Danny Kaye features (esp WONDER MAN and KID FROM BROOKLYN.)

I know GOLDWYN FOLLIES is a long shot (and a bizarre movie, to boot) but I'd snap that up too because, as bad as it is, I've always had a soft spot for it/

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm straight as an arrow and LOVE musicals. A major part of my dvd collection are musicals. I remember watching these on Sunday afternoons when I was a kid before cable. It's great that warner's is bringing these out on Blu. I only hope that they will also start releasing b/w musicals. Love to see Best Years Of Our Lives on blu ray, it's one of my favorites!

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Ratko Mladic said:
Again Warner targeting gay population with more musicals.
If we look at all the pre-1970 titles that Warner's released to Blu-Ray (or announced as forthcoming), musicals only represent 12 of the 52 titles.
1930's: 5 films (1 musical)
King Kong (1933) - Fantasy
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) - Action-Adventure/Military
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Action-Adventure/Epic
Gone with the Wind (1939) - Drama/Period
The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Musical
1940's: 6 films (1 musical)
Citizen Kane (1941) - Drama
The Maltese Falcon (1941) - Film Noir
Casablanca (1942) - Drama/Romance
Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) - Musical
Fort Apache (1948) - Western/Epic
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - Drama/Period
1950's: 17 films (7 musicals - 6 listed as such, plus A Star is Born)
An American in Paris (1951) - Musical
Quo Vadis (1951) - Drama/Period
Strangers on a Train (1951) - Film Noir
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) - Drama/Melodrama
Hans Christian Andersen (1952) - Musical
Singin' in the Rain (1952) - Musical
Dial M for Murder (1954) - Suspense/Thriller
A Star is Born (1954) - Drama/Melodrama
Guys and Dolls (1955) - Musical
The Bad Seed (1956) - Suspense/Thriller
Forbidden Planet (1956) - Sci-Fi/Space
The Searchers (1956) - Western/Epic
Jailhouse Rock (1957) - Musical
Gigi (1958) - Musical
Ben-Hur (1959) - Action-Adventure/Epic
North by Northwest (1959) - Suspense/Thriller
Rio Bravo (1959) - Western/Epic
1960's: 24 films (3 musicals)
Ocean's 11 (1960) - Action-Adventure/Crime
King of Kings (1961) - Drama/Period
How the West Was Won (1962) - Western/Epic
Lolita (1962) - Drama/Romance
The Music Man (1962) - Musical
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - Action-Adventure/Military
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) - Suspense/Thriller
Dead Ringer (1964) - Suspense/Thriller
The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964) - Comedy/Slapsticj
Viva Las Vegas (1964) - Musical
Battle of the Bulge (1965) - War/World War II
The CIncinnati Kid (1965) - Drama/Sports
Doctor Zhivago (1965) - Drama/Period
Grand Prix (1966) - Drama/Sports
Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - Action-Adventure/Crime
Camelot (1967) - Musical
Cool Hand Luke (1967) - Drama
The Dirty Dozen (1967) - War/World War II
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Sci-Fi/Space
Bullitt (1968) - Action-Adventure/Crime
The Green Berets (1968) - War/Vietnam
Ice Station Zebra (1968) - Action-Adventure/Espionage
Where Eagles Dare (1968) - War/World War II
The Wild Bunch (1969) - Western/Epic
If we split them according to the genres (based on what DVD Aficionado classifies them as), it would look like this:
Drama: 13 films (12 if "A Star is Born" were moved to the musical genre)
Gone with the Wind (1939) - Drama/Period
Citizen Kane (1941) - Drama
Casablanca (1942) - Drama/Romance
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - Drama/Period
Quo Vadis (1951) - Drama/Period
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) - Drama/Melodrama
A Star is Born (1954) - Drama/Melodrama
King of Kings (1961) - Drama/Period
Lolita (1962) - Drama/Romance
The CIncinnati Kid (1965) - Drama/Sports
Doctor Zhivago (1965) - Drama/Period
Grand Prix (1966) - Drama/Sports
Cool Hand Luke (1967) - Drama
Musical: 11 films (12 if "A Star is Born" were moved to the musical genre)
The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Musical
Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) - Musical
An American in Paris (1951) - Musical
Hans Christian Andersen (1952) - Musical
Singin' in the Rain (1952) - Musical
Guys and Dolls (1955) - Musical
Jailhouse Rock (1957) - Musical
Gigi (1958) - Musical
The Music Man (1962) - Musical
Viva Las Vegas (1964) - Musical
Camelot (1967) - Musical
Action-Adventure: 8 films
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) - Action-Adventure/Military
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Action-Adventure/Epic
Ben-Hur (1959) - Action-Adventure/Epic
Ocean's 11 (1960) - Action-Adventure/Crime
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - Action-Adventure/Military
Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - Action-Adventure/Crime
Bullitt (1968) - Action-Adventure/Crime
Ice Station Zebra (1968) - Action-Adventure/Espionage
Western: 5 films
Fort Apache (1948) - Western/Epic
The Searchers (1956) - Western/Epic
Rio Bravo (1959) - Western/Epic
How the West Was Won (1962) - Western/Epic
The Wild Bunch (1969) - Western/Epic
Suspense: 5 films
Dial M for Murder (1954) - Suspense/Thriller
The Bad Seed (1956) - Suspense/Thriller
North by Northwest (1959) - Suspense/Thriller
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) - Suspense/Thriller
Dead Ringer (1964) - Suspense/Thriller
War: 4 films
Battle of the Bulge (1965) - War/World War II
The Dirty Dozen (1967) - War/World War II
The Green Berets (1968) - War/Vietnam
Where Eagles Dare (1968) - War/World War II
Film Noir: 2 films
The Maltese Falcon (1941) - Film Noir
Strangers on a Train (1951) - Film Noir
Sci-Fi: 2 films
Forbidden Planet (1956) - Sci-Fi/Space
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Sci-Fi/Space
Fantasy: 1 film
King Kong (1933) - Fantasy
Comedy: 1 film
The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964) - Comedy/Slapstick
Also, in some way, The Bad and the Beautiful is already on Blu-Ray. :P A small excerpt can be seen in "True Blood," from Season 1's Episode 10, which is on Blu-Ray. Surely that counts towards something. If only it didn't have commentary from Lafayette...

And to get this back on topic, I decided to watch my DVD of Hans Christian Andersen tonight, which was a sheer delight (as usual), and only made me all the more eager for the Blu-Ray.
I, too, would love to have Wuthering Heights or The Best Years of Our Lives on Blu-Ray as well. I hope that The Best Years of Our Lives comes with isolated score that was on the HBO disc. Also would love if they include the Army film "Diary of a Sergeant," which focused on Harold Russell, and led to his being cast as Homer Parrish. It's in the public domain, so surely it won't cost Warner a thing to include it (well, maybe to find the best elements and digitize it).

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]Jack Walder. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]Jack you are the same age as me and your post describes my upbringing in these matters to a "T". My education in these film matters, my learning curve, if you like, was thousands of miles in Australia and still is.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]Amongst those titles that were listed as possible Blu Goldwyns was missing one I want, Cantor's 2-strip Whoopee. I would even go for The Goldwyn Follies of 1938. I know a lot of people abhor The Ritz Bros but...enjoy the film nonetheless.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]Porgy & Bess is certainly desired but I have seen nothing yet to indicate Warners have this title in the package. Hopefully they have and the elements can be recovered to our current standards. [/COLOR]

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Will Krupp said:
Well, Todd, as a homosexual male who happens to really enjoy musicals, I'm actually insulted that you would feel personally "insulted" by his generalization.  It's hardly outrageous to say that gay audiences do tend to gravitate towards the films mentioned and I'm hard pressed to understand why you would be "insulted" by being in that group.  
He's not "condemning" the movies because gays watch them, but you seem to think he is because, to you, gay is clearly an insult.  It's 2012, time to grow up.
Some quick clarification: what I found insulting in his post is not "being gay" but what I took to be his attitude that "only homosexuals watch tmusicals", which I find patently absurd. And I reached that conclusion based on hearing other people say the same absurd thing. And, if you reread his post, he does seem to be condemming them for that reason. Look at his quote about "GREAT" movies (his emphasis, not mine) as if a musical can't be considered a great movie. Maybe I read too much in between the lines, maybe I didn't. I don't know. And I'll certainly concede that I should have found a different way to state what I was stating. Perhaps it would have been best to not address the homosexual comment he made and to simply address the absurd implication that musicals can't be great films when demonstrably they can.
But yes, I took his comment to boil down to "only A likes B" and I found it absurd as I would find any "only A likes B" comment. Frankly, I don't like generalizations at all as they usually border on stereotype and/or prejudice.
It was not my intent to insult homosexuals. I worked with and been friends with homosexuals and hold nothing against them. I just don't like genralizations, period. However, if I did insult you, know that that was not my intent and yes, I do apologize.
I would still like to hear him defend or put up an argument for his statement.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well folks with tongue firmly planted in cheek (ahem not on bit of innuendo in that either) it does become troubling when something is perceived and people get the wrong ideas on this forum. This is not the first time that a homosexual reference has been made expressly towards musicals. And it doesn’t need to be a distractor like it has. Take the music aspect out of it, and is it still a damn good film, well there you have it, can a good film be made better, that answer is a resounding YES. Old Eddie Murphy joke, just get Elvis to sing his lines, it will work for him.

But what this forum needs to remember is that this is not a place to harass or condemn, and defiantly respect each other and their opinions, lots of good people make sacrifices every day to ensure that. You may not agree, but at least respect that the other individual has the right to their view. Least this become like the talk back threads on a different post. And while we are at it maybe it’s the stars and the setting, maybe it’s the era that the films are set in, maybe it’s the changing of the filmed experience, and Hollywood doesn’t make many musicals anymore in the traditional sense, with the exception of Disney films.

Maybe just maybe the individual, that made the statement has never seen a musical that they are particularly fond of, if so, I will recommend Paint Your Wagon, how can you go wrong, Comedy, Western, Musical, and dear Lord, Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin both sing, hey WB how about that one too.

I am happy that WB is bringing these Goldwyn films to light and hope to see many more from that list of 70 or so, Porgy & Bess, The Best Years Of Our Lives.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm also tired of that "if you like musicals you must be homosexual" statement. I enjoy musicals because there's nothing quite like a musical number done really well. Does that mean I'm homosexual? My wife and sons would be surprised to learn that. I also like action movies such as Terminator and Battleship. Does that mean I'm in my teens or early 20s? If so, what do I do about this gray hair? And how did I get sons 30 years old?
PS. Paint Your Wagon is a Paramount flick, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's another Joshua Logan bomb, maybe his worst.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, what does this announcement indicate about WHV's future releases of Goldwyn titles. Guys and Dolls I get easilly. It is an extremely well known and popular Broadway musical that also pulls in Sinatra fans and maybe some Brando fans. Hans Christian Anderson is tougher as it seems much less well known or popular than many films WHV has yet to release on blu ray (especially Yankee Doodle Dandy). Perhaps WHV was able to use an existing HD master? Perhaps WHV is contractually obligated to release certain or a certain number of the Goldwyn titles on blu ray? That the later possibility seems somewhat likely here is extremely encouraging as I would really like to see blu ray releases of the Gary Cooper films, The Hurricane, Wuthering Heights, The Bishop's Wife, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Princess and the Pirate. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks