Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How Have These Avoided Blu-ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 02:44 AM

I was looking over my DVDs, and certain films jumped out at me as "How'd THESE pictures avoid being on Blu-ray?" All feature major stars and/or major directors in films made no earlier than the mid-60s. I'm sure everyone has his or her own list of head-scratchers, but here's mine: Always (Spielberg directs Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter and John Goodman) The Great Escape A League of Their Own Funny Girl Mary Poppins Mr. Holland's Opus Sleepless in Seattle The Shootist Tribute (Jack Lemmon in an Oscar-nominated performance you can only see on VHS; amazingly, this one didn't even make it to DVD!) Who Framed Roger Rabbit Plus the remaining Rodgers & Hammerstein on Fox: Oklahoma!, State Fair, Carousel and The King and I.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 02:47 AM

I don't know why The Great Escape hasn't hit BD yet, but my cash is ready when it does.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,300 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 29 2012 - 04:21 AM

Disney has stated they're holding Mary Poppins until it's 50th in 2014.

Roger Rabbit's 25th is next year, so my guess is that it'll be sometime in 2013.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 04:50 AM

Disney has stated they/re holding Mary Poppins until it's 50th in 2014.

I know that I would certainly never buy a measly 48th Anniversary edition of Mary Poppins.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted June 29 2012 - 04:51 AM

Disney has stated they/re holding Mary Poppins until it's 50th in 2014.

Good. Perhaps they'll use that time to completely redo that awful sounding 'Enchanced' mix that sounds like a tin-can audio recorded through a drain-pipe.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 04:53 AM

2013 is Sleepless in Seattle's 20th (how can it be???), so surely there will be a blu-ray release - and maybe sooner since Nora Ephron has recently left us. :( Since it is Universal's big 100th celebration, I am surprised they have not released two of their very successful films on blu - Thoroughly Modern Millie, which made them a huge amount of $$$, and Fried Green Tomatoes.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 04:59 AM

Since it is Universal's big 100th celebration, I am surprised they have not released two of their very successful films on blu - Thoroughly Modern Millie, which made them a huge amount of $$$, and Fried Green Tomatoes.

They're saving those for their 150th.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted June 29 2012 - 05:04 AM

I don't know why The Great Escape hasn't hit BD yet, but my cash is ready when it does.

I'm ready for some GREAT ESCAPE on Blu as well but I'm not buying any half-assed Blu that's barely better than the DVD PQ-wise. I'm still not convinced MGM has gotten their act together. Another one I'd love to see on Blu is VON RYAN'S EXPRESS.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,491 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 29 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'm ready for some GREAT ESCAPE on Blu as well but I'm not buying any half-assed Blu that's barely better than the DVD PQ-wise. I'm still not convinced MGM has gotten their act together. Another one I'd love to see on Blu is VON RYAN'S EXPRESS.

Von Ryan's Express has just been released in France http://www.amazon.fr...40990273&sr=1-1 http://caps-a-holic....ID=1112#auswahl It is multi-region. I wonder what's happened to The Great Escape, & while we're talking UA how about The Vikings. If they look anything as good as, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, I'd be very happy.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 29 2012 - 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Disney has stated they're holding Mary Poppins until it's 50th in 2014.

Roger Rabbit's 25th is next year, so my guess is that it'll be sometime in 2013.

Yes, there have been Roger Rabbit promo trailers on some Disney releases I've reviewed in the last couple of months, so its coming is not a surprise. Most welcome, however!

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 08:40 AM

Yes, there have been Roger Rabbit promo trailers on some Disney releases I've reviewed in the last couple of months, so its coming is not a surprise.

Bound to be censored, I'm sure.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,301 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 29 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'd guess that Always will come out after they get the big Spielberg titles out.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 09:44 AM

They're saving those for their 150th.

:laugh: