Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray)

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1706 replies to this topic

#1701 of 1707 OFFLINE   Sadsack

Sadsack

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 11:02 AM

My UK Masterpiece Psycho has English 2.0 mono (DTS-HD MA 2.0) and English 5.1 (DTS-HD MA 5.1).
you're right!! Either I missed it when I was scrolling thru the audio tracks, or forgot it was there and later read the back of the box which only shows English 2.0. I've corrected my post.
The UK stand-alone BD (region-free) contains the original mono track in a lossless format. I don't believe any other Blu-ray version does.
The original poster was referring to "Vertigo." I dont think there is a stand-alone blu of "Vertigo."

#1702 of 1707 OFFLINE   albert_m2

albert_m2

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 06:23 AM

I spent a lot of time and money collecting Hitchcock on dvd starting back in the late 90s. I finally got a blu ray player late last year and have been debating on how much I want upgrade. I saw that this collection has discs that slide, rather that sit which is annoying,  but I'm sure deals can be had on this collection (especially around the holidays again), but I have debated getting the Essentials collection which I can get for like $23 with tax and then get single discs for the others, but they aren't bargains really and would take up more space... I wouldn't buy all of the individual titles, but would get most of them, so that pushes back towards to the Masterpiece set....

So a year out, are most of you happy with the set or would you have a gone a different route?

#1703 of 1707 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,753 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 13 2013 - 12:25 PM

I bought the UK set (region free) for much less money than the US set cost. It didn't have North by Northwest (which I already had anyway), but apart from the lack of quality transfers for all the films, I am simply delighted with the package. It takes up very little room for so many movies, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

#1704 of 1707 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,055 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 12:42 PM

My recommendation would be to try and find the collection cheap and hold onto your DVD of Family Plot, but it was otherwise a very satisfactory collection.  I was one of the lucky ones that got it for $99 (plus shipping) during that strange Fingerhut.com deal and have been generally very satisfied with it (except for the Family Plot transfer).

#1705 of 1707 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,656 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 13 2013 - 02:49 PM

I held onto Family Plot and Marnie for watching, and Vertigo for the correct commentary.

#1706 of 1707 OFFLINE   albert_m2

albert_m2

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info. Whatever I do, I'll steep keep my DVD Masterpiece set. It's a nice set that doesn't take up too much space for a box.

#1707 of 1707 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 07:02 PM

I spent a lot of time and money collecting Hitchcock on dvd starting back in the late 90s. I finally got a blu ray player late last year and have been debating on how much I want upgrade. I saw that this collection has discs that slide, rather that sit which is annoying,  but I'm sure deals can be had on this collection (especially around the holidays again), but I have debated getting the Essentials collection which I can get for like $23 with tax and then get single discs for the others, but they aren't bargains really and would take up more space... I wouldn't buy all of the individual titles, but would get most of them, so that pushes back towards to the Masterpiece set....

So a year out, are most of you happy with the set or would you have a gone a different route?

I'm very happy with the set. I haven't managed to get through all of the titles, yet but I'm about half way through and am enjoying having them in HD. The next one I have to watch is Torn Curtain. I haven't seen that one in years and am looking forward to seeing it again. I just need to find time though!

I didn't have many of the Hitchcock films on DVD, so getting the blu ray set was an easy call for me. I got it for $125 at Costco just a week or two after it was released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users