What's new

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
read thru this thread and the one at bluray.com and while i can understand the inclusion of NBNW, as a trade for Spartacus, i will say that i would have rather seen universal make an araingment with Fox for Lifeboat. its the only title that Fox has, since MGM has already done there releases, as for some of the items originaly in the WB Hitchcock set, i think some of the rumores on here is that some will be getting a relase via Criterion. as for some of the early Hitchcock titles left, i am wondering if maybe Olive will do something?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm trusting the transfers will all be of Pillow Talk quality (and hopefully my trust will be rewarded.) I, too, hope they've revisted The Man Who Knew Too Much, but we'll see. I'm thrilled they're doing this big box all at once. I'm sure individual releases will come for people who only want select titles, but for me, this is a dream. Even at full retail price, if need be (and it won't.)

Real Name
Jason
It would be nice if Warner did this with their Hitchcock Titles. They should of made a deal with paramount for to catch a thief since it's the only Paramount title not in this collection.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Amazon UK is offering a "Masterpiece Collection" box (minus NORTH BY NORTHWEST) that costs $151 at the moment. It should be region-free.
(I bought PILLOW TALK region-free from Amazon UK. It's Blu-ray only and costs $16, $11-$12 less than the US, which also has a DVD. HARVEY will also be available Blu-only, region-free, and cheaper from the UK.)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Regarding the WB holdings, they lost the rights to Foreign Correspondent, yes?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray#post_3940979
Regarding the WB holdings, they lost the rights to Foreign Correspondent, yes?
I believe that is correct. Rumor mill says Criterion may release on BD (based on the fact they released Stagecoach which WHV also lost rights to)

Hopefully RAH will chime on this set to the extent he is able to speak freely. On the surface this would be a no-brainer and "release of the year" contender but Universal's spotty record does raise a legitimate cause of concern.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I do hope they fixed the color of the Vertigo opening titles but I'm not holding my breath.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Lord Dalek said:
I do hope they fixed the color of the Vertigo opening titles but I'm not holding my breath.
Universal has let me done so many times in the past that I've set my expectations fairly low. I'm expecting the incorrectly colored titles and a mislabeled "original mono" track on Vertigo.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I'll have to wait for reviews before I pounce on this. Hoping that my personal favorites: Vertigo, The Trouble With Harry, Rear Window, Rope, and The Man Who Knew to Much will pass RAH's scrutiny.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic! This is great news. All my favorites, and a few I have never seen like 'Family Plot' which has been on my radar for years. Glad I'll be watching it on Blu for the first time.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I believe that's just the way DTS names its format - "DTS Digital Surround"- what's important is what comes after 2.0 Mono. Which is 2 track mono, no surround. L & R carry the same information.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Would have been a blind pre-order from me especially as Amazon UK are selling for only £113 but Universals recent poor catalog blurays will make me wait on this to hear accurate consumer reviews.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I guess someone at Universal was a fan of the Essential Laurel & Hardy Collection as the packaging looks very similar. Hopefully, they remembered to include the paper sleeves from the beginning. I wonder if the fact that this a 15 disk set with a huge price tag says anything about what Universal might do with the classic monsters. Will it just be the major titles, or will they do the various minor titles that appeared on the Legacy Collections and various double feature dvds. How many 1 hr 15 min films could be included on a BD50? My guess would be that we'll see a press release next month. I can't wait. As for this collection, I just hope they get Rear Window right or I won't think about it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/30#post_3941205
I guess someone at Universal was a fan of the Essential Laurel & Hardy Collection as the packaging looks very similar. Hopefully, they remembered to include the paper sleeves from the beginning.

In all honestly, book packaging is a much bigger issue with DVD than Blu-ray. The scratch resistant coating on BDs works really well. In 7+ years of handling Blu-ray discs the only thing I've seen make one skip is fingerprints, and that was easily solved by removing the print from the disc.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I don't have any of these titles on BR yet but do have most on DVD and some of these will definitely need remastering for BR. Like some have said here I will wait for reviews. Keeping fingers crossed!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
In all honestly, book packaging is a much bigger issue with DVD than Blu-ray. The scratch resistant coating on BDs works really well. In 7+ years of handling Blu-ray discs the only thing I've seen make one skip is fingerprints, and that was easily solved by removing the print from the disc.
Good point. I forget that blu-rays are much more scratch resistant that DVDs, so sleeve packaging shouldn't be the issue it is with similar DVD sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks