-

Photo

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES

Fox

• Please log in to reply
1111 replies to this topic

#1041 of 1112 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 764 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 10 2013 - 03:44 PM

Please explain to me this PAL speedup you speak of. Movies were originally photographed at 24 FPS which is what I understand is the frame rate of PAL. On the other hand NTSC runs at 30 FPS which would mean a faster frame rate than they were originally photographed at. According to my reckoning NTSC would therefor run faster than PAL and would need to be slowed rather than PAL being sped up. However I'll be happy to get an alternate view to my view on this subject.

When showing 24 fps film, PAL just speeds it up to 25 fps to match their television frame rate (25 frames/50 fields per second).  NTSC uses a special pulldown and shutter arrangement on the projector to allow 24 fps film to be shown on its 30 frames/60 fields television system at the correct speed..

Edited by John Hermes, October 10 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#1042 of 1112 OFFLINE   Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 03:45 PM

Please explain to me this PAL speedup you speak of.

For faster service, Google < pal speedup >.

#1043 of 1112 ONLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,519 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted October 10 2013 - 07:30 PM

As an Aussie I didn't become aware of PAL Speed-up until I purchased my first bunch of US Laserdiscs back in the 80s.

I had grown so accustomed to the sound of the MGM Movie "The Band Wagon" after countless viewings on Pal TV Broadcasts and local VHS Tape, so I became shocked when I first heard the movie's opening music being played so noticeably slower on the US Laserdisc.   "What's going on here?"

Fred Astaire sounded so high pitched on PAL when compared to the NTSC laserdisc.

About that time I started to notice that the voices of local TV Stars, natural on Videotaped or live TV sounded high pitched and terrible in any added-on  16mm or 35mm filmed segments.

Anyhow after much investigation I finally came to discover the dreaded PAL Speed-up.

I decided from that day to avoid all local and European pal Laserdiscs and DVDs.

Over 90% of my Video collection is NTSC, even though I live in a PAL country.

There are those who say they can't notice the difference.

I say listen to John Wayne first on PAL and then on NTSC.   Character difference= It's a glass of milk versus a swig of whisky.

Luckily Blu-ray seems to have put the speed-up problem to rest.  It now appears to be 24fps universally.

Doug.

#1044 of 1112 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 01:22 PM

One of my longtime wants, No Highway in the Sky, is now available from Fox Cinema Archive. I can finally retire the dub I did from my VHS tape.

Now if someone would only issue City in Fear, a great TV film with quite a cast: David Janssen, Robert Vaughn, Mickey Rourke (as the psychotic bad guy -- surprise!), Susan Sullivan, William Daniels, Lew Ayres, Perry King, and Allan Miller. Then I could retire my last dub from VHS!

• davidHartzog likes this

#1045 of 1112 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 14 2013 - 01:46 PM

One of my longtime wants, No Highway in the Sky, is now available from Fox Cinema Archive. I can finally retire the dub I did from my VHS tape.

You are going to love the transfer for this film. I think it is one if the better that Fox MOD has released. Enjoy.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#1046 of 1112 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,654 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 10:25 PM

After viewing Me and My Gal, I can safely say that I recommend checking out the MOD.  It appears to be a recent transfer of very good video quality.  Audio isn't without fault, but is as good as one can expect from an early talkie.  It also is one of the few pre-Zanuck Fox Film transfers that does not have a 30s era 20th Century Fox fanfare title card tacked onto the beginning of the film.

Edited by JoHud, October 17 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#1047 of 1112 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted October 17 2013 - 09:28 AM

Did you mean Me and My Gal? The TCM showing was very good. Same source, one hopes.

#1048 of 1112 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,654 posts

Posted October 17 2013 - 11:14 AM

Did you mean Me and My Gal? The TCM showing was very good. Same source, one hopes.

D'oh.. yes, that's what I meant.  Fixed.

Edited by JoHud, October 17 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#1049 of 1112 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 439 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted October 29 2013 - 04:00 AM

I have read a review at amazon.com which states that the transfer of MOSS ROSE is an excellent one- above average for this series . 'DVD savant' ,ie. Glenn Erickson, states that the transfer of CRY OF THE CITY is "excellent...almost perfect". Encouraging. I could almost begin to believe the Fox Archives personnel are starting to listen to us....

#1050 of 1112 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted October 29 2013 - 12:28 PM

Cry of the City does look good, much better than the copy I used to have. I wonder what happened with Criterion, which supposedly had the rights to it for several years but never produced a DVD?
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#1051 of 1112 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 29 2013 - 03:03 PM

I have read a review at amazon.com which states that the transfer of MOSS ROSE is an excellent one- above average for this series . 'DVD savant' ,ie. Glenn Erickson, states that the transfer of CRY OF THE CITY is "excellent...almost perfect". Encouraging. I could almost begin to believe the Fox Archives personnel are starting to listen to us....

I'd say "almost" as well, since we're dealing with black and white Academy ratio films here. Not badly misregistered Technicolor films or CinemaScope pictures.

• ahollis likes this

#1052 of 1112 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts

Posted October 30 2013 - 09:00 AM

Cry of the City does look good, much better than the copy I used to have. I wonder what happened with Criterion, which supposedly had the rights to it for several years but never produced a DVD?

Which was the copy you used to have?

• davidHartzog likes this

#1053 of 1112 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted October 30 2013 - 02:31 PM

Fox Cinema Archive seems to be slowing down the last few months . I hope they pick up the pace again after the holidays .

#1054 of 1112 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted October 31 2013 - 06:17 AM

The copy of Cry of the City I used to have, like Rogue Cop, I traded for. I believe it was taped off TCM. I have obtained many films noir, not available on DVD by trading for them, then generally replace them if they come out on DVD or BD. Some look pretty good, others, like Shakedown and and Guilty Bystander, pretty bad, but what you gonna do?
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#1055 of 1112 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 08:11 AM

Fox Cinema Archive seems to be slowing down the last few months . I hope they pick up the pace again after the holidays .

Only if the quality is up to the standard of Cry of the City and Moss Rose. If we go back to VHS-era masters and P&S travesties, then the increase in output will not have been worth it.

• JoHud likes this

#1056 of 1112 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 08:46 AM

For me I would prefer nice prints of every film put out by Fox . But if it's a movie I really want than I would rather have the film than not have the film . I would hope that it would be at the least a decent print . The worst Fox archive films I have so far would be Goodbye Charlie ,which is close to unwatchable with the way it was pan and scaned , and Madison Avenue . All of the pre 50s stuff they released ,that I bought, have looked fine for me . 

#1057 of 1112 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 08:50 AM

The copy of Cry of the City I used to have, like Rogue Cop, I traded for. I believe it was taped off TCM. I have obtained many films noir, not available on DVD by trading for them, then generally replace them if they come out on DVD or BD. Some look pretty good, others, like Shakedown and and Guilty Bystander, pretty bad, but what you gonna do?

Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked was I'm wondering if it's worth double-dipping for this film. The Region 2 DVD I already have is good. 

#1058 of 1112 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted November 09 2013 - 10:11 AM

What's going on with the Fox cinema archives ? Nothing new in almost a month . Last month only a couple new titles . And no new announcements . I hope it's not ditching . Still many more titles for them to put out .

#1059 of 1112 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,643 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 09 2013 - 11:04 PM

What's going on with the Fox cinema archives ? Nothing new in almost a month . Last month only a couple new titles . And no new announcements . I hope it's not ditching . Still many more titles for them to put out .

They're not the only ones that have taken it slow this quarter.  So has Warner Archives and Olive. 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#1060 of 1112 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted November 10 2013 - 11:30 AM

They're not the only ones that have taken it slow this quarter.  So has Warner Archives and Olive. 

That's true . Hopefully it picks up after the holidays .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users