Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stopping online videos, can it be done?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted June 11 2012 - 03:08 AM

Is there a way to stop online videos from loading? Lots of news sites, particularly anything from MSN will show most of a written article, spend a minute or two loading some lame video (which of course starts with a 15-30 second ad before the story), then show the rest of the written article. The video also ends up just being a rehash of the written article which can be read in 1/10 of the time it takes for the ridiculous video. I can stop the video once it starts, but is there a way to stop it from even loading in the first place? Or is this just something we're stuck with forever like the channel logos on television that everybody runs.
Stan

#2 of 3 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted June 11 2012 - 03:48 AM

I'm hoping there's a fancy apprach, because I'm intersted too. But I just have flash disabled by default and only turn it on when I want to use it (very east to do in Firefox).

#3 of 3 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted June 11 2012 - 10:21 AM

If you isolate and identify the feed, you may be able to use adblock to block it but it still probably wont allow you to "skip" the ad. I don't know, I don't usually check out MSN... CNN does the same thing with their videos but I usually just browse on another tab for a bit til the actual video starts (I don't watch videos often anyway).. Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users