Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

When I'm feelin' Blu, all I have to do, is take a look at you, and see you're not so Blu./Blu rays that dont impress

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 12:06 AM

Finally got around to watching Patton-a personal favorite as it was the first movie i saw with my father. As noted before, the BluRay quality left alot to be desired. I also wa very disappointed in Escape From New York on BluRay. What others should one avoid that do not represent Bluray or the premium price well?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   stevenHa

stevenHa

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 01:08 AM

I still am confused as to which available version is "best" right now. I remember asking Robert Harris which he would choose and he said the DVD, but if the onle problem with the blu ray is that it's a little waxy due to loss of some grain info, how would you decide between the improvement of color, sound, and visual detail of the the blu ray over the dvd (I'd be curious for Robert Harris's explanation too) ?

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 06:36 AM

Patton is a notoriously poor blu-ray transfer. Also avoid the blu-ray of The Longest Day and the 2010 Predator blu-ray.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 06:59 AM

I also heard another favorite of mine- The French Connection is an abomination. The old dvd was loaded with extras so I feel no need to trade up. Fox seems to be on a losing streak. Very disappointing.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 07:24 AM

There is a new French Connection Blu, though (a Best Buy exclusive, at least for the time being), that has been received and reviewed much more positively.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 07:26 AM

There is a new French Connection Blu, though (a Best Buy exclusive, at least for the time being), that has been received and reviewed much more positively.

Thanks. Havent heard of that-but I'd like to check it out. These 2 back to back Best Picture winners from Fox deserve much better.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 08:08 AM

Thanks. Havent heard of that-but I'd like to check it out. These 2 back to back Best Picture winners from Fox deserve much better.

The new FRENCH CONNECTION Blu-ray is a winner. Buy with confidence. Best Buy has their Upgrade & Save promo going on now, so I would imagine with a U & S $5 off coupon, you could get the Blu for around $10.

#8 of 12 ONLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 08:11 AM

Pardon me but um, shouldn't this post be directed to the blu ray section rather than the DVD section of the forum? Just askin'.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 08:19 AM

Pardon me but um, shouldn't this post be directed to the blu ray section rather than the DVD section of the forum? Just askin'.

Seems appropriate, Thomas. I think Louis is used to posting over here. I don't really see his famous lists in the Blu-ray section.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 11:48 AM

Seems appropriate, Thomas. I think Louis is used to posting over here. I don't really see his famous lists in the Blu-ray section.

Would that not be "infamous" lists? Thank you Jon. and Thank you for the FC heads up. I would have never known except for this boars. It truly is amazing.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted May 10 2012 - 03:37 AM

Would that not be "infamous" lists? Thank you Jon. and Thank you for the FC heads up. I would have never known except for this boars. It truly is amazing.

I think you'll be extremely pleased with the new FC disc, Louis.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted May 10 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'm sure I will...based on your reccomendation. Thanks. FC 1 was great but part 2 I felt was amazing as well