What's new

5.1 Speakers for $500 to $1,000. (1 Viewer)

BluHT

Agent
Real Name
D Manning
With a maximum budget of $1,000 (and not a cent more), what speakers would you recommend to upgrade my audio to a 5.1 system?
I'm set on my receiver, the Denon AVR-1912 (http://usa.denon.com/US/Pages/Custom...uctDetail.aspx), which I just bought tonight.
The system will join my existing 50-inch plasma TV in a viewing room that's a little over 200 sq ft. It will be used for experiencing films and also for listening to music. Occasionally it will be used for games.
What do you think?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
$1,000 will get you some good speakers that will go well with the receiver. Polk audio, Klipsch have some pretty good models with in that price range, including a sub. Best Buy has this one that is with in your price range: Looking at those speakers sparked how much I miss my Platinum Audio HT speakers. :(
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Audio+Black+Dual+5-1/4%22+Floor+Speakers%2C+Additional+Speakers+%26+Subwoofer/9999163600050014.p?id=pcmprd163400050014&skuId=9999163600050014

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I recently purchased some of the speakers in that package, the TSi100 bookshelves and the CS10 center speakers to upgrade the fronts, and must say I am very pleased with the performance, considering the price I paid.

Originally Posted by Jerome Grate /t/320230/5-1-speakers-for-500-to-1-000#post_3919354
$1,000 will get you some good speakers that will go well with the receiver. Polk audio, Klipsch have some pretty good models with in that price range, including a sub. Best Buy has this one that is with in your price range: Looking at those speakers sparked how much I miss my Platinum Audio HT speakers.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Audio+Black+Dual+5-1/4%22+Floor+Speakers%2C+Additional+Speakers+%26+Subwoofer/9999163600050014.p?id=pcmprd163400050014&skuId=9999163600050014

BluHT

Agent
Real Name
D Manning
Thanks for the replies.
I've noticed Polk tends to be frequently recommended.
I've been looking around and have another question: What do people here think of Aperion speakers? I know a 5.1 set of Aperions is a bit above the budget I specified, but they seem to have good reviews. Has anyone here experienced using/demoing therm? How do they compare?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Not familiar with the Aperions.
$1K was my budget exactly ten years ago when I wanted to upgrade my audio from a perfunctory Kenwood HTIB set up.
I took months, and listened to as much as I could- even going so far as to travel 50 miles to get some huge, monolithic Magnaplaners to audition for a weekend (they sounded sweet, but were just too dominant a presence in the room).
I ended up going with an internet only company- Ascend acoustics. They had a 5.1 package that came with a Hsu sub, 3 identical front speakers and 2 smaller surrounds. I've been absolutely thrilled with them the whole time. Very musical speakers with exceptional imaging. One of the few speakers (that I could afford) that used a soft dome tweeter, which I think was the reason these resonated so strongly with me.
They have package deals- what I got was 3 CBM-170s and 2 HTM 200s for the surrounds. Now this package (without the sub) is $738 + $68 shipping. Since I bought mine, they introduced a heftier (and pricier of course) center channel but one of the things I've always loved about this set up is the front array are all identical. I've had absolutely no desire to upgrade the center to something more 'impressive'. It's balanced now which is what I truly appreciate.
Most of these internet only companies have a 30 day in home guarantee- you buy em, try 'em and if they don't work for you you pay the shipping to send them back. I did that for a couple other different brands before I found the Ascends. It was well worth the $40 or $50 lost on return shipping when I finally found the ones that were right for me.
best advice I got when I was looking to upgrade was - take your time, listen to as much as possible- even things out of your budget. That will help you focus on qualities you want for the things that are in your budget. And when you find the speaker that is absolutely right for you, you'll know it. Don't settle, just to get it over with. Enjoy the process because if you do it right, you won't be doing it again for a very long time.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
BluHT, a couple of things you should be mindful of is the service of the company you purchase your speakers from. I know that sounds obvious, but it can really make the difference in your purchase. When I had my speakers, two of the woofers went bad, one for an unexplained reason and the second one was due to my wife dropping the top end of the vacuum and knocking the speaker down. On both occasions, Platinum Audio replaced them at no charge but shipping. They really stood behind their product before shutting down. That is the kind of customer service you want when dealing with companies like eCost, Crutchfield or any other mail order company for speakers. Those Ascend Acoustics look great, and remind me of my missed speakers. The one concern I have about those is the fact that the port is in the back especially in regards to the surround speakers. If you plan on hanging them up on a wall, perhaps something with ports in the front.

BluHT

Agent
Real Name
D Manning
Paul_Scott said:
Not familiar with the Aperions.
$1K was my budget exactly ten years ago when I wanted to upgrade my audio from a perfunctory Kenwood HTIB set up.
I took months, and listened to as much as I could- even going so far as to travel 50 miles to get some huge, monolithic Magnaplaners to audition for a weekend (they sounded sweet, but were just too dominant a presence in the room).
I ended up going with an internet only company- Ascend acoustics. They had a 5.1 package that came with a Hsu sub, 3 identical front speakers and 2 smaller surrounds. I've been absolutely thrilled with them the whole time. Very musical speakers with exceptional imaging. One of the few speakers (that I could afford) that used a soft dome tweeter, which I think was the reason these resonated so strongly with me.
They have package deals- what I got was 3 CBM-170s and 2 HTM 200s for the surrounds. Now this package (without the sub) is $738 + $68 shipping. Since I bought mine, they introduced a heftier (and pricier of course) center channel but one of the things I've always loved about this set up is the front array are all identical. I've had absolutely no desire to upgrade the center to something more 'impressive'. It's balanced now which is what I truly appreciate.
Most of these internet only companies have a 30 day in home guarantee- you buy em, try 'em and if they don't work for you you pay the shipping to send them back. I did that for a couple other different brands before I found the Ascends. It was well worth the $40 or $50 lost on return shipping when I finally found the ones that were right for me.
best advice I got when I was looking to upgrade was - take your time, listen to as much as possible- even things out of your budget. That will help you focus on qualities you want for the things that are in your budget. And when you find the speaker that is absolutely right for you, you'll know it. Don't settle, just to get it over with. Enjoy the process because if you do it right, you won't be doing it again for a very long time.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Paul. Your points are well taken, especially the one about trying out various speakers to hear the subtle (or not so subtle?) differences in sound quality from model to model.
I'm strongly thinking of trying the Aperion Intimus 4T Hybrid set (http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus4THybridSD,170,70,416.aspx). Its price is a bit above my original budget, but the reviews seem to be solid, there's a ten-year warranty and the company has a thirty-day in-home trial period and will provide support for the life of the product. Further, there's no tax or shipping charges and, if I'm not pleased, I can return it for a full refund and no with no charge for return shipping.

Steve04

Auditioning
Real Name
peter
Need Reviews about latest Yamaha speakers and receivers i like clear and concise approach. If y any suggestions, I would love to see some aussie URL's!

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
Polk Monitor 60 Towers: 240 For Pair ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290207 ) Black is 40 more I think
Polk CS2 Center: Both Black and Cherry Same Price 109 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212 )
Polk Monitor 40 Bookshelf 150 Pair for both Black/Cherry ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202 )
If you want to mix it up on the rear, I just got these and like them...a little more expensive but still in budget
Klipsch RS 42 II reference: 430 Pair ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/140733315906?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 ) I pointed out an error in his add about them being new and refurbed, he sent me new
So if you go all polk you are at: 499 before the sub purchase. If you go Polk front's and Klipsch Rear you are at 779.
I have a 5 year old Definitive Tech Sub I love, but some guys here have pointed out good subs.
I have basically the setup listed above. Monitor 60 Towers, Polk Center, and Klipsch Rears (I also have VS14's for my 7.1) and the definitive Tech Sub. Either way, for the 200 Sq Ft Room you have, that above should be nice and is a good head start.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks