Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disney's John Carter (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo) now available for preorder on Amazon

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,770 posts

Posted March 30 2012 - 03:44 PM

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...33150814&sr=8-1

BE CERTAIN TO LOOK FOR THE $5 ADDITIONAL SAVINGS COUPON 

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...33150814&sr=8-2

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,874 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 30 2012 - 03:54 PM

Isn't this movie STILL playing in theaters?! Jesus, that was quick.

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,770 posts

Posted March 30 2012 - 04:00 PM

Shawn,   There has been no official press release, but the fact that it has appeared on Amazon tells me that it can't be too far behind.   The film was a box-office flop.  For that reason, I  suspect the studio is going to get this out quick to try and recoup some of their losses.   ...of course that's my personal opinion.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,874 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 30 2012 - 04:20 PM

That occurred to me, too. 

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted March 30 2012 - 04:48 PM

I saw the 2d version on the big screen. a theatre that had a 65 inch size. it was a fine theatre. too bad the movie stunk. Jacob

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,169 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 30 2012 - 06:08 PM

Glad they're going to issue the 3D version.

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,524 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 31 2012 - 02:07 PM

$35. Yeah, that's priced to sell.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,407 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 31 2012 - 05:23 PM

I saw the 2d version on the big screen. a theatre that had a 65 inch size. it was a fine theatre. too bad the movie stunk. Jacob
Why would you pay to see a movie on a screen that small?
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 05:27 PM

I'm going to pay to see the movie on a 42" screen.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,407 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm going to pay to see the movie on a 42" screen.
That's not the same thing. If you buy it and watch at home it's different than going to a theater and paying to watch it on a screen that's a little bigger then a tv screen. At least you get to keep it or sell it as you decide. If I went to a theater and saw the room was that small I would go get my money back. Maybe he meant 65' screen
facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 05:59 PM

I appreciate that, Tony. Actually in retrospect I agree with you about seeing a movie on a theatrical screen that small. But that's the curse of the modern multiplex. It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't find a screen that dinky. It's one of the reasons I don't go to the cinema any more. Here in my home town we have one ten-screen multiplex with a number of different-sized screens. The largest screens are something like forty feet, and the smallest is probably in the 100 inch range. Compared with the cinemas of old, where movies were showcased rather simply thrown on a screen, modern cinemas are a depressing prospect. We used to have screens up to (I think) about 100 feet - certainly the theatre containing that screen was the largest auditorium in the UK. Now it's a cabaret bar. To see a decent-sized screen I think I would have to travel cross-country to Bradford where they have Cinerama and IMAX capability, but here in my home town there's just the Odeon multiplex and the people who run it don't really care. My home set up is a 42" LG with 3D capability. It's about as big a screen as can comfortably be accommodated in the living room at our current viewing distance, which I would say would be the equivalent of watching a moderately-sized theatre screen from the middle of the balcony (or the stalls if you sit cross-legged on the floor) ;)
J Mark Oates

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 06:26 PM

it was was like a mini imax screen of 65 inches. not the same size as home theatre. Jacob

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,407 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 07:38 PM

Wow Jacob I don't know what to say about that. 65" is still much too small for a legitimate theater going experience.
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 31 2012 - 07:40 PM

65-inches is what my last widescreen television was.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,407 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 07:41 PM

Mark that's mostly why we don't go to the movies anymore. We have one theater that's we trust but is nearly 25 miles away. The local closer Regal is a 16 screen room but it is pretty random on what movie will be showing on the small screens in there. Not worth going. We have left and asked for money back on the several times we walked into a tiny screen. The reason why our last two sets have been 73" screens. I preordered this movie with the extra $5 off but expect it to be much lower that the $30 I ordered it for by release day.
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted April 01 2012 - 03:22 PM

This side of the puddle the release date is still to be announced. I'm expecting it to come in around £17.99 (about US$27) for the Triple Play or maybe £20ish for the Super Play including the 3D Blu. If Disney play silly sods with the pricing and want £25-27 for the 3D set I may give up and wait for Blockbusters to stick it on their ex-rental shelf.
J Mark Oates

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts

Posted April 02 2012 - 10:23 AM

The film was a box-office flop.  For that reason, I  suspect the studio is going to get this out quick to try and recoup some of their losses.
Well, there's "Flop" and there's "Box office disappointment, persecuted by media panic". (Like "What did they expect in March, if it wasn't a teen novel?" and "Now, y'see, if they'd done a poster more like this cover...") With Disney for ex., "Pearl Harbor" was a Flop, "The Alamo" was a relatively watchable Persecuted Disappointment.

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 02 2012 - 11:28 AM

"Persecuted Disappointment." I like that. :) Took my son over the weekend and we both loved the movie. The disc will probably find its way into my collection at some point.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,565 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 02 2012 - 02:37 PM

I appreciate that, Tony. Actually in retrospect I agree with you about seeing a movie on a theatrical screen that small. But that's the curse of the modern multiplex. It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't find a screen that dinky. It's one of the reasons I don't go to the cinema any more. Here in my home town we have one ten-screen multiplex with a number of different-sized screens. The largest screens are something like forty feet, and the smallest is probably in the 100 inch range. Compared with the cinemas of old, where movies were showcased rather simply thrown on a screen, modern cinemas are a depressing prospect. We used to have screens up to (I think) about 100 feet - certainly the theatre containing that screen was the largest auditorium in the UK. Now it's a cabaret bar. To see a decent-sized screen I think I would have to travel cross-country to Bradford where they have Cinerama and IMAX capability, but here in my home town there's just the Odeon multiplex and the people who run it don't really care.
My home set up is a 42" LG with 3D capability. It's about as big a screen as can comfortably be accommodated in the living room at our current viewing distance, which I would say would be the equivalent of watching a moderately-sized theatre screen from the middle of the balcony (or the stalls if you sit cross-legged on the floor) ;)

100 feet must have been a Cinerama screen. I have a list of the UK Cinerama theatres on my web site - http://cineramahisto...amatheatres.htm . Some of them have pictures of the screens and/or the curtains in front of the screens.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,565 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 02 2012 - 03:17 PM

As for going to the movies, we don't anymore. Costs about the same to buy a blu-ray as going to the movies so why bother. I have a Sony 55 inch 1080p 3D TV in our family room (I got that for free being one of the top salesman in our store) and a 720p Sanyo front projector (paid $1500 and got two bulbs with it) in my home theatre room. I just project on to a wall and looks fine for me.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users