What's new

Disney's John Carter (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo) now available for preorder on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
7fc4871a_51ec87um3tL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Four-Disc-Combo-Blu-ray/dp/B005LAIH3G/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333150814&sr=8-1
BE CERTAIN TO LOOK FOR THE $5 ADDITIONAL SAVINGS COUPON

7e200c39_51ga9DF0L3L._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B007MDB71O/ref=sr_tr_sr_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333150814&sr=8-2

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Isn't this movie STILL playing in theaters?! Jesus, that was quick.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shawn,

There has been no official press release, but the fact
that it has appeared on Amazon tells me that it can't
be too far behind.

The film was a box-office flop. For that reason, I
suspect the studio is going to get this out quick to
try and recoup some of their losses.

...of course that's my personal opinion.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw the 2d version on the big screen. a theatre that had a 65 inch size. it was a fine theatre. too bad the movie stunk.
Jacob

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TheBat said:
I saw the 2d version on the big screen. a theatre that had a 65 inch size. it was a fine theatre. too bad the movie stunk.
Jacob
Why would you pay to see a movie on a screen that small?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mark Oates said:
I'm going to pay to see the movie on a 42" screen.
That's not the same thing. If you buy it and watch at home it's different than going to a theater and paying to watch it on a screen that's a little bigger then a tv screen.
At least you get to keep it or sell it as you decide.
If I went to a theater and saw the room was that small I would go get my money back.
Maybe he meant 65' screen

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I appreciate that, Tony. Actually in retrospect I agree with you about seeing a movie on a theatrical screen that small. But that's the curse of the modern multiplex. It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't find a screen that dinky. It's one of the reasons I don't go to the cinema any more. Here in my home town we have one ten-screen multiplex with a number of different-sized screens. The largest screens are something like forty feet, and the smallest is probably in the 100 inch range. Compared with the cinemas of old, where movies were showcased rather simply thrown on a screen, modern cinemas are a depressing prospect. We used to have screens up to (I think) about 100 feet - certainly the theatre containing that screen was the largest auditorium in the UK. Now it's a cabaret bar. To see a decent-sized screen I think I would have to travel cross-country to Bradford where they have Cinerama and IMAX capability, but here in my home town there's just the Odeon multiplex and the people who run it don't really care.
My home set up is a 42" LG with 3D capability. It's about as big a screen as can comfortably be accommodated in the living room at our current viewing distance, which I would say would be the equivalent of watching a moderately-sized theatre screen from the middle of the balcony (or the stalls if you sit cross-legged on the floor) ;)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
it was was like a mini imax screen of 65 inches. not the same size as home theatre.
Jacob

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wow Jacob I don't know what to say about that.
65" is still much too small for a legitimate theater going experience.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mark that's mostly why we don't go to the movies anymore. We have one theater that's we trust but is nearly 25 miles away.
The local closer Regal is a 16 screen room but it is pretty random on what movie will be showing on the small screens in there.
Not worth going. We have left and asked for money back on the several times we walked into a tiny screen.
The reason why our last two sets have been 73" screens.
I preordered this movie with the extra $5 off but expect it to be much lower that the $30 I ordered it for by release day.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
This side of the puddle the release date is still to be announced. I'm expecting it to come in around £17.99 (about US$27) for the Triple Play or maybe £20ish for the Super Play including the 3D Blu. If Disney play silly sods with the pricing and want £25-27 for the 3D set I may give up and wait for Blockbusters to stick it on their ex-rental shelf.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
The film was a box-office flop.  For that reason, I 
suspect the studio is going to get this out quick to
try and recoup some of their losses.
Well, there's "Flop" and there's "Box office disappointment, persecuted by media panic".
(Like "What did they expect in March, if it wasn't a teen novel?" and "Now, y'see, if they'd done a poster more like this cover...")
With Disney for ex., "Pearl Harbor" was a Flop, "The Alamo" was a relatively watchable Persecuted Disappointment.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
"Persecuted Disappointment." I like that. :)
Took my son over the weekend and we both loved the movie. The disc will probably find its way into my collection at some point.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Mark Oates said:
I appreciate that, Tony. Actually in retrospect I agree with you about seeing a movie on a theatrical screen that small. But that's the curse of the modern multiplex. It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't find a screen that dinky. It's one of the reasons I don't go to the cinema any more. Here in my home town we have one ten-screen multiplex with a number of different-sized screens. The largest screens are something like forty feet, and the smallest is probably in the 100 inch range. Compared with the cinemas of old, where movies were showcased rather simply thrown on a screen, modern cinemas are a depressing prospect. We used to have screens up to (I think) about 100 feet - certainly the theatre containing that screen was the largest auditorium in the UK. Now it's a cabaret bar. To see a decent-sized screen I think I would have to travel cross-country to Bradford where they have Cinerama and IMAX capability, but here in my home town there's just the Odeon multiplex and the people who run it don't really care.
My home set up is a 42" LG with 3D capability. It's about as big a screen as can comfortably be accommodated in the living room at our current viewing distance, which I would say would be the equivalent of watching a moderately-sized theatre screen from the middle of the balcony (or the stalls if you sit cross-legged on the floor) ;)
100 feet must have been a Cinerama screen. I have a list of the UK Cinerama theatres on my web site - http://cineramahistory.com/ctcineramatheatres.htm . Some of them have pictures of the screens and/or the curtains in front of the screens.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
As for going to the movies, we don't anymore. Costs about the same to buy a blu-ray as going to the movies so why bother. I have a Sony 55 inch 1080p 3D TV in our family room (I got that for free being one of the top salesman in our store) and a 720p Sanyo front projector (paid $1500 and got two bulbs with it) in my home theatre room. I just project on to a wall and looks fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks