What's new

EVITA- bluray 5-22-12. (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
If you go looking for this at Best Buy, they've put it in the Family Blu section of all places...
Glad they put the doc on here but can't retire the Criterion for lack of commentary...
Now that "The Game" has been announced for Criterion, we can all start bitching until this one gets picked up haha. (Either this or Brazil - the two most expensive single film LDs I've ever bought)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm looking at the case right now, and it has the A-B-C symbol, so it looks like you're good to go in the UK!

BTW, I skimmed though the disc tonight, and it looks pretty good to me. It looks like the way it did in theaters to the best of my recollection (it has been 15 years), and there's no excessive digital manipulation that I can see. Sound is excellent as well.

Too bad about the missing commentary, but it's nice to finally have a watchable version of this available.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I watched EVITA last night. Finally excellent picture quality and above all the sound is even better than it was in the theaters.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
There are some instances of "mumps" focus issues I noticed esp. for High Flying Adored right as Madonna comes up the stair case... the area of her dress in frame has that out of focus look. You may notice other instances throughout but mainly from how the film was show I would assume.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12#post_3940349
There are some instances of "mumps" focus issues I noticed esp. for High Flying Adored right as Madonna comes up the stair case... the area of her dress in frame has that out of focus look. You may notice other instances throughout but mainly from how the film was show I would assume.

I did notice one or two instances of focus inconsistencies due what I presumed was the DP using shallow depth-of-field (is this what you're referring to with the phrase "mumps" focus??), but I don't believe that indicates a problem with the transfer. It's just the way the film was shot. I think that's what you're saying as well (I assume that was a typo in your last sentence).

danny3570

Auditioning
Real Name
dan lyons
The focus issues noted are also present in the 35mm prints of this title; this is a great looking transfer. :D

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by danny3570 /t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12#post_3940363
The focus issues noted are also present in the 35mm prints of this title; this is a great looking transfer.

good to know i haven't yanked out my old Criterion LD set to check to see if it seemed out of focus on those points also. I bet Penny Rose is still angry that the shot wasn't fully in focus for that gown coming up the stairs. (High Flying Adored)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Craig S /t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12#post_3940356

I did notice one or two instances of focus inconsistencies due what I presumed was the DP using shallow depth-of-field (is this what you're referring to with the phrase "mumps" focus??), but I don't believe that indicates a problem with the transfer. It's just the way the film was shot. I think that's what you're saying as well (I assume that was a typo in your last sentence).

I suspect it may have more to do with JDC Scope than anything else.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Lord Dalek said:
I suspect it may have more to do with JDC Scope than anything else.
Forgive my ignorance here, but that does mean it should be at 2.35? I first saw this at the Cinerama Dome when it came out, but apparently the producers didn't like the curved screen and they put up a flat screen. But it was poorly done and the film as projected extended into the masking, for some reason during the funeral it extended quite a ways off the screen into the masking. I complained to the manager who said that was the way the producers wanted it, which obviously can't be so. I always thought it was supposed to be 1.85 for some reason.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The 14 theaters I saw this at during the original run all played at 2.35, along with the $125 Criterion LD and the craptastic DVD. The Blu is correct in this regard.

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
Powell&Pressburger said:
wow, Last night I popped this in to see a couple of scenes and sure enough- the bottom left corner of her ascending the stairway (mentioned above) was way off, in a digital sort of way (not just out of focus). I'm hoping theres no other instances of this.
Glad you caught it too!

DavidBC

Second Unit
DavidDTS said:
wow, Last night I popped this in to see a couple of scenes and sure enough- the bottom left corner of her ascending the stairway (mentioned above) was way off, in a digital sort of way (not just out of focus). I'm hoping theres no other instances of this.
Glad you caught it too!
That part of the shot is manipulated to be out of focus to hide how very pregnant Madonna was by that point in the shoot, one of many little tricks used. It was like that in the theater, I remember commenting on it at the time.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by bryan4999 /t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12#post_3940431
Forgive my ignorance here, but that does mean it should be at 2.35? I first saw this at the Cinerama Dome when it came out, but apparently the producers didn't like the curved screen and they put up a flat screen. But it was poorly done and the film as projected extended into the masking, for some reason during the funeral it extended quite a ways off the screen into the masking. I complained to the manager who said that was the way the producers wanted it, which obviously can't be so. I always thought it was supposed to be 1.85 for some reason.
Nah, J-D-C is just a somewhat subpar process visually. The Joe Dutton Camera uses converted spherical lenses instead of actual anamorphic ones and every film I've seen shot in it (Poltergeist, Return of the Jedi, Legend, etc.) has a weird somewhat mushy quality to it.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
eric scott richard said:
I loved this film when it came out, and I thought Madonna was outstanding.
Eric, I have to agree. I thought Madonna was great in the part. While Elaine Page and Patti Lupone are wonderful on the stage, movie performances are a breed apart. Can't wait to see Evita on Blu-ray. I can finally trash that a abysmal DVD that's beef sitting on my shelf, unwatched, for years.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Moe Dickstein said:
The 14 theaters I saw this at during the original run all played at 2.35, along with the $125 Criterion LD and the craptastic DVD. The Blu is correct in this regard.
Did you happen to see it at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood? If so, do you recall the flat screen they put up just for Evita?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
No, I was living in Chicago at the time, so I saw it on my birthday New Year Eve and opening day there at Piper's Alley then various other theaters in the area over the next several months. Still my second favorite musical after 1776.
From what little I know of the Dome (never having seen a film in that house, but only in the other Arclight houses in the complex) is that the screen is tremendously curved, and so it doesn't surprise me that they would attempt to put something flatter up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks