Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

EVITA- bluray 5-22-12.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 19 2012 - 04:04 PM

If you go looking for this at Best Buy, they've put it in the Family Blu section of all places... Glad they put the doc on here but can't retire the Criterion for lack of commentary... Now that "The Game" has been announced for Criterion, we can all start bitching until this one gets picked up haha. (Either this or Brazil - the two most expensive single film LDs I've ever bought)
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted June 19 2012 - 11:11 PM

Would this Blu Ray be region "A" locked?

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,601 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 19 2012 - 11:24 PM

I'm looking at the case right now, and it has the A-B-C symbol, so it looks like you're good to go in the UK!   BTW, I skimmed though the disc tonight, and it looks pretty good to me. It looks like the way it did in theaters to the best of my recollection (it has been 15 years), and there's no excessive digital manipulation that I can see. Sound is excellent as well.    Too bad about the missing commentary, but it's nice to finally have a watchable version of this available.
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted June 19 2012 - 11:37 PM

Thanks. Yes, the dvd was pretty dire. Time to place my order with Amazon.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   kagemusha98

kagemusha98

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 03:36 AM

I watched EVITA last night. Finally excellent picture quality and above all the sound is even better than it was in the theaters.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,820 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 20 2012 - 03:38 AM

Glad to hear the picture quality is decent. My copy is on its way from Amazon. Another non-anamorphic DVD in the collection can bite the dust!

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,597 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 20 2012 - 07:12 AM

Excellent! Can't wait to pick this up.

#8 of 36 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted June 20 2012 - 07:15 AM

There are some instances of "mumps" focus issues I noticed esp. for High Flying Adored right as Madonna comes up the stair case... the area of her dress in frame has that out of focus look. You may notice other instances throughout but mainly from how the film was show I would assume.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,601 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 20 2012 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12#post_3940349 There are some instances of "mumps" focus issues I noticed esp. for High Flying Adored right as Madonna comes up the stair case... the area of her dress in frame has that out of focus look. You may notice other instances throughout but mainly from how the film was show I would assume.
  I did notice one or two instances of focus inconsistencies due what I presumed was the DP using shallow depth-of-field (is this what you're referring to with the phrase "mumps" focus??), but I don't believe that indicates a problem with the transfer. It's just the way the film was shot. I think that's what you're saying as well (I assume that was a typo in your last sentence).
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   danny3570

danny3570

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 07:46 AM

The focus issues noted are also present in the 35mm prints of this title; this is a great looking transfer. :D

#11 of 36 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted June 20 2012 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny3570 /t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12#post_3940363 The focus issues noted are also present in the 35mm prints of this title; this is a great looking transfer.
    good to know i haven't yanked out my old Criterion LD set to check to see if it seemed out of focus on those points also. I bet Penny Rose is still angry that the shot wasn't fully in focus for that gown coming up the stairs. (High Flying Adored)

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,231 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S /t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12#post_3940356   I did notice one or two instances of focus inconsistencies due what I presumed was the DP using shallow depth-of-field (is this what you're referring to with the phrase "mumps" focus??), but I don't believe that indicates a problem with the transfer. It's just the way the film was shot. I think that's what you're saying as well (I assume that was a typo in your last sentence).
  I suspect it may have more to do with JDC Scope than anything else.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 10:23 AM

I suspect it may have more to do with JDC Scope than anything else.
Forgive my ignorance here, but that does mean it should be at 2.35? I first saw this at the Cinerama Dome when it came out, but apparently the producers didn't like the curved screen and they put up a flat screen. But it was poorly done and the film as projected extended into the masking, for some reason during the funeral it extended quite a ways off the screen into the masking. I complained to the manager who said that was the way the producers wanted it, which obviously can't be so. I always thought it was supposed to be 1.85 for some reason.

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,183 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 03:30 PM

The 14 theaters I saw this at during the original run all played at 2.35, along with the $125 Criterion LD and the craptastic DVD. The Blu is correct in this regard.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   DavidDTS

DavidDTS

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 08:09 PM

There are some instances of "mumps" focus issues I noticed esp. for High Flying Adored right as Madonna comes up the stair case... the area of her dress in frame has that out of focus look. You may notice other instances throughout but mainly from how the film was show I would assume.
wow, Last night I popped this in to see a couple of scenes and sure enough- the bottom left corner of her ascending the stairway (mentioned above) was way off, in a digital sort of way (not just out of focus). I'm hoping theres no other instances of this. Glad you caught it too!

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted June 20 2012 - 11:09 PM

wow, Last night I popped this in to see a couple of scenes and sure enough- the bottom left corner of her ascending the stairway (mentioned above) was way off, in a digital sort of way (not just out of focus). I'm hoping theres no other instances of this. Glad you caught it too!
That part of the shot is manipulated to be out of focus to hide how very pregnant Madonna was by that point in the shoot, one of many little tricks used. It was like that in the theater, I remember commenting on it at the time.
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,231 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan4999 /t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12#post_3940431 Forgive my ignorance here, but that does mean it should be at 2.35? I first saw this at the Cinerama Dome when it came out, but apparently the producers didn't like the curved screen and they put up a flat screen. But it was poorly done and the film as projected extended into the masking, for some reason during the funeral it extended quite a ways off the screen into the masking. I complained to the manager who said that was the way the producers wanted it, which obviously can't be so. I always thought it was supposed to be 1.85 for some reason.
Nah, J-D-C is just a somewhat subpar process visually. The Joe Dutton Camera uses converted spherical lenses instead of actual anamorphic ones and every film I've seen shot in it (Poltergeist, Return of the Jedi, Legend, etc.) has a weird somewhat mushy quality to it.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 06:59 AM

I loved this film when it came out, and I thought Madonna was outstanding.
Eric, I have to agree. I thought Madonna was great in the part. While Elaine Page and Patti Lupone are wonderful on the stage, movie performances are a breed apart. Can't wait to see Evita on Blu-ray. I can finally trash that a abysmal DVD that's beef sitting on my shelf, unwatched, for years.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 07:47 AM

The 14 theaters I saw this at during the original run all played at 2.35, along with the $125 Criterion LD and the craptastic DVD. The Blu is correct in this regard.
Did you happen to see it at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood? If so, do you recall the flat screen they put up just for Evita?

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,183 posts

Posted June 21 2012 - 09:32 AM

No, I was living in Chicago at the time, so I saw it on my birthday New Year Eve and opening day there at Piper's Alley then various other theaters in the area over the next several months. Still my second favorite musical after 1776. From what little I know of the Dome (never having seen a film in that house, but only in the other Arclight houses in the complex) is that the screen is tremendously curved, and so it doesn't surprise me that they would attempt to put something flatter up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users