-

Photo
- - - - -

EVITA- bluray 5-22-12.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 744 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 05:29 AM

Bluray .com is reporting a May release of EVITA. VideoETA.

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 06:05 AM

If it weren't for the horrific miscasting of the female lead I would buy this otherwise excellent film on blu-ray. If only they would beg and plead with Patty Lupone to overdub the voice.

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,216 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 11 2012 - 07:44 AM

Hopefully I'll be able to finally retire the Criterion LD…

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,125 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm sure it's heresy to some, but I always thought Madonna did a pretty credible job in Evita. Of course, that could be because I never saw the stage production. Saw the movie in theater as my first experience, even won the soundtrack at the showing which was some radio station promotion. When I bought my first DVDs back in 1998 (has it really been 14 years? :( ) this happened to be one of them, along with Mary Poppins. I thought they looked great (on a 27" CRT at the time). Hundreds and hundreds of discs later, and they're finally upgrading that old non-anamorphic disc.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted March 11 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hold on to your Criterion LaserDisc sets... I really want a Criterion edition of this film to Blu and not just the film only on blu. It is a double edge sword release also.

and as for Ricard-W just play your old Broadway cast albums and stay away from the film if you feel that way. it has been 15 years lets get over it Posted Image

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,251 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 11 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well, I have to agree with Richard. Since it's a sung-through musical, being able to negotiate the score is of paramount importance, and Madonna struggles with rhythms, pronunciations, pitch, and the keys have been lowered robbing the music of some of its vitality and immediacy.

For me, Antonio Bandaras is the real reason for being enthusiastic about Evita on Blu-ray. He is superb casting, and he has the electricity in his singing and undeniable screen charisma to capture the essence of his character to perfection.

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,316 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 11 2012 - 08:40 AM

Do you have a link to this announcement? I don't see anything about it on Blu-ray.com I really hope it is true because this movie has been terribly neglected by Miramax, and the non-anamorphic DVD is pretty much unwatchable on a projection screen.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 744 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 09:35 AM

http://videoeta.com/movie/10275

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 11 2012 - 09:49 AM

Well, I have to agree with Richard. Since it's a sung-through musical, being able to negotiate the score is of paramount importance, and Madonna struggles with rhythms, pronunciations, pitch, and the keys have been lowered robbing the music of some of its vitality and immediacy. For me, Antonio Bandaras is the real reason for being enthusiastic about Evita on Blu-ray. He is superb casting, and he has the electricity in his singing and undeniable screen charisma to capture the essence of his character to perfection.

The entire cast right down to the smallest role is outstanding. The music is fresh and vital. Cinematography and period detail and atmosphere and all the storytelling elements are first-rate. This is superior cinema and a superior musical by any standards. Except for the female lead. She sinks this ship like a heat-sinking missile. If they had cast a pink elephant weighing two thousand tons, the effect would be the same. To quote Henry Higgins, "Damn the woman!"

#10 of 36 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,511 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 11 2012 - 09:49 AM

I saw the stage production of this a couple of times, and thought that Madonna did a decent job in the film version of the role.I agree that Antonio Bandaras was terrific as Che Guevara -- he really surprised me in this role. I will gladly be replacing my non-anamorphic DVD copy of this film on the shelf.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,704 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 03:31 PM

I was on my honeymoon at Disney World when EVITA was released and they had a great exhibit of props and costumes from the film at the then MGM Studios. My wife and I then saw the film on its opening day at the cineplex they had there at Disney. The theater was almost empty. I knew then that the film was in trouble financially. Artistically, I thought the film was excellent. I also thought Madonna did a credible job with the role. Is she a belter like LuPone or Paige? No. That said, a film doesn't need a belter like a stage does. Sadly, aside from the still-pricey Criterion LD set, the film has been treated horribly on home video. I don't expect the new BD to be any different.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 12 2012 - 03:42 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if Evita got an on-stage videotaping like Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall. Not necessarily with Lupone or Paige, although it would be nice, but with any of the splendid performers who have played the part over the the last 34 years. An on-stage taping may not be cinematic, but it works as drama and as opera. Posted Image

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 12 2012 - 03:51 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if Evita got an on-stage videotaping like Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall. Not necessarily with Lupone or Paige, although it would be nice, but with any of the splendid performers who have played the part over the the last 34 years. An on-stage taping may not be cinematic, but it works as drama and as opera.

I doubt this will happen with the new revival opening on Broadway.

#14 of 36 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 12 2012 - 04:02 PM

I loved this film when it came out, and I thought Madonna was outstanding.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 19 2012 - 12:04 PM

If you go looking for this at Best Buy, they've put it in the Family Blu section of all places... Glad they put the doc on here but can't retire the Criterion for lack of commentary... Now that "The Game" has been announced for Criterion, we can all start bitching until this one gets picked up haha. (Either this or Brazil - the two most expensive single film LDs I've ever bought)
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted June 19 2012 - 07:11 PM

Would this Blu Ray be region "A" locked?

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,508 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 19 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm looking at the case right now, and it has the A-B-C symbol, so it looks like you're good to go in the UK!

BTW, I skimmed though the disc tonight, and it looks pretty good to me. It looks like the way it did in theaters to the best of my recollection (it has been 15 years), and there's no excessive digital manipulation that I can see. Sound is excellent as well.

Too bad about the missing commentary, but it's nice to finally have a watchable version of this available.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted June 19 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thanks. Yes, the dvd was pretty dire. Time to place my order with Amazon.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   kagemusha98

kagemusha98

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted June 19 2012 - 11:36 PM

I watched EVITA last night. Finally excellent picture quality and above all the sound is even better than it was in the theaters.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,511 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 19 2012 - 11:38 PM

Glad to hear the picture quality is decent. My copy is on its way from Amazon. Another non-anamorphic DVD in the collection can bite the dust!