EVITA- bluray 5-22-12.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Moe Dickstein, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    If you go looking for this at Best Buy, they've put it in the Family Blu section of all places...
    Glad they put the doc on here but can't retire the Criterion for lack of commentary...
    Now that "The Game" has been announced for Criterion, we can all start bitching until this one gets picked up haha. (Either this or Brazil - the two most expensive single film LDs I've ever bought)

2. Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp Second Unit

Brian Sharp
    Would this Blu Ray be region "A" locked?

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I'm looking at the case right now, and it has the A-B-C symbol, so it looks like you're good to go in the UK!

BTW, I skimmed though the disc tonight, and it looks pretty good to me. It looks like the way it did in theaters to the best of my recollection (it has been 15 years), and there's no excessive digital manipulation that I can see. Sound is excellent as well.

Too bad about the missing commentary, but it's nice to finally have a watchable version of this available.

4. Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp Second Unit

Brian Sharp
    Thanks. Yes, the dvd was pretty dire. Time to place my order with Amazon.

5. kagemusha98

kagemusha98 Second Unit

I watched EVITA last night. Finally excellent picture quality and above all the sound is even better than it was in the theaters.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Glad to hear the picture quality is decent. My copy is on its way from Amazon. Another non-anamorphic DVD in the collection can bite the dust!

7. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Excellent! Can't wait to pick this up.

8. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    There are some instances of "mumps" focus issues I noticed esp. for High Flying Adored right as Madonna comes up the stair case... the area of her dress in frame has that out of focus look. You may notice other instances throughout but mainly from how the film was show I would assume.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I did notice one or two instances of focus inconsistencies due what I presumed was the DP using shallow depth-of-field (is this what you're referring to with the phrase "mumps" focus??), but I don't believe that indicates a problem with the transfer. It's just the way the film was shot. I think that's what you're saying as well (I assume that was a typo in your last sentence).

10. danny3570

danny3570 Auditioning

The focus issues noted are also present in the 35mm prints of this title; this is a great looking transfer. :D

11. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack

good to know i haven't yanked out my old Criterion LD set to check to see if it seemed out of focus on those points also. I bet Penny Rose is still angry that the shot wasn't fully in focus for that gown coming up the stairs. (High Flying Adored)

12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    I suspect it may have more to do with JDC Scope than anything else.

13. bryan4999

bryan4999 Supporting Actor

Bryan Forbes
    Forgive my ignorance here, but that does mean it should be at 2.35? I first saw this at the Cinerama Dome when it came out, but apparently the producers didn't like the curved screen and they put up a flat screen. But it was poorly done and the film as projected extended into the masking, for some reason during the funeral it extended quite a ways off the screen into the masking. I complained to the manager who said that was the way the producers wanted it, which obviously can't be so. I always thought it was supposed to be 1.85 for some reason.

14. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    The 14 theaters I saw this at during the original run all played at 2.35, along with the $125 Criterion LD and the craptastic DVD. The Blu is correct in this regard.

15. DavidDTS

DavidDTS Agent

wow, Last night I popped this in to see a couple of scenes and sure enough- the bottom left corner of her ascending the stairway (mentioned above) was way off, in a digital sort of way (not just out of focus). I'm hoping theres no other instances of this.
    Glad you caught it too!

16. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

That part of the shot is manipulated to be out of focus to hide how very pregnant Madonna was by that point in the shoot, one of many little tricks used. It was like that in the theater, I remember commenting on it at the time.

17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    Nah, J-D-C is just a somewhat subpar process visually. The Joe Dutton Camera uses converted spherical lenses instead of actual anamorphic ones and every film I've seen shot in it (Poltergeist, Return of the Jedi, Legend, etc.) has a weird somewhat mushy quality to it.

18. Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt Stunt Coordinator

Jon Lidolt
    Eric, I have to agree. I thought Madonna was great in the part. While Elaine Page and Patti Lupone are wonderful on the stage, movie performances are a breed apart. Can't wait to see Evita on Blu-ray. I can finally trash that a abysmal DVD that's beef sitting on my shelf, unwatched, for years.

19. bryan4999

bryan4999 Supporting Actor

Bryan Forbes
    Did you happen to see it at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood? If so, do you recall the flat screen they put up just for Evita?

20. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    No, I was living in Chicago at the time, so I saw it on my birthday New Year Eve and opening day there at Piper's Alley then various other theaters in the area over the next several months. Still my second favorite musical after 1776.
    From what little I know of the Dome (never having seen a film in that house, but only in the other Arclight houses in the complex) is that the screen is tremendously curved, and so it doesn't surprise me that they would attempt to put something flatter up.