Photo
- - - - -

20 Century Fox -Can we get a Marylin Monroe Blu-ray box set in 2012 to commemorate the 60th year anniversary of her death ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 flagbrothers

flagbrothers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 05:17 AM

Oh and by the way you can release James Dean films on blu-ray as well.

#2 of 24 dana martin

dana martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 07 2012 - 06:09 AM

That would be WB you are waiting on for the James Dean films, but if FOX wants to release Fixed Bayonets (he has a walkon role), I could stand another WWII movie on blu. Monroe has been a least in three releases, 2 MGM and one Fox, granted more could be done.   

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#3 of 24 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,959 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 07 2012 - 08:41 AM

I think Fox missed a prime opportunity to capitalize on their Marilyn catalog of films by not having some Blus ready of her biggest hits. With the TV series Smash all about a Marilyn Monroe stage musical and the imminent release of My Week with Marilyn on Blu-ray, the stage was set for some of her most well known works (apart from Some Like It Hot) to appear: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Seven Year Itch, Bus Stop, River of No Return, How to Marry a Millionaire, and There's No Business Like Show Business.

But we got nothing.

#4 of 24 moviepas

moviepas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 08:58 AM

Oh well, Warners are re-releasing The Prince & The Showgirl in early April but on DVD as far as I can see at this time. That will get rid of those expensive copies in Marketplaces.

#5 of 24 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 09:21 AM

There's still hope for the 50th anniversary of her death, which is in August, although I'm not expecting much. I know there are a bunch of new Marilyn books slated to come out around that time.

#6 of 24 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• PipPipPip
  • 9,531 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 07 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'll buy it, but not if it's limited edition MOD nonsense like it would probably end up being.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#7 of 24 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted March 07 2012 - 09:45 AM

Yes to what everyone has said. I thought we would see The Prince and the Showgirl on bluray next week. Such is not the case of course. I have put this question to Fox . I however included the subject with Cleopatra when speaking with them. I also emailed Bill Hunt sometime back on both Monroe and Cleo. Bill stated as I felt that Fox will come out with Monroe and Cleo on bluray soon.

#8 of 24 ajabrams

ajabrams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 08:11 AM

I wish that WB would do a blu-ray of PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL. I watched it again recently on TCM and it really is a handsome-looking film with incredible sets and costumes--particularly during the wonderful coronation sequence. And Marilyn, of course, looks breathtakingly beautiful.The print shown looked like it could use a little "spiffing up" but if done properly, it would truly be a knock-out BD.

#9 of 24 Mark-P

Mark-P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 08 2012 - 08:28 AM

Amazon has some of the 20th Century Fox Marilyn movies with Prime Instant Video streaming in so-called HD. I took a look a "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and it just looked like an upconvert to me. Please Fox, bring these movies out on Blu-ray! I can't imagine that there isn't a market for them.

#10 of 24 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 09:19 AM

I wish that WB would do a blu-ray of PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL. I watched it again recently on TCM and it really is a handsome-looking film with incredible sets and costumes--particularly during the wonderful coronation sequence. And Marilyn, of course, looks breathtakingly beautiful.The print shown looked like it could use a little "spiffing up" but if done properly, it would truly be a knock-out BD.

I agree. "Prince and the Showgirl" is a beautiful looking film with a great cast, but unfortunately it's very DULL.

#11 of 24 ajabrams

ajabrams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted March 08 2012 - 04:48 PM

Sorry that you find it dull Andrew - it does betray its origins as a stage play because it is very "talky" but I am always riveted by the performances, the period detail, the wonderful Richard Addinsell score and the terrific Jack Cardiff cinematography. He sure knew how to use color and how to photograph beautiful women!! All of these elements make this movie thrilling to me each time I see it.

#12 of 24 Robin9

Robin9

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 01:11 AM

I wish that WB would do a blu-ray of PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL. I watched it again recently on TCM and it really is a handsome-looking film with incredible sets and costumes--particularly during the wonderful coronation sequence. And Marilyn, of course, looks breathtakingly beautiful.

She was photographed by Jack Cardiff! Of course she looked beautiful - although, going from memory and I haven't seen this movie for a long time, slightly overweight.

#13 of 24 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,959 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 09 2012 - 02:14 AM

If we were talking about Some Like It Hot or Let's Make Love, I'd say she was definitely overweight.

The Prince and the Showgirl?  Not so much.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#14 of 24 dana martin

dana martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 09 2012 - 04:12 AM

no not todays stick figures that Hollywood has

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

but i would think those curves look just fine

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#15 of 24 Worth

Worth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted March 09 2012 - 06:37 AM

She looks a lot better there than Angelina Jolie does to me. I wonder who decreed that the ideal female form should most closely resemble a 12 year old boy, and why.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#16 of 24 Robin9

Robin9

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted March 10 2012 - 04:58 AM

She looks a lot better there than Angelina Jolie does to me. I wonder who decreed that the ideal female form should most closely resemble a 12 year old boy, and why.

An even bigger question is why that unnatural "ideal" has become so widely accepted. Where is the feminist movement when you need it?

#17 of 24 Richard--W

Richard--W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts

Posted March 10 2012 - 05:25 AM

Of course Marilyn was beautiful, charismatic and desirable, but she was never my ideal of female beauty (neither is Angelina Jolie). Some of her glamour performances are so arch they're hard to watch. I find Marilyn was at her most compelling in films where she wasn't required to accentuate her assets. The woman who emerges in Don't Bother to Knock, Bus Stop, and The Misfits is a persuasive talent apart from her curves. Posted Image

#18 of 24 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted May 23 2012 - 11:45 AM

I sure hope this is true. Bill Hunt is never wrong though. Although there's been no sign of a studio announcement as yet, Amazon is reporting a July 31st release of a Fox Marilyn Monroe Blu-ray Collection that will include The Seven Year Itch (1955), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), How to Marry a Millionaire (1953), There's No Business Like Show Business (1954), and River of No Return (1954). I will be there for the pre order. I sure hope it is soon

#19 of 24 Mark-P

Mark-P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 24 2012 - 06:40 AM

Specifically it is Amazon Canada that has the pre-orders. There is nothing on Amazon US yet.

Although there's been no sign of a studio announcement as yet, Amazon is reporting a July 31st release of a Fox Marilyn Monroe Blu-ray Collection that will include The Seven Year Itch (1955), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), How to Marry a Millionaire (1953), There's No Business Like Show Business (1954), and River of No Return (1954). I will be there for the pre order. I sure hope it is soon

#20 of 24 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,404 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 24 2012 - 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

Specifically it is Amazon Canada that has the pre-orders. There is nothing on Amazon US yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Collins 

Although there's been no sign of a studio announcement as yet, Amazon is reporting a July 31st release of a Fox Marilyn Monroe Blu-ray Collection that will include The Seven Year Itch (1955), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), How to Marry a Millionaire (1953), There's No Business Like Show Business (1954), and River of No Return (1954).
I will be there for the pre order. I sure hope it is soon

That usually means that it is going to be a retailer exclusive here in the states.  Fox has done this most frequently with Walmart, but lately with Screen Archives on some classic titles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow