• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,240 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted February 17 2012 - 12:03 PM

Family-friendly games are few and far between on game consoles, especially Sony’s Playstation 3. Activision’s Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure is innovative, bringing collectible cross-platform game pieces to a children’s video game that can be played on their console, as well as a free-to-play game on the web.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (PS3)

Publisher: Activision
Developer: Toys For BOB / XPEC Entertainment
Release Date: October 16, 2011
ESRB Rating: E 10+ (for cartoon violence)
Also available for XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii, Windows PC

Evil Portal Master Kaos has destroyed the Core of Light and now rules over Skylands with a heavy fist. The spirit of Good Portal Master Eon has summoned Spyro and his fellow Portal Master apprentices to return home, rebuild the Core of Light, and banish Kaos once and for all. Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure was one of the most popular and successful video games this past holiday season, and with good reason. Not only does it combine the standard action platformer (with shooting and fighting sequences, puzzles, and quests), it adds a role-playing dimension in the form of the Portal Masters (32 in all, 4 for each element - Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Life, Undead, Magic, and Tech). Players assume the role of a Portal Master by placing the action figure on the included Portal of Power (which attaches to the console or PC via a USB dongle), and then collect coins and other treasures while doing battle and obtaining pieces of the Core of Light in various worlds within Skyland. The player’s life force can be restored by collecting food items throughout the land (parents will like that healthier foods such as cheese and turkey legs provide more energy than pastries and other sweets), and if a player’s life force is completely drained, all one needs to do is replace the action figure with a different character on the Portal of Power (provided one is still available) without having to start that level over. The game developers recruited a lot of Hollywood talent, including Patrick Warburton as the voice of dim-witted Flynn, writers Joel Cohen and Alec Sokolw (Toy Story), and a music score by Hans Zimmer.

Parents will like the toned-down cartoon violence and family-friendly language and storyline of the game. What they won’t like is the eventual price tag. The Starter Pack, which retails for $69.95 (but has been on sale recently at Fry’s Electronics and Toys R Us for much less), contains the game disc, the Portal of Power (which, although PC compatible, is console specific like the game disc), and three action figures (Spyro, Trigger Happy, and Gill Grunt) including stickers, trading cards, and web code cards for each character. Additional action figures can be purchased separately (as low as $7.99 each), in three-packs (as low as $19.99), or in an adventure pack (which includes an action figure, a bonus level, and two other bonus items). Sadly, these have quickly become the new Beanie Babies, with retailers such as Amazon, Target, Wal*Mart, and Best Buy often running out of stock within hours of placing them on shelves, and selling for hefty prices on Amazon Marketplace and eBay.

Overall, this is a fun game, regardless of your age or ability, but the pacing may be agonizingly slow for some. The action figures are somewhat unique, not only because they can be used with the game cross-platform, but each figure contains a programmable RFID chip that stores game stats and character nicknames, allowing players to take their figures to a friend’s house, regardless of the game platform, and retain that character’s strengths and upgrades.

My major complaint with the game, though, is the lazy inability to lip-synch spoken dialogue in most of the cut scenes, and forcing that spoken dialogue to appear as subtitles. Although the graphics and other animation in the game are on-par with the current generation of game consoles, the lip-synching and subtitle issue reminded me of games from the Sega Genesis era. another minor complaint is the online.

Another complaint is the on-line game, Skylanders: Spyro’s Universe, a free-to-play RPG that is supposed to work with the Portal of Power and action figures. My experience was that the portal worked with my Windows 7 PC less than half the time, often not acknowledging that an action figure had been placed on the portal, and greying out the option to enter the included web code. Granted, the game is still in Beta, but still....

Activision obviously knows they have a hot item on their hands (it was one of their best-sellers during the holiday season), as they have already announced a sequel game due out Fall 2012, Skylanders Giants. Hopefully, the game will be compatible with the current characters and Portal of Power, much like its Guitar Hero franchise.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 17 2012 - 12:15 PM

I had been seeing this for Wii.   It's interesting.  My kids tend to play a lot of Flyff, but this might be a good console alternative

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,240 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted February 17 2012 - 12:20 PM

I've noticed that most retailers have dropped the price on the Starter Pack to well-under $50, possibly because they are overstocked on them. The accessories, not so much, since, like I said in my review, they can't keep them on the shelves.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 20 2012 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, it's amazing how sold-out the figures continue to be! I bought the starter set on a whim on Black Friday, and I'm glad I picked up the two adventure packs as well. It's a fun game to play with my son. The one thing that remains on shelves is the castle-shaped plastic box designed to hold the characters and portal. It's really cool, but ludicrously overpriced ($40, IIRC -- I might pay $10 for it).
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 09 2013 - 07:50 AM

Interestingly enough, Skylanders have become really popular just recently with my kid and his friends. Go figure!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, Gaming, HTF Game Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users