What's new

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Game Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
[FONT= Arial said:
Overall, this is a fun game, regardless of your age or ability, but the pacing may be agonizingly slow for some. The action figures are somewhat unique, not only because they can be used with the game cross-platform, but each figure contains a programmable RFID chip that stores game stats and character nicknames, allowing players to take their figures to a friend’s house, regardless of the game platform, and retain that character’s strengths and upgrades.[/FONT]
My major complaint with the game, though, is the lazy inability to lip-synch spoken dialogue in most of the cut scenes, and forcing that spoken dialogue to appear as subtitles. Although the graphics and other animation in the game are on-par with the current generation of game consoles, the lip-synching and subtitle issue reminded me of games from the Sega Genesis era. another minor complaint is the online.
Another complaint is the on-line game, Skylanders: Spyro’s Universe, a free-to-play RPG that is supposed to work with the Portal of Power and action figures. My experience was that the portal worked with my Windows 7 PC less than half the time, often not acknowledging that an action figure had been placed on the portal, and greying out the option to enter the included web code. Granted, the game is still in Beta, but still....
Activision obviously knows they have a hot item on their hands (it was one of their best-sellers during the holiday season), as they have already announced a sequel game due out Fall 2012, Skylanders Giants. Hopefully, the game will be compatible with the current characters and Portal of Power, much like its Guitar Hero franchise.]

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I had been seeing this for Wii. It's interesting. My kids tend to play a lot of Flyff, but this might be a good console alternative

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I've noticed that most retailers have dropped the price on the Starter Pack to well-under $50, possibly because they are overstocked on them. The accessories, not so much, since, like I said in my review, they can't keep them on the shelves.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yeah, it's amazing how sold-out the figures continue to be! I bought the starter set on a whim on Black Friday, and I'm glad I picked up the two adventure packs as well. It's a fun game to play with my son.
The one thing that remains on shelves is the castle-shaped plastic box designed to hold the characters and portal. It's really cool, but ludicrously overpriced ($40, IIRC -- I might pay $10 for it).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Interestingly enough, Skylanders have become really popular just recently with my kid and his friends. Go figure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks