Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Want the back story on Spectracal and learn about calibration tech? Watch the video here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE  

• 0 posts

Posted February 09 2012 - 01:38 PM

Back since I had a Pioneer Elite 610 RPTV, I was very interested in calibrating my set.  Originally, I was using JKP's Video Essentials DVD, but I never had any equipment to measure if what I was seeing was what the cinematographer inteded me to see.  When I moved to a Sony G70, my buddy Steve Smith would come over and borrow Guy Quo's colorimeter to attempt to calibration the G70.  When doing HD DVD, I got a Minolta CS-200 (retail >$10k), but it wasn't really accurate on 30 IRE.

In this video HTF interviews Derek Smith, CTO / Founder, SpectraCal, Inc. and get the history of Spectracal, where the industry has come and where it is now.  What is very encouraging for HTF members is that the cost of the equipment and the barrier of entry to calibrate has dropped significantly.  This is great for DIY members that want to calibrate themselves!  A great example of this is the Spectracal C6 color analyzer which retails for $695 and is faster and more accurate at lower IRE levels than my Minolta CS-200.

It is also great to see Spectracal working with Joe Kane on getting 3D patterns available on the AVFoundry VideoForge.  I believe this is the first 3D test patterns available to be able to accurately calibrate a 3D set.  I know Stacey Spears is hot on the trail to offer 3D patterns on Blu-ray, but I don't have any details on a release date yet.