Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 2-7-2012

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 of 45 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,382 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 04 2012 - 03:31 PM

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 45 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,382 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 04 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'd like to thank everyone for all their "get well" wishes this past week. It has meant a lot to me to her from so many different corners of the HTF community. Thanks to one and all.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 45 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,687 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 04 2012 - 03:42 PM

Just take it easy at home and keep getting better.

Lady and the Tramp, no question, this will be a first day in-store purchase for me, as with most good Disney releases.  Jerry Lewis's The Jazz Singer and the 1937 A Star is Born make this a pretty lucrative week.  (That groaning sound you just heard came from my wallet.  Please, pay it no mind.  I don't.)

#4 of 45 ONLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,159 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 04 2012 - 06:44 PM

Welcome back Mike!  Lady and the Tramp fo me!  For any Star Wars fans the Padawan Menace is pretty funny.  My kids really enjoyed it and there was enough humor in it for me too.

#5 of 45 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted February 04 2012 - 11:54 PM

Nothing for me. Glad you are feeling better, Mike!

#6 of 45 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,765 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 05 2012 - 12:28 AM

I'll be picking up Lady And The Tramp and the Tarantino CSI episode this week. Glad you're back and thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

#7 of 45 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,881 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 05 2012 - 12:33 AM

So nice to have you back, Mike, and thanks for subbing last week, Adam.

It'll likely be Tuesday before I have the review for La Jetée/Sans Soleil up, but it's coming. Still handling some discs from last week.

#8 of 45 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,817 posts

Posted February 05 2012 - 01:56 AM

Well, this is what I get for not checking in here every week. Mike, I'm so glad you're feeling better and I hope they get you all figured out and fully recovered. And you know... there is no way I should've missed last week since it was the release of Star Trek TNG on Blu-ray!

#9 of 45 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted February 05 2012 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the roundup & glad to have you back Mike. Hope you're better very soon. I'll be getting the 3 disc Lady & The Tramp at Toys R Us. They have the 2 disc combo pack for $22.99 & the 3 disc combo pack for $24.99 + you get a $5 Gift Card. Also, if you want a $5 coupon for the 2 disc OR an $8 coupon for the 3 disc (which makes it $1 cheaper at TRU) just enter at your Disney Movie Rewards account (if you have one) the Upgrade code 786936284058 & it lets you pick the coupon to print. $16.99 for the 3 Disc with a $5 gift card after coupon is not too shabby.

#10 of 45 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted February 05 2012 - 06:32 AM

Thanks as always, Mike! Hope you get all sorted out soon!

#11 of 45 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,078 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted February 05 2012 - 06:56 AM

Best wishes for a continued, and hopefully speedy, recovery! Definitely Downton Abbey: Season 2, and the blu-ray of Dangerous Liaisons for me this week.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#12 of 45 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,699 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted February 05 2012 - 08:02 AM

Waiting with baited breath for my pre-order of Lady and the Tramp to be delivered. One question: Why was Jennifer Hudson's name omitted from the cover of the new edition of Dreamgirls? She won a freakin' Oscar for the performance, so you'd think they'd want to put that on the cover (which they did on the original release.)

#13 of 45 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted February 05 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the Roundup. I've got Lady and the Tramp and Phantom of the Opera on order from Amazon and looking forward to both. I must say, though, that I'm surprised Lady and the Tramp (which will definately sell more copies than Phantom) is the more expensive of the two. I'm using Amazon for the convience of having it shipped here, but even if Amazon lowers to match the $22.99 price from Target, it's a bit overpriced; at the store I could have used Disney's $5 off coupon to lower that to $17.99. It feels like Disney should find a way to allow online customers to use the same coupons, perhaps with a code that could be applied during Amazon checkout or something.

#14 of 45 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,421 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 05 2012 - 03:58 PM

Man, even a major illness only knocks Mike out of rotation for one RoundUp! Now that's resilience. The third Harold & Kumar will be a rental for me; nothing to buy this week.

#15 of 45 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted February 05 2012 - 04:35 PM

One question: Why was Jennifer Hudson's name omitted from the cover of the new edition of Dreamgirls? She won a freakin' Oscar for the performance, so you'd think they'd want to put that on the cover (which they did on the original release.)

Good question. An even better one: why even bother re-releasing this film? From the looks of the Amazon listing, it is the same as the previous Blu-ray except that it has dropped the second disc of supppliments, which were all exellent. That release now appears to be out-of-print in favor of this one. Anyone wanting the movie should track down that version, which wasn't even all that expensive (I got it for $10 on sale at Amazon once.) It should never have been discontinued in the first place. I wish this was the director's cut which had been discussed previously, but at this point I doubt we will ever actually get that.

#16 of 45 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,005 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted February 05 2012 - 06:48 PM

Welcome back, Mike! Weekly RoundUp is synonymous with you. Hawaii Five-O: Season 1 will be released wide on Blu-ray this week. I hope it's not another title that is abandoned on Blu-ray (due to poor sales).

#17 of 45 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,699 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted February 05 2012 - 07:19 PM

The earlier Blu-ray has been out-of-print for a while. I know that because I've been wanting to buy it but could only find used copies at inflated prices. So the re-issue is certainly a good thing in that is makes the Blu-ray available again.

Good question. An even better one: why even bother re-releasing this film? From the looks of the Amazon listing, it is the same as the previous Blu-ray except that it has dropped the second disc of supppliments, which were all exellent. That release now appears to be out-of-print in favor of this one. Anyone wanting the movie should track down that version, which wasn't even all that expensive (I got it for $10 on sale at Amazon once.) It should never have been discontinued in the first place. I wish this was the director's cut which had been discussed previously, but at this point I doubt we will ever actually get that.

#18 of 45 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,881 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 06 2012 - 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

The earlier Blu-ray has been out-of-print for a while. I know that because I've been wanting to buy it but could only find used copies at inflated prices. So the re-issue is certainly a good thing in that is makes the Blu-ray available again.

I have the original release, and I may be misremembering the facts, but didn't the original release just have a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track? Is this new release the same audio encode?

#19 of 45 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,109 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 06 2012 - 05:36 AM

Nice to see you back and active, Mike! Looks like the Disney Store has brought back their nice pre-order deal; today would be the last day to get it though!

* Pre-Order Diamond Edition 2-Disc Lady and the Tramp Blu-ray Combo Pack by February 6, 2012 and receive exclusive set of four lithographs, while supplies last. ** Pre-Order Diamond Edition 2-Disc Lady and the Tramp Blu-ray Combo Pack by February 6, 2012 and get $20 off a future online purchase of $40.00 or more; or $10 off a future online purchase of up to $39.99. An e-mail will be sent at the conclusion of the pre-sale with a unique promotion code valid for a future online purchase made between 2/7/2012 - 2/19/2012.

The lithos they gave out with Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story 3 (the latter was holographic 3D) were really nice. Unfortunately, they're still only carrying the DVD-sized case, but I can live with that. I think this might be the first time they've done this for online orders, but of course you wouldn't be able to use the DMR coupon online. Then again, I might hit Target and take the opportunity to get $8 off Dumbo, which I never got around to buying.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 45 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,699 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted February 06 2012 - 07:01 AM

According to the back-cover scan at DVD Empire, the new edition is still the lossy DD 5.1,

I have the original release, and I may be misremembering the facts, but didn't the original release just have a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track? Is this new release the same audio encode?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users