Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bought the newest stuff but convenience sucks...?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   dutchman71

dutchman71

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 28 2012 - 07:58 AM

Experts, so I bought the newest stuff: Samsung SmartTV UN65C8000-LED, Yamaha RX-V671 AV Receiver, and Boston Accoustics Sound Bar but I'm having a lot of trouble with the sound control :(. As input to the AV Receiver I have a Roku (HDMI) and a Logitech Squeezebox (analog audio). The problem I'm having is this: 1. If I use the Roku, the sound comes via HDMI to the TV and then I use an optical audio cable from the TV to the sound bar. This sucks, because whenever I switch from the Squeezebox to the Roku, I have to change the input on the sound bar. Also, I can't regulate the volume of the sound bar with the TV remote because the volume always stays the same...? So I have to bend down and control volume on the sound bar. Also, if I have sound from the TV and sound bar at the same time, there is a slight delay between the two so the sound is not clear. 2. For the Squeezebox setup, I use an analog audio cable from the Yahama AV to the Sound bar. So if I use the Squeezebox, I have to again change the Sound bar input to analog and then I can control the volume from the Sqeezebox. There must be an easier way to control the Soundbar input and volume... I just don't see it... :confused: Any suggestions appreciated.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 28 2012 - 08:38 AM

I know nothing about that soundbar, but I do know you're compromising sound quality using one. Can you use normal front speakers instead?

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   dutchman71

dutchman71

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 28 2012 - 09:48 AM

Jim - thanks for your mail. I could but I just got rid of my speakers because the kids always moved them and they didn't stay at the right place. :D

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted January 28 2012 - 10:22 AM

Is there some reason you're sending the Roku audio directly to the sound bar? It should go to the receiver, similar to set-up#2.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   dutchman71

dutchman71

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 28 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hi, sorry I didn't explain that clearly but it actually goes through the receiver.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 28 2012 - 02:50 PM

I would use bookshelf speakers, either on a shelf or wall mounted with brackets.