Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

COLUMBIA FILM NOIR CLASSICS 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,905 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 12:50 AM

According to Movies Unlimited it's here at last. Pressed discs from Sony! Movies Unlimited description - which may turn out to be Sony's own description - is as follows: QUOTE: First, in My Name Is Julia Ross (1945), Nina Foch is an unemployed secretary whose quest for work leads her to a wealthy widow. After getting hired to help the woman, she is thrust into a strange world of murder and mistaken identity. With Dame May Whitty, George Macready. Next, Broderick Crawford is a New Orleans police detective who goes undercover to stop The Mob (1951). Betty Buehler, Richard Kiley, Ernest Borgnine co-star. A cast-against-type Ginger Rogers shines as an uncooperative witness in a criminal case whose association with gangsters puts her in a Tight Spot (1955). With Edward G. Robinson, Brian Keith. Then, a shot-in-Philadelphia adaptation of David Goodis' The Burglar (1957) has jewel thief Dan Duryea planning one final heist with the help of accomplices Jayne Mansfield, Mickey Shaughnessy, and Peter Capell. Lastly, in Drive A Crooked Road (1964), Mickey Rooney is a race car enthusiast who is blackmailed into driving the getaway car during a bank robbery. Dianne Foster, Kevin McCarthy co-star. 7 hrs. total on five discs. Standard/Widescreen; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital stereo. UNQUOTE. So far, other Internet traders like Amazon have nothing about this box-set. Movies Unlimited quote a price of $44.95.

#2 of 37 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 18 2012 - 01:00 AM

Great news!  Loved the first two sets.

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 02:55 AM

I pre-ordered pretty early, in late November, I think - so hopefully the actual shipping is imminent.

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 03:13 AM

For those unaware, this is a TCM exclusive boxset, so only Movies Unimited and TCMshop.com will be carrying it.

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 18 2012 - 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by JoHud 

For those unaware, this is a TCM exclusive boxset, so only Movies Unimited and TCMshop.com will be carrying it.

SON OF A BITCH!  I'm going to get charged to the nuts since I'm in Canada. Looks like I'll be getting these films from other sources. Shame. The other volumes have been easily available from amazon.ca at fair pricing.

And the studios wonder why sales are down?

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 12:01 PM

I didn't place my order at TCM shop until 12/30. My order status currently says back-ordered with a ship date of 1/25. Oh well :)

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,905 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 10:15 PM

I was unaware so thank you. Why have Sony gone this route when the previous sets were available from the usual Internet traders?

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 11:29 PM

I was unaware so thank you. Why have Sony gone this route when the previous sets were available from the usual Internet traders?

I think the basic answer to your question is simply that was then, this is now. By partnering with TCM, Sony has some guarantees regarding return on investment as well as the attendant inventory issues. Short of boutique labels, there are almost no big studio deep catalog offerings these days that don't fall under some sort of exclusive program. At least these discs are pressed.

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 19 2012 - 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Travis87 

I didn't place my order at TCM shop until 12/30. My order status currently says back-ordered with a ship date of 1/25. Oh well Posted Image

The release date is not until January 25.  TCM and Movies Unlimited indicate all pre-orders as back-ordered until the release date.  Your not really back-ordered, your just in the holding pattern until release date, the same with me.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 11:42 AM

Interesting. I just assumed it was the 16th. That's what the listing for it on TCM Shop says.

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 19 2012 - 01:44 PM

Interesting. I just assumed it was the 16th. That's what the listing for it on TCM Shop says.

Movies Unlimited said Januray 25th and I just checked TCM site and it also says ships Jan 25th.  Perhaps the date changed.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yeah who knows. I'll just be glad whenever I do get it!

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 11:42 AM

It's still listed as backorderd. I got this e-mail today:

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for your recent order with the TCM Shop. We appreciate your business. Due to a production error on the packaging of the Film Noir Classics III (DVD), we are forced to delay the release date of this set until Feb. 14, 2012. We apologize for this delay, but we are doing this to ensure it arrives at the highest quality and meets our standards for the Vault Collection line. Your order is secure and we will ship the set to you as soon as it is available.

Plus a coupon for 20% off my next purchase until the end of April.

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 27 2012 - 11:59 AM

It's still listed as backorderd. I got this e-mail today:

Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for your recent order with the TCM Shop. We appreciate your business.
Due to a production error on the packaging of the Film Noir Classics III (DVD), we are forced to delay the release date of this set until Feb. 14, 2012. We apologize for this delay, but we are doing this to ensure it arrives at the highest quality and meets our standards for the Vault Collection line. Your order is secure and we will ship the set to you as soon as it is available.

Plus a coupon for 20% off my next purchase until the end of April.

I got an email yesterday saying that the title had shipped and after reading your post, I went back to the email and checked the tracking numbers and lo and behold it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  I did order through Movies Unlimited site and not the TCM site, but I think they are one of the same.

Qty

Product #

Title

Status

D31588

Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics III [DVD]

Item Has Shipped

I wonder what is wrong with the packaging?  Of course if the packaging is the same one Columbia uses with locking the discs in place over each other, then there is something wrong with it.Posted Image

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 12:00 PM

Err, Movies Unlimited shipped mine yesterday. I really hope there's not a major defect on this set.

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 02:33 PM

Mine shipped yesterday, too.

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 09:45 PM

I ordered this from MU on November 6 - it's still reading backordered on my account though.

Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted January 28 2012 - 01:51 AM

I ordered this from MU on November 6 - it's still reading backordered on my account though.

On mine as well.
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted January 28 2012 - 03:10 AM

Mine shipped on the 26th . Was supposed to be delivered today . But now the tracking claims it's at my local PO and will be delivered on Monday .

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted January 29 2012 - 04:08 AM

Just to follow up , I did receive my set on Saturday after all . Have not had a chance to check it out yet . Will today at some point .

Forum Nav Content I Follow