Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2568 replies to this topic

#1501 of 2569 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,238 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 27 2013 - 04:45 PM

Count me in as another one who would dive into all the seasons of BEVERLY HILLBILLIES. The whole point of the series was to be a fish out of water SATIRE, not a typical "sitcom," and wryly observe and comment upon all the things we, as allegedly more savvy urban dwellers, take for granted. Seen that way it never lost its edge or humor. Even given the fact that the Clampetts became more naturally acclimated to their surroundings, the advent of the ever changing 60's zeitgeist gave them fresh material to confront and try to understand, as did many of us during that turbulent time.

I agree that the PETTICOAT JUNCTION crossovers were ill advised, since HILLBILLIES and GREEN ACRES were satires while PETTICOAT was more of a conventional family sitcom. But when HILLBILLIES  confronted the times with such contemporary issues as women's lib and black power, among others, it could be hilarious. I still remember Mr. Drysdale throwing a "harem party" and hiring one of his black secretaries to be a slave girl, only to have to then explain it to her linebacker brothers. As edgy and funny as it had always been.

I don't have that exact episode but the storyline continued on to the episode "Simon Legree Drysdale." I have it unedited from the Columbia House VHS sets from the late 80's. Very cute episode.[color=rgb(102,102,102);font-family:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:small;] [/color]

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#1502 of 2569 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 27 2013 - 05:09 PM

McKenzie's Raiders was announced as a Timeless Release for 2013. Anyone know if this is still going to be released? I understand that there's a problem with Science Fiction Theater and it may not be released. I wonder if Timeless has anything planned beyond these titles. I hope they have some surprises for us  for the second half of this year .

Edited by LouA, April 28 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#1503 of 2569 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,238 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 27 2013 - 08:50 PM

McKenzie's Raiders was announced as a Timeless Release for this 2013. Anyone know if this is still going to be released? I understand that there's a problem with Science Fiction Theater and it may not be released. I wonder if Timeless has anything planned beyond these titles. I hope they have some surprises for us  for the second half of this year .

While not b/w, I was certainly thrilled to get the 2nd installment of Grizzly Adams from Timeless.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#1504 of 2569 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 27 2013 - 08:56 PM

While not b/w, I was certainly thrilled to get the 2nd installment of Grizzly Adams from Timeless.

Posted Image

I haven't seen the show since it originally aired.  Looking forward to starting the viewing soon.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#1505 of 2569 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 05:47 PM

McKenzie's Raiders was announced as a Timeless Release for 2013. Anyone know if this is still going to be released? I understand that there's a problem with Science Fiction Theater and it may not be released. I wonder if Timeless has anything planned beyond these titles. I hope they have some surprises for us  for the second half of this year .

I believe there may have been an elements issue with Sci Fi Theatre which hopefully has been addressed. As far as I know, Raiders is still on track for release.

#1506 of 2569 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 09:24 PM

i never heard of it.  the wiki said it was only on 1 season 58-59.

i dont recall ever seeing re-runs in the 60s.

#1507 of 2569 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 09:28 PM

mackenzie's raiders, that is.

#1508 of 2569 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sometimes I begin to think you're here to just bash. I well remember how you went off in the thread regarding Amos and Andy.

I don't want to turn this political or religious. You are in the minority and I don't mean your skin color. As the conservative Christian you so easily dismiss as being out of lockstep with society, I have every right to disagree with the direction TV is going. There is a thing called free speech although I'm wondering how long that will be the case. I have every right to contact networks who push an agenda I disagree with. I have every right to boycott networks who cater to the whims of a minority (and again, I don't mean skin color) that happen to be loud and boisterous. I have every right to vote with my pocketbook and support classic programming over trash.

And I have every right to say that a show is crap (in my humble opinion, of course); that's all that I said about it, too. I happen to think that The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis is that alone just for what's mentioned in the last season. If you're going to do a TV show, you have no right whatsoever to put out any less than your best for all seasons of a show; if you are putting out crap, then you should wind it down and end said show.

As for my comments about Amos & Andy, I'm afraid that American society is leaving that show behind, proving what I said about it to be more than true.

#1509 of 2569 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,238 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 29 2013 - 09:46 AM

POPULAR

And I have every right to say that a show is crap (in my humble opinion, of course); that's all that I said about it, too. I happen to think that The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis is that alone just for what's mentioned in the last season. If you're going to do a TV show, you have no right whatsoever to put out any less than your best for all seasons of a show; if you are putting out crap, then you should wind it down and end said show.

As for my comments about Amos & Andy, I'm afraid that American society is leaving that show behind, proving what I said about it to be more than true.

Yes, you certainly do. There are a ton of shows on TV right now that qualify as no better than what comes out when my septic tank gets pumped. On the other hand, I don't go to threads about said shows and start calling them garbage; you do.

In a perfect world, yes, you would put out your "best" for everyone. Sadly, that doesn't happen. Things get stale as time goes on. The Beverly Hillbillies for instance. It became obvious in the last season that they were sort of phoning in their parts in a lot of cases. Is that Paul Henning's fault? The show got stale. Just as with Dobie Gillis, they tried new things to see if it would make the show more interesting. I don't think that's the producers giving it less than their best.

In regards to Amos and Andy, I'm not going to keep circling the same tree on this. I think the marketplace should be the determining factor in what becomes of the show. I honestly can't say I've even watched that much of it. When VCR's became the rage in the 80's along with rental movies, my father went and rented an episode or two. From my memories, it was no worse of an insult to black people than what Good Times or Sanford and Son were.

Again, the moderators have asked us not to get into political or religious discussions and I have no problem with that. If I want a political or religious argument, I can find plenty of forums online in which I could do so if I were so inclined. I come here to discuss classic television and DVD releases. Here's hoping you have a great day!!!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#1510 of 2569 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 02:29 PM

I believe there may have been an elements issue with Sci Fi Theatre which hopefully has been addressed. As far as I know, Raiders is still on track for release.

Maybe you would know this but why are these two Ziv programmes with Timeless?Didn't TGG sublisence these from MGM?

#1511 of 2569 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,588 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 03:35 PM

Maybe you would know this but why are these two Ziv programmes with Timeless?Didn't TGG sublisence these from MGM?

It's not that only one company can license out ZIV products.  Timeless and TGG both have deals for different ZIV programs.

Gary "I'm still expecting more from Timeless, but I'm not so sure what TGG may offer down the road" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1512 of 2569 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,529 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 06:07 AM

If nothing else hopefully we will see Bat Masterson Season 3 from TGG. Also hope to see Tombstone Territory Season 2 and 3 from Timeless

It's not that only one company can license out ZIV products.  Timeless and TGG both have deals for different ZIV programs.

Gary "I'm still expecting more from Timeless, but I'm not so sure what TGG may offer down the road" O.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1513 of 2569 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 388 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 08:46 PM

I would dearly love to see CITY DETECTIVE starring Rod Cameron in a complete series collection from TMG/Shout! if Uni is able to find all prints of 64 episodes in their vaults. It would complete the Rod Cameron Revue trifecta of three series also including STATE TROOPER and CORONADO 9, otherwise I have the 11-episode compilation from The Nostalgia Merchant.

Edited by oldtvshowbuff, April 30 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#1514 of 2569 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 07:07 AM

The only reason that Amos & Andy is not seen and accepted as the classic that is is due to the show being held hostage by its distributor, CBS, for the last 47 years. While the show can be found if one looks for it, CBS refuses to make it legitimately available. Oh, and by the way, there is a small digital sub-channel which has been airing the show for the past six months and they have not gotten one complaint about it, only praise from their viewers. And it airs 7 nights a week in prime time.

#1515 of 2569 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted May 01 2013 - 04:54 PM

I have an acquaintance who works at CBS and has access to thier vault, and he mentioned to me that CBS has all of the original elements of Amos and Andy. 35MM prints , negatives , promo material etc. They haven't done anything with this material for fear of being labeled insensitive. However a few years back they were putting some thought into releaseing Amos And Andy on VHS through the CBS Video Library by mail order subscription. Someone at CBS realized that a lot of people were making money off of the show while CBS sat  on the sidelines.

Regarding the issue of racism, I have several African -American friends who are in thier 60's and enjoy the show and wish it would come out on home video. Personally, as an Italian - American I don't think the show is any more prejudiced than Mr . Bacciagalupe from the Abbott And Costello Show, or Chico Marx,  or any other stereotypical Italians on TV back then, but then again I'm not Black so my opinion may not be as valid as one coming from a Black person.

Edited by LouA, May 01 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#1516 of 2569 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 05:00 PM

i dont have any knowledge of amos and andy.  did it degrade black people ?

#1517 of 2569 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:58 PM

I guess whether or not this was degrading to blacks is in the eye of the beholder. This show has been controversial since the 1960's - there was even a PBS TV special "Amos And Andy - Anatomy Of A Controversy"  If you go back and read some of the posts you'll get many opinions. The sad part about all this is that the great comedic acting of Tim Moore , Spencer Williams , Alvin Childress , Ernestine Wade, etc are long forgotten since very few people get to see the show. I say "very few" because 74 out of 78 episodes are "out there' , being sold in the "gray market" (bootlegs). Maybe CBS should consider putting this show out on DVD with a large portion of the proceeds going to the families of those talented comedians .

Edited by LouA, May 01 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#1518 of 2569 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:59 PM

I don't think it did any more than "Sanford and Son" did.  Amos was always depicted as a fine, upstanding man.  There were many black doctors, judges, police, and other professionals portrayed in it.  Andy was dumb and gullible, but so were Beaver Cleaver, Ralph Kramden and many other white characters.  Kingfish was a crook and a liar, but he was the source of the comedy.

"Amos 'n' Andy" would only seem racist to people who insist that any black character must be portrayed as a perfect person.

It's so strange to pretend this show is hidden away somewhere.  It looks like almost every available episode can be seen on YouTube.

The radio version was probably the most successful radio show of all time.  It ran for over thirty years in one format or another.  It was a thirty-minute sitcom for twelve years (1943-55).  There are over one hundred of those episodes on archive.org.

Edited by Joe Lugoff, May 01 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#1519 of 2569 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 09:39 PM

Wanted to share this with my fellow classic TV fans. Does this list of the 1950s "essentials" match yours? Probably not, but then that's part of the fun.

http://comforttv.blo...-101-1950s.html

#1520 of 2569 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 660 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 04:14 AM

Yes, I think the show did degrade black people with some stereotypes. Of course, everyone also kind of glosses over the fact that The Jeffersons degraded white people. There were three regular characters who were white and two of them are depicted as buffoons (Willis and Bentley) and the third (Ralph) is seen as a greedy little weasel. I'll state the obvious. It's not proper to degrade any group on TV or otherwise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users