Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2537 replies to this topic

#2141 of 2538 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,288 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:56 AM

Welcome Back Gary. :cheers:

• Gary OS and LeoA like this

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#2142 of 2538 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,200 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 16 2014 - 01:29 PM

POPULAR

I don't understand people, I really don't. Disappointment is a part of life no matter it be bad weather or our favorite show never seeing the light of day on DVD. Some people take it to an extreme, though. For instance, our local weatherman was cussed because he got a prediction wrong on winter weather; never mind the guy's been spot-on on most of his stuff. This was from a bread delivery man nonetheless, someone who should be familiar with mistakes happening from time to time or things changing beyond what we have a capability to control. For some reason it brings out the worst in people and they lash out at others to take care of their frustration. ;)

I continue to hope the situation may turn itself around. I can remember in the 80's not being able to find replacements for 45's and 78's that had got broken. Now with little problem I'm able to replace almost any song I've ever had via CD or mp3 download. I hold out hope the TVODVD will be the same in the future.

• Steve...O, Gary OS, davidHartzog and 1 other like this

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#2143 of 2538 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 04:28 AM

Sent an email to Timeless more or less questioning their slowdown of classic releases & quoted a few Four Star & Ziv series I would like to see them release. Had a polite reply saying their old website was being incorporated into the Shout site & said they would pass on my suggestions to their acquistions department.

Probably pointless exercise but at least they acknowledged it.
  • Gary OS and Ron1973 like this

#2144 of 2538 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 09:16 AM

POPULAR

Glad you sent that email, Chris.  And I'm glad you got a reply, even if it wasn't exactly what any of us would have hoped for.  I guess it's just kind of obvious by now that unless a miracle takes place we can expect more of the same going forward.  Too bad.

On a more cheerful note, I've been thinking about which b/w series we might see next.  These are the ones I can remember that we've either heard rumors about, or we know are in some way, shape or form being worked on:

Ozzie & Harriet - I'm not sure we are ever going to see this series actually get released (at least in its entirety), but I'll keep hoping.

The Rebel - heard rumors of this one from Timeless for a long, long time now.  Again, keeping my fingers crossed.

Gunsmoke - I'd hope this one isn't stalled.  We'll see what the future holds.

Death Valley Days - who knows?  We can only hope.

Our Miss Brooks - CBS Syndication Library says the 1st season is being remastered.  Maybe a dvd release is coming.

The Dakotas - seems like someone said WBA would be doing this, but with no date announced yet.  Not sure if that's correct though.

Sgt Bilko - complete set already up for pre-order in R2.  I've heard the R1 is coming, but it's not been announced officially yet so we'll have to wait it out a bit longer.

WB Series - probably more of Sugarfoot, Kildare, etc coming down the pike.  At this point I'd like to see some series (like the one above) that haven't been on air recently.  I've seen most of the more popular WB westerns on Encore in recent years, so I'd like to see something more rare.  We'll see.

Anything else that I'm missing?  I'm not talking about officially announced stuff like Rawhide S8, but things we think might be coming but don't have a date on yet.

Gary "would love to see some of the rare stuff from the 50's/60's that hasn't been in syndication in a while" O.

• Randy Korstick, BobO'Link, Professor Echo and 1 other like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#2145 of 2538 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,288 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 09:36 AM

Half the fun of this hobby is anticipating what may be released next. every year since I began this hobby there's always been AT LEAST one TV Series (Including "Grail Series") the naysayers keep saying "This show will NEVER released of "Issues" such as Music, "PC" Problems, Multiple ownership and such, then lo and behold that series is coming out on DVD! This year Three such shows are about to be released on DVD later this year, Batman, The Wonder Years and Death Valley Days. (Yes I Know, the first two aren't in Black and White, but examples were needed, so I used them. So sit back, take a chill pill and hang loose, there's always something around the corner waiting for us to discover.

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#2146 of 2538 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 09:46 AM

I didn't know Death Valley Days was confirmed for this year?

Gary "great news if it is" O.

#2147 of 2538 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 17 2014 - 10:01 AM

After taking several days to think about it, and read the comments left by others here, I've decided it would be wrong to let one bad apple chase me away.  I really do love B & W TV shows and enjoy discussing them with my friends here.  I especially want to thank those of you who took time to write some words of encouragement.  Folks like Jeff, Brad, Glen, Steve, Regulus, Mark, David, Leo, John, Ron, Rob, Chris, Jack P (who took one on the chin while defending me) and all the others who clicked "like" on a supportive post.  It is greatly appreciated.

Gary "now back to your regularly scheduled program" O.  :)

In the future, use the report function which will alert the HTF Administrative Staff to investigate and moderate the situation.  I'm happy you returned.

• Gary OS likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#2148 of 2538 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 17 2014 - 12:54 PM

POPULAR

Not specifically on topic, but at least on the subject of black and white releases, if anyone is still on the fence about the Complete Series of the 1950's MIKE HAMMER, jump off and buy it now before it goes OOP! I just finished watching the entire series and it was excellent on all levels. I will qualify my recommendation just to add that it's very graphic in terms of violence (and occasionally sex) by the standards of the era when it was produced, so those sensitive to such things may not enjoy the series, but for everyone else, it truly is a superb show.

Just starting to watch TOMBSTONE TERRITORY now and while the first episode was weak, the immediate follow ups have been great. It's very gritty and realistic, even having characters wearing clothes that don't look like they just came off the rack, a particular pet peeve of mine with old westerns. ZIV can do no wrong in my book, even their lesser series like MEN INTO SPACE are still quality affairs. TOMBSTONE looks like it's going to be another great one from their library.

So even though this is not a review thread per se, it might be a welcome change of pace to hear some vintage B&W show on DVD recommendations while they are still at relatively affordable prices.
  • Gary OS, David_B_K and BobO'Link like this

#2149 of 2538 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 07:22 PM

Half the fun of this hobby is anticipating what may be released next. every year since I began this hobby there's always been AT LEAST one TV Series (Including "Grail Series") the naysayers keep saying "This show will NEVER released of "Issues" such as Music, "PC" Problems, Multiple ownership and such, then lo and behold that series is coming out on DVD! This year Three such shows are about to be released on DVD later this year, Batman, The Wonder Years and Death Valley Days. (Yes I Know, the first two aren't in Black and White, but examples were needed, so I used them. So sit back, take a chill pill and hang loose, there's always something around the corner waiting for us to discover.

Maybe, there is hope for a sitcom that has long been in the shadows of the way more popular "Leave It To Beaver', its "Bachelor Father", starring John Forsythe! It's something Time-Life might do, a complete series, just resolve clearance issues concerning some 37 out of 157 episodes, and throw in the pilot "A New Girl in His Life' from "GE Theater" and we'll have BF to watch on DVDs instead of watching it in the early morning hours on Antenna TV!

• Jack K likes this

#2150 of 2538 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 01:07 AM

' The David Niven Show' - don't know much about this one, think it is an anthology show with Niven doing the introductions. Made by Four Star. UK release coming from Renown shortly.

• Gary OS likes this

#2151 of 2538 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 06:21 AM

' The David Niven Show' - don't know much about this one, think it is an anthology show with Niven doing the introductions. Made by Four Star. UK release coming from Renown shortly.

Maybe Renown will also consider "The DuPont Show w/June Allyson and "The Dick Powell Show", Dick's swan song before his death midway through S2 and guest hosts doing the intros for the remainder of that season.

#2152 of 2538 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 18 2014 - 08:33 AM

Not specifically on topic, but at least on the subject of black and white releases, if anyone is still on the fence about the Complete Series of the 1950's MIKE HAMMER, jump off and buy it now before it goes OOP! I just finished watching the entire series and it was excellent on all levels. I will qualify my recommendation just to add that it's very graphic in terms of violence (and occasionally sex) by the standards of the era when it was produced, so those sensitive to such things may not enjoy the series, but for everyone else, it truly is a superb show.

Yeah... rub salt in the wound!!! I missed the BF sale on this series at Amazon last year and then missed a even better price during a Lightning Deal.  I was totally bummed about missing the LD as I really wanted a copy of this title!  Being a A&E title I still have hope for a pretty low price (at least matching the BF price) before it goes OOP...

• Professor Echo likes this

#2153 of 2538 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 09:51 AM

Maybe Renown will also consider "The DuPont Show w/June Allyson and "The Dick Powell Show", Dick's swan song before his death midway through S2 and guest hosts doing the intros for the remainder of that season.

The Dick Powell Show is a great series. One of the better anthologies from the 60s for sure.
  • Silverking likes this

#2154 of 2538 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 09:52 AM

I didn't know Death Valley Days was confirmed for this year?

Gary "great news if it is" O.

It's not. Not even close.

#2155 of 2538 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 483 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted April 18 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm still hopeful that those late 50s, early 60s p.I. shows like 77 Sunset Strip will turn up in Warner Archives.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#2156 of 2538 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 10:56 AM

POPULAR

Its just a matter of time and patience. They are well aware of the demand especially for the big two: 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye. They cleared music rights on two of their Westerns so far but these have more to clear so they will take longer. I still have a strong feeling we will see at least season one of 77 sunset strip later this year.

I'm still hopeful that those late 50s, early 60s p.I. shows like 77 Sunset Strip will turn up in Warner Archives.

• davidHartzog, maskedmala and Ron1973 like this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2157 of 2538 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 18 2014 - 12:10 PM

Yeah... rub salt in the wound!!! I missed the BF sale on this series at Amazon last year and then missed a even better price during a Lightning Deal.  I was totally bummed about missing the LD as I really wanted a copy of this title!  Being a A&E title I still have hope for a pretty low price (at least matching the BF price) before it goes OOP...

I hope you find a good deal for it, Bob. I picked mine up at Costco a couple of years ago for, I think, $25. That was quite a bargain considering how much I loved the series.

#2158 of 2538 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,166 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 12:54 PM

The "Zane Grey Theater" S2 announcement I had a mixed reaction to because honestly I never would have figured that to get a second season before we got S2 of "Burke's Law".    I have to keep hoping that Timeless will see the value of finishing that series and if they do, my B/W essentials are done.

#2159 of 2538 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,166 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 01:33 PM

POPULAR

After taking several days to think about it, and read the comments left by others here, I've decided it would be wrong to let one bad apple chase me away.  I really do love B & W TV shows and enjoy discussing them with my friends here.  I especially want to thank those of you who took time to write some words of encouragement.  Folks like Jeff, Brad, Glen, Steve, Regulus, Mark, David, Leo, John, Ron, Rob, Chris, Jack P (who took one on the chin while defending me) and all the others who clicked "like" on a supportive post.  It is greatly appreciated.

Gary "now back to your regularly scheduled program" O.  :)

Gary, thanks for your kind support and it's good to see you back as well!

• Steve...O, Gary OS and Ron1973 like this

#2160 of 2538 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 01:55 PM

It's not. Not even close.

That's what I thought, but I didn't want to state so emphatically without having inside info.  Too bad.  Hopefully it will eventually see a release. 

Gary "I agree with Glen that both Mike Hammer and Tombstone Territory are well worth picking up" O.

• Professor Echo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users