Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2815 replies to this topic

#2021 of 2816 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,970 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted February 28 2014 - 12:52 PM

Brad, I just picked up the first five seasons of BONANZA for a very, very good price (S5 complete was just $8.50 shipped!). I'm assuming that they never redid S2? How bad does it look?

I snagged a new copy of S5 for that price too!  I was thrilled and wish I could get seasons 1, 3 & 4 that cheap!

I think S2 looks pretty good.  But I started there and until that S5 purchase didn't have anything with which to compare.  I've not finished watching S2 yet so it will be a while before I crack open S5 and see just what I'm missing with S2 but all I can say is if the others are better then wow!  Keep in mind that I still watch on a 32" CRT and *lots* of stuff that looks horrible on my computers looks very good on the TV.

#2022 of 2816 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 01 2014 - 10:24 AM

Even with all the regrettably back lot and stage bound shooting on BONANZA, no doubt cost cutting measures to cover the cost of shooting in color, I'm finding the series holds up very well all these years later. The writing is incredibly good and the acting by the regulars and an amazing roster of guest stars is uniformly excellent. Can't recommend the series enough.

#2023 of 2816 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 963 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted March 01 2014 - 11:42 AM

I snagged a new copy of S5 for that price too!  I was thrilled and wish I could get seasons 1, 3 & 4 that cheap!

I think S2 looks pretty good.  But I started there and until that S5 purchase didn't have anything with which to compare.  I've not finished watching S2 yet so it will be a while before I crack open S5 and see just what I'm missing with S2 but all I can say is if the others are better then wow!  Keep in mind that I still watch on a 32" CRT and *lots* of stuff that looks horrible on my computers looks very good on the TV.

The later remastered seasons of Bonanza have some of the best PQ of any TV series.

#2024 of 2816 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted March 10 2014 - 03:19 PM

Timeless announced the Color shows , The Chisolms , The Big Valley  and I Spy recently , so you can see where they are moving away from B&W television . Still it's hard to complain about them , the gave us so many great shows. I only wish they would have put out some more ZIV shows before the stopped  .

#2025 of 2816 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 05:23 AM

Not a b/w show but this thread seemed the most appropriate.End of the trail for 'Bonanza'? My understanding was CBS/Paramount had planned seasons 7 & 8 this year with the first announcement due about now. However I have heard that sales for S6 were 'soft'. Accordingly further seasons have been delayed or maybe abandoned.Shame as they tried hard with this series with more than the usual in the way of extras throughout the run , not just the first release.With all the various 'wish lists' and rants at DVD companies we tend to forget that to them, it is a business, not a hobby & at the end of the day if it doesn't sell we can't really expect them to release it.

#2026 of 2816 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 812 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 06:17 AM

End of the trail for 'Bonanza'? My understanding was CBS/Paramount had planned seasons 7 & 8 this year with the first announcement due about now. However I have heard that sales for S6 were 'soft'. Accordingly further seasons have been delayed or maybe abandoned.Shame as they tried hard with this series with more than the usual in the way of extras throughout the run , not just the first release.With all the various 'wish lists' and rants at DVD companies we tend to forget that to them, it is a business, not a hobby & at the end of the day if it doesn't sell we can't really expect them to release it.

I wasn't really expecting Bonanza season 7 until late summer. I wouldn't think CBS would want to ignore the "Lost Episodes" since I think they did pretty well in syndication and are more familiar to many people as a result. I think they will still continue along, if at only one season release a year. It would be too bad if it was abandoned at this point. I manged to get the "Lost Years" off Encore during this last run, but I rather have them all remastered and to fill in the missing episodes not broadcast within the "Lost Years" package.

#2027 of 2816 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,641 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 07:10 AM

Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing Chris has about sales for S6 being "soft" and the potential slow down and/or stalling of the series as a result.  Hopefully CBS reconsiders, but at this moment I'm being told this is legit.

Gary "bummer" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#2028 of 2816 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,560 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 08:29 AM

TMG's announcement of giving "I Spy" it's *third* release has me really annoyed because if they have the Four Star catalog and are supposedly going to unstall "Zane Grey Theater" then as far as I'm concerned there is no excuse to not unstall "Burke's Law" which was a more popular show and still runs on cable and was a top seller for VCI when S1 was released.   We are talking about just  *one* more season (I don't care if "Amos Burke Secret Agent" ever gets released.  That's not the same show as far as I'm concerned) and this should be a natural for TMG even with a diminished B/W output.   If "Burke's Law" gets frozen out just because it's not a western, that will not make me happy with their management at all.

#2029 of 2816 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 812 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 08:58 AM

Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing Chris has about sales for S6 being "soft" and the potential slow down and/or stalling of the series as a result.  Hopefully CBS reconsiders, but at this moment I'm being told this is legit.

Gary "bummer" O.

This would seem to be the likely time to stop if that be the case since the remaining seasons fall into the Lost Episodes package. CBS has listed that they are done remastering season 7 and are currently working on season 8, so they appear to still be working towards the future of being able to syndicate it all in HD eventually. As along as they continue remastering there is always a hope of future releases, even if delayed from time to time based on other priorities.

I wonder how Gunsmoke is fairing? It would be interesting to having at least one season in color.

#2030 of 2816 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,184 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 09:39 AM

POPULAR

TMG's announcement of giving "I Spy" it's *third* release has me really annoyed because if they have the Four Star catalog and are supposedly going to unstall "Zane Grey Theater" then as far as I'm concerned there is no excuse to not unstall "Burke's Law" which was a more popular show and still runs on cable and was a top seller for VCI when S1 was released.   We are talking about just  *one* more season (I don't care if "Amos Burke Secret Agent" ever gets released.  That's not the same show as far as I'm concerned) and this should be a natural for TMG even with a diminished B/W output.   If "Burke's Law" gets frozen out just because it's not a western, that will not make me happy with their management at all.

I bought Burke's Law on the strength of comments here.  I imagine that anyone who has seen season 1 of Burke's Law wants season 2.

#2031 of 2816 OFFLINE   mmyers

mmyers

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:04 AM

What is the source for the statement that TMG is going to "unstall" Zane Gray Theater?

#2032 of 2816 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,641 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:43 AM

POPULAR

This would seem to be the likely time to stop if that be the case since the remaining seasons fall into the Lost Episodes package. CBS has listed that they are done remastering season 7 and are currently working on season 8, so they appear to still be working towards the future of being able to syndicate it all in HD eventually. As along as they continue remastering there is always a hope of future releases, even if delayed from time to time based on other priorities.

I wonder how Gunsmoke is fairing? It would be interesting to having at least one season in color.

Hopefully CBS will reconsider, if this really is their plan going forward.  We'll just have to wait and see.  I'd think Gunsmoke is safe.  But then again, I'd have thought Bonanza was safe, so who knows for sure.

Gary "there's always a chance the decision from the higher ups isn't set in stone - that's the best thing to hope for" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#2033 of 2816 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,560 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:59 AM

What is the source for the statement that TMG is going to "unstall" Zane Gray Theater?

Sorry I can't cross reference from another thread well here but it was in the Death Valley Days thread by Silverking on February 26.   I've pasted from there.

Randy, I highly recommend ZANE GREY THEATER for a very good example of a western anthology. Only one season released so far, but not very expensive.

Agreed & this may be changing soon !

#2034 of 2816 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 11:02 AM

True...I'd love to have season 12 on DVD...but truly Gunsmoke was never quite the same once writers Meston and Hite left the series.

#2035 of 2816 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,560 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 12:19 PM

I really think the show lost something when it went to an hour and the stories just had more fat on them IMO instead of being the nice lean compact shows at a half hour (admittedly benefiting from 26 minutes at the time). Once Weaver was gone and we had Festus, that made it less enjoyable for me.

I'm glad I still have the old "Best of" sets because even though those were older transfers it at least gives me enough of a "sampler" of later seasons so that I feel the later era is represented to an extent on my shelf.

#2036 of 2816 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,404 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted March 11 2014 - 12:35 PM

Hopefully CBS will reconsider, if this really is their plan going forward.  We'll just have to wait and see.  I'd think Gunsmoke is safe.  But then again, I'd have thought Bonanza was safe, so who knows for sure.

Gary "there's always a chance the decision from the higher ups isn't set in stone - that's the best thing to hope for" O.

This is why CBS needs to get on with a MOD program!

CBS = Constantly Being Stalled

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#2037 of 2816 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,560 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 12:52 PM

The thing is, if CBS is going to license some titles out as they have (Mod Squad and now potentially Bilko) that pretty much undermines the need for a MOD program it seems like. It's because Warner has never licensed a title of theirs out that they can do MOD program and pretty much use the full scope of the catalog as they seem to be doing.

#2038 of 2816 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 11 2014 - 12:54 PM

I recently picked up the first five seasons of BONANZA new at incredibly cheap prices, which may indicate that there is more supply than demand and it hasn't done well. This may be another case of all the public domain releases causing confusion in the marketplace. I know similar reservations happened with THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, but CBS/Parramount has persevered at least for now. Westerns still sell and their demographic is strong, so maybe future releases of BONANZA will follow the lead of BH and make their way out as Walmart exclusives. Releasing the "Lost Episodes" as unsplit, no frills single seasons would help.

#2039 of 2816 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted March 11 2014 - 02:04 PM

On another thread here at HTF it was stated that the complete four year run of Sgt. Bilko will be released as a box set  in England . I have a multi region DVD player so I'll be ordering this . It would be better if Paramount /CBS released this show , but judging by the fate of Bonanza and some other CBS shows, it seems like this English release is our best bet.

#2040 of 2816 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,456 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted March 11 2014 - 05:50 PM

There's no evidence in that thread that it's going to be a Euro exclusive. Someone also said something about Shout Factory being behind it which makes it even more difficult to believe that it wouldn't be making its way out here. 

CBS seems to do a pretty good job for the most part and I'm sure we can look forward to further releases like more of Bonanza (Which last saw a release less than half a year ago). I just hope they restart and redo My Three Sons someday now that they've gotten rid of their heebie jeebies about some sound cues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users