Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

BestBuy going out of business.... Gradually and then all at once says Forbes.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 of 106 OFFLINE   doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted February 24 2014 - 09:06 AM

Do you guys have HMV in the States?

I love Amazon.ca for pretty much everything, not just DVDs/CDs, but cookware, books..

But after getting screwed by some crappy Game of Thrones paraphernalia I bought for a Christmas present, I'd resolved to get more hands-on with my purchases again.

I went into Future Shop, A Canadian electronics big box that was bought by Best Buy in 2001, and it is a mess..  It is basically a big cell phone and console video game store now, with all the electronics and DVD's stuffed in the back.  And only new releases or popular DVD's at that..  Want anything outside the norm? Go online, was the subtext of every conversation I had with any of the staff (their online counter-part is just as bare bones, however)..

But back to my original point..  I was in the mall killing time while my wife did her thing, and wandered into an HMV..  Great selection of music and DVD's (international, obscure, cult fav's), I always have something catch my eye (and my wallet) when I go in there..  Great staff who never 'hover' but who are never far away..  And a nice selection of movie and music-related kitsch to browse and critique.  Basically a chain that feels like a mom and pop, which is to say 'big box' done right...  They don't try to do a million things half-assed, like Future Shop (major appliances, car audio, computers, TV's, phones, etc etc etc)..

It can be done, long story short.. 

So I'll be doing more in-store shopping from now on, IF I can find the right store (Best Buy/Future Shop/Walmart ain't it)..

That said, one thing I do appreciate about the big chains is their return policies..  Ever try to return something to a mom and pop?  God help you if you don't have the receipt and the item has a speck of dust on it!!  You have to fight your way through to a store credit (forget a full refund!) rather than a 20% 'restocking' fee...  I can appreciate their reticence (THEY have to go through the hassle of returning it to the original supplier if it is defective, or trying to re sell it in their store, if you just didn't like it for whatever reason), but it still makes me reluctant to ever come back if I know I will have a pitched battle if ever I am not completely satisfied with a purchase..

#102 of 106 OFFLINE   SAhmed

SAhmed

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 09:16 AM

I wandered into the Blu department at Best Buy over the weekend to pickup "Captain Phillips" - boy what a difference from it's heyday. The department has a real stench of death about it - half empty shelves, poor selection, Blu mixed in with DVD in some category organization but which goes to pot in the numerous "sale" sections, endcap etc...

The only place I get any enjoyment of a touchy, feely sense is at my local Barnes And Noble but their regular prices are not competitive (obviously "xmas time" when the B&N 50% Criterion or the 40% Off sale comes around :-) ).

Sad but it is what it is.

Regards,

#103 of 106 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,499 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 07:27 AM

While I have never been impressed with the selection of movies at Best Buy no matter what store I was in, from Phoenix, AZ to City Of Industry here in California.  I have to say that to me it looks like the look of the stores have improved since 2008.  I usually do not buy from Best Buy but since a online friend who has been very good at giving me great advise was working for Best Buy Magnolia.  I made it a point to drive 36.5 miles to Mission Viejo, CA and was very impressed with there audio/video department and since they where a Magnolia design center in a more upscale neighborhood it looked really good and was stocked with higher end components.  I do not get a sense that Best Buy is in the same trouble they where in a number of years ago and hopefully the customer service issues are not like they used to be in the past.  Here in California we have lost The Good Guys, Audio Concepts and Sound Factor if we loose Best Buy especially with the Magnolia centers.  The thought of buying everything online or going to big box stores like Wal-Mart and Costco just doesn't do it for me.  They have a almost none existent selection of audio video gear so I hope Best Buy can at least turn it around.  Don't get me wrong I love Costco but that is not the place for buying home theater gear.  Sure they have a decent selection of tvs but if you are looking for anything else your in trouble.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (256 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#104 of 106 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted September 05 2014 - 08:07 AM

They just finished a total remodel of the original BB store here in town. It now has higher end appliances and a much nicer Magnolia area. Overall the store is much more upscale than the "old days" when it looked like a big giant warehouse. I still buy several things there and since they price match Amazon, Newegg etc, I can always pay the lower price and get the satisfaction of having it in my hand and using it the same day vs. siting around wondering when my UPS guy will stop by. We also found a great deal on our kitchen appliances there as well.

So for now, they are still my go to place for several things that I can't find at WM or Target etc.

WOOSAH!.

#105 of 106 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,356 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted September 05 2014 - 08:14 AM

I used to be a huge Best Buy fan, but I haven't set foot in one for over 2 years when I bought my current flat panel. If there's something I want, I usually comparison shop online, then 99% of the time I end up purchasing from Amazon and it's on my doorstep in 2 days. Now I won't purchase a TV online (tried it once, first 2 sets delivered with cracked screens, 3rd with bad panel, over 2 weeks of back/forth to finally get a working set) but just about anything else I will buy online unless I have an immediate, need-it-today requirement.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#106 of 106 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,482 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 05 2014 - 08:46 AM

As long as there are companies that make good stuff...and require a face to face sale(Paradigm, Totem, Integra and Elite...and more)Best Buy can wither and die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users