What's new

BestBuy going out of business.... Gradually and then all at once says Forbes. (2 Viewers)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
irishsooner said:
Also know that 10-20 percent of the customers that come into retail need to learn how to be a customer, they are rude, no manners, like to steal, which effects fulfilling online orders, think they can complain about policies that are posted and they know what they are in advance.
I'm really surprised at the lack of hostility some customers express online and in-stores anymore.
On other forums (thankfully not here) there is a thread about Best Buy's trade and save program. People can trade-in a DVD and receive a $5 credit on a new BD.
There is post after post by rude people hurling insults at Best Buy employees, with many comments simply detailing how to "beat the system". Sharing bullying stories about how they successfully managed to have a manager give them a $5 credit on a movie that either didn't qualify for the promotion to begin with, or had some dispute involved in the qualification.
I don't think this is unique to Best Buy, but now with forums, Facebook & other social tools, customers come in loaded to "win" some sort of battle at the expense of the very retail experience they will miss if it was gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm up for a good bargain too, and for taking retailers up on these great promotions. But I find it sad that people want to beat up employees with rudeness and hostility all in the name of saving a $1 on a crappy movie.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
David Deeb said:
But I find it sad that people want to beat up employees with rudeness and hostility all in the name of saving a $1 on a crappy movie.
Too true! I can well understand why employees would or might become defensive and develop an attitude when subjected to the kind of harrassment, on a daily basis, from the kind of yobos you describe. Especiallly if they're paid a minimum wage! I never knew so many sub-neanderthals existed until the internet gave them a platform. The experiences I describe occurred pre-internet. I'll take your points into consideration next time I venture forth.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/317411/bestbuy-going-out-of-business-gradually-and-then-all-at-once-says-forbes#post_3887993
There's no right or wrong answers in any of this, except to say that the online retailers we're so fond of are only as good as they are because of their brick and mortar competitors.
Excellent point!

I have found Best Buys movie section too hard to sort through so I use instore pick up when I do buy from them.

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
Guess it won't matter in 5-10 years if all we have is streaming and no physical media, if the future looks to be heading that way.
Just hope studios and specialized groups do not stop restoring our classic films and releasing them in all it's glory.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I actually know irishsooner from my many frequent trips into Best Buy. I have found him to be the best employee in that store. He knows his stuff. New releases, he was all over them. Even the old movies i was looking for. But, how many people work in that store? It's a big store. I used to go in every Tuesday for YEARS. But now...the prices are to high, and they do not carry the "hard to find" DVDs and Blu-ray discs.
You know, i do not mind buying local. I will go to who has the best price. 90% of the time that will be Amazon. I have said this before, why would i spend $24-$28 for a new release at Best Buy (or Amazon) when i can get it for $10-$15 if i wait 3 or 4 months? I am always shocked at Best Buy's Blu-ray and DVD prices, as well as how many of the new releases they do not have! Do they really need 500 copies of the new Twilight movie in ONE store? Can they not make it 450 copies, and maybe give us old movie and TV show lovers a spot for 50 copies of various titles?
Over the years, i have had run ins with Best Buy employees. I learned how to play the "game". If i buy a scratched and beat up DVD i should be able to return it for one that is MINT. The way a new movie should be. But, if it plays you cannot exchange it. So, one must make sure the disc will not play. Fine...i will play...the game. Why would i want to buy a new movie that was beat to hell, even if it will play, NOW! I cannot sell a scratched disc on the secondary market. I do not want to buy it that way.
This is not a problem on Amazon, they ship a new one OVERNIGHT! I send the old one back, and they pay the shipping. I am a collector, i like mint discs, always have. All my CDs and LDs are perfect as well.
I have no need for the Geek Squad guys. The computer guys who get your PC ready, load software, and take stuff off you do not need? Rip off.
Same with the $300 or so it cost to hand a TV on the wall. Wow, that hurt. Especially when they dropped the TV base on our wood floors. But, they did pay for that, and we told them to go to hell on the $300 install as well.
But even after all that...i still love Best Buy, and Robert is one of the few reasons.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The funny thing is that we are even having this conversation like BestBuy is worth saving vice all the mom and pop shops nationwide they (and other big box retailers like them) killed off...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Over the years, i have had run ins with Best Buy employees. I learned how to play the "game". If i buy a scratched and beat up DVD i should be able to return it for one that is MINT. The way a new movie should be. But, if it plays you cannot exchange it. So, one must make sure the disc will not play. Fine...i will play...the game. Why would i want to buy a new movie that was beat to hell, even if it will play, NOW! I cannot sell a scratched disc on the secondary market. I do not want to buy it that way.
This is not a problem on Amazon, they ship a new one OVERNIGHT! I send the old one back, and they pay the shipping. I am a collector, i like mint discs, always have. All my CDs and LDs are perfect as well."
Rick,
These are some of the reasons I haven't shopped at Best Buy for almost ten years, and why I won't shop there ever again. Their return policy is one of the worst I've ever had to deal with, and in my experience they don't put the customer first. But beyond that, I eventually became turned off by their overly aggressive policing they do in the store. I recall days when I couldn't even browse their collections without feeling as though I was under some sort of suspicion.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Of course not. And I don't cheer for any store closing. But we knew it was coming.

We also know the drill. Fifty now, which will appease a few wolves but will prove insufficient. Another 100 or 150 within a year (just a number, I have no idea how many stores they have). And then all the rest at once, as the original article predicted.

Hi, Circuit City. Hi, Borders.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/317411/bestbuy-going-out-of-business-gradually-and-then-all-at-once-says-forbes#post_3911501
Of course not. And I don't cheer for any store closing. But we knew it was coming.

Hi, Circuit City. Hi, Borders.
The way this is going...it may mean the eventual end of the Weekly RoundUp.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/317411/bestbuy-going-out-of-business-gradually-and-then-all-at-once-says-forbes/30#post_3911542
The way this is going...it may mean the eventual end of the Weekly RoundUp.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The really frustrating thing is that if they had any real forward thinking leadership they could still fix this. Unfortunately they still seem to have heads stuck in the sand with fingers in their ears that RIM has....

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
Yep! I miss working in the media dept, pun for cds and dvds and blu-ray, and seeing all the familiar faces every week. Agree with the lack of will or leadership last few years BBY has shown dealing with changes due to economic or technology factors. Big thing for me is that the store i work is a dinosaur, lacking in up to date retail look and equipment, and wasted floor space due to decline in media sales and smaller product sizes. Most likely our 56K store will shrink at some point to 45K.
As for cds and dvds, good luck since they outsourced that whole area to Anderson Merchandisers.
As for prices between Amazon and BBY for the most part i see little price difference, maybe a buck or two on single disc titles. Nice they don't have to pay sales taxes to the state. But both companies seem to always have the same titles at the same price when it is advertised. Ex: would be $7.99 or $9.99 titles.
Think big issue is some of you have lousy stores you have to deal with and make the trip there and it's not in stock or some kid can't find it. I've had problems myself and i know this stuff better than most.
Back to BBY losing money, take away the write down for Europe and Turkey and China stores and other restructuring that they would have made more than last year's 4th quarter of $623 million.

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
By the way, do most people hear watch every blu-ray they buy? How do you find the time to watch every blu-ray you buy? Seems like lot of people here, one i know, buy 4-5 a week maybe more plus all the extras on the set.:)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's the nature of collecting isn't it? A friend collects egg cups. I doubt she uses them all, even on Easter.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have watched most of what i buy.
I have to tell you, i bought the Blu-ray of the King Kong remake when it came out...2 years ago? I have not even put it in the player yet. But it was a damn good price. God willing, i will watch it.
Of the 7 or 800 titles i own, i bet i only have 20 that have not been watched yet. Most of those are only 6 months or newer.
I buy less now. Gives me more time to watch what i already have.
But that was the plan anyway. :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
irishsooner said:
By the way, do most people hear watch every blu-ray they buy? How do you find the time to watch every blu-ray you buy? Seems like lot of people here, one i know, buy 4-5 a week maybe more plus all the extras on the set.:)
I have a big collection of blu rays. over 300. I had a pile of unwatched movies a couple of years ago. but then I went back and watched them. it did take a while. I did get it under control. now I only have 8 movies to watch.
Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks