Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards - Movie Nominations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   SamT

SamT

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 01:41 PM

Best Motion Picture - Drama The Descendants (2011) The Help (2011) Hugo (2011/II) The Ides of March (2011) Moneyball (2011) War Horse (2011) Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy The Artist (2011) Bridesmaids (2011) 50/50 (2011) Midnight in Paris (2011) My Week with Marilyn (2011) Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama George Clooney for The Descendants (2011) Leonardo DiCaprio for J. Edgar (2011) Michael Fassbender for Shame (2011) Ryan Gosling for The Ides of March (2011) Brad Pitt for Moneyball (2011) Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama Glenn Close for Albert Nobbs (2011) Viola Davis for The Help (2011) Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady (2011) Tilda Swinton for We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy Jean Dujardin for The Artist (2011) Brendan Gleeson for The Guard (2011) Joseph Gordon-Levitt for 50/50 (2011) Ryan Gosling for Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) Owen Wilson for Midnight in Paris (2011) Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy Jodie Foster for Carnage (2011) Charlize Theron for Young Adult (2011) Kristen Wiig for Bridesmaids (2011) Michelle Williams for My Week with Marilyn (2011) Kate Winslet for Carnage (2011) Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture Kenneth Branagh for My Week with Marilyn (2011) Albert Brooks for Drive (2011) Jonah Hill for Moneyball (2011) Viggo Mortensen for A Dangerous Method (2011) Christopher Plummer for Beginners (2010) Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture Bérénice Bejo for The Artist (2011) Jessica Chastain for The Help (2011) Janet McTeer for Albert Nobbs (2011) Octavia Spencer for The Help (2011) Shailene Woodley for The Descendants (2011) Best Director - Motion Picture Woody Allen for Midnight in Paris (2011) George Clooney for The Ides of March (2011) Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist (2011) Alexander Payne for The Descendants (2011) Martin Scorsese for Hugo (2011/II) Best Screenplay - Motion Picture The Artist (2011): Michel Hazanavicius The Descendants (2011): Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash The Ides of March (2011): George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon Midnight in Paris (2011): Woody Allen Moneyball (2011): Steven Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin, Stan Chervin Best Original Song - Motion Picture Albert Nobbs (2011): Brian Byrne, Glenn Close("Lay Your Head Down") Gnomeo & Juliet (2011): Elton John, Bernie Taupin("Hello Hello") The Help (2011): Mary J. Blige, Thomas Newman, Harvey Mason Jr., Damon Thomas("The Living Proof") Machine Gun Preacher (2011): Chris Cornell("The Keeper") W.E. (2011): Madonna, Julie Frost, Jimmy Harry("Masterpiece") Best Original Score - Motion Picture The Artist (2011): Ludovic Bource The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011): Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross Hugo (2011/II): Howard Shore War Horse (2011): John Williams W.E. (2011): Abel Korzeniowski Best Animated Film The Adventures of Tintin (2011) Arthur Christmas (2011) Cars 2 (2011) Puss in Boots (2011) Rango (2011) Best Foreign Language Film Jin líng shí san chai (2011)(China) In the Land of Blood and Honey (2011)(USA) Le gamin au vélo (2011)(Belgium) Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (2011)(Iran) La piel que habito (2011)(Spain)
Here since 1999!

trakt is a fun way to see what we watch and rate. Add me if you are in this thread!

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   SamT

SamT

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 01:45 PM

Ok now tell me, how on earth The Tree of Life didn't get nominated? Does this hurt its chance for the Oscars? I thought this was THE movie to win awards! (I have not yet seen the movie by the way!)
Here since 1999!

trakt is a fun way to see what we watch and rate. Add me if you are in this thread!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,842 posts

Posted December 15 2011 - 02:05 PM

Doubt if anyone from the HFPA even stayed awake through the entire running time of "The Tree of Life" to have a valid opinion on it to make a dent in the nomination process.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,025 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 16 2011 - 02:48 AM

Tree of Life has had a mixed run not just hear but also from Critic's circles.   Frankly, having watched it again on BD recently, I found it incredibly wanting.. just not enough there.  It reminds me a bit of how I felt about "Magnolia".. the first time I saw it I thought "Brilliant" but on a reshow I thought "wow this isn't very good".   I don't know, just one of those films for me.  But it's not just the HFPA that didn't welcome Tree of Life, it was thought to be the front runner elsewhere and hasn't been.    It got shut out at SAG (Screen Actors Guild) noms.. that one should be the sign that ToL is going to have a hard time getting a lot of love at the Oscars

Originally Posted by SamT 

Ok now tell me, how on earth The Tree of Life didn't get nominated? Does this hurt its chance for the Oscars? I thought this was THE movie to win awards! (I have not yet seen the movie by the way!)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 16 2011 - 07:36 AM

The real surprise is the love given to The Ides of March, which had fallen off the radar of all the awards announcements up to this point.

Also, the lack of attention to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has to be worrisome to that group.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 16 2011 - 08:43 AM

The real surprise is the love given to The Ides of March, which had fallen off the radar of all the awards announcements up to this point.

Really? I live in suburbia so the Oscar contenders haven't opened near me yet but I thought The Ides Of March was the best movie I've seen this year. I figured that it would have some steam behind it. Although The Descendents seems does seem be the Clooney movie that's getting the Oscar buzz.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 16 2011 - 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

Really? I live in suburbia so the Oscar contenders haven't opened near me yet but I thought The Ides Of March was the best movie I've seen this year. I figured that it would have some steam behind it. Although The Descendents seems does seem be the Clooney movie that's getting the Oscar buzz.

I'm just talking buzz, not actual film quality. Its buzz was definitely flat before the GG noms.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,299 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 16 2011 - 10:51 AM

Also, the lack of attention to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has to be worrisome to that group.

It's got the same problem the book had; it splits audiences and critics. Mainly because of the use of 9/11 as a plot device.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,155 posts

Posted December 17 2011 - 12:24 AM

The Artist is a musical/comedy and The Descendants is a drama? I smell the usual HFP shenanigans.