What's new

The 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards - Movie Nominations (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Best Motion Picture - Drama The Descendants (2011) The Help (2011) Hugo (2011/II) The Ides of March (2011) Moneyball (2011) War Horse (2011) Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy The Artist (2011) Bridesmaids (2011) 50/50 (2011) Midnight in Paris (2011) My Week with Marilyn (2011) Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama George Clooney for The Descendants (2011) Leonardo DiCaprio for J. Edgar (2011) Michael Fassbender for Shame (2011) Ryan Gosling for The Ides of March (2011) Brad Pitt for Moneyball (2011) Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama Glenn Close for Albert Nobbs (2011) Viola Davis for The Help (2011) Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady (2011) Tilda Swinton for We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy Jean Dujardin for The Artist (2011) Brendan Gleeson for The Guard (2011) Joseph Gordon-Levitt for 50/50 (2011) Ryan Gosling for Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) Owen Wilson for Midnight in Paris (2011) Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy Jodie Foster for Carnage (2011) Charlize Theron for Young Adult (2011) Kristen Wiig for Bridesmaids (2011) Michelle Williams for My Week with Marilyn (2011) Kate Winslet for Carnage (2011) Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture Kenneth Branagh for My Week with Marilyn (2011) Albert Brooks for Drive (2011) Jonah Hill for Moneyball (2011) Viggo Mortensen for A Dangerous Method (2011) Christopher Plummer for Beginners (2010) Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture Bérénice Bejo for The Artist (2011) Jessica Chastain for The Help (2011) Janet McTeer for Albert Nobbs (2011) Octavia Spencer for The Help (2011) Shailene Woodley for The Descendants (2011) Best Director - Motion Picture Woody Allen for Midnight in Paris (2011) George Clooney for The Ides of March (2011) Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist (2011) Alexander Payne for The Descendants (2011) Martin Scorsese for Hugo (2011/II) Best Screenplay - Motion Picture The Artist (2011): Michel Hazanavicius The Descendants (2011): Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash The Ides of March (2011): George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon Midnight in Paris (2011): Woody Allen Moneyball (2011): Steven Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin, Stan Chervin Best Original Song - Motion Picture Albert Nobbs (2011): Brian Byrne, Glenn Close("Lay Your Head Down") Gnomeo & Juliet (2011): Elton John, Bernie Taupin("Hello Hello") The Help (2011): Mary J. Blige, Thomas Newman, Harvey Mason Jr., Damon Thomas("The Living Proof") Machine Gun Preacher (2011): Chris Cornell("The Keeper") W.E. (2011): Madonna, Julie Frost, Jimmy Harry("Masterpiece") Best Original Score - Motion Picture The Artist (2011): Ludovic Bource The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011): Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross Hugo (2011/II): Howard Shore War Horse (2011): John Williams W.E. (2011): Abel Korzeniowski Best Animated Film The Adventures of Tintin (2011) Arthur Christmas (2011) Cars 2 (2011) Puss in Boots (2011) Rango (2011) Best Foreign Language Film Jin líng shí san chai (2011)(China) In the Land of Blood and Honey (2011)(USA) Le gamin au vélo (2011)(Belgium) Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (2011)(Iran) La piel que habito (2011)(Spain)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok now tell me, how on earth The Tree of Life didn't get nominated? Does this hurt its chance for the Oscars? I thought this was THE movie to win awards! (I have not yet seen the movie by the way!)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doubt if anyone from the HFPA even stayed awake through the entire running time of "The Tree of Life" to have a valid opinion on it to make a dent in the nomination process.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Tree of Life has had a mixed run not just hear but also from Critic's circles. Frankly, having watched it again on BD recently, I found it incredibly wanting.. just not enough there. It reminds me a bit of how I felt about "Magnolia".. the first time I saw it I thought "Brilliant" but on a reshow I thought "wow this isn't very good". I don't know, just one of those films for me. But it's not just the HFPA that didn't welcome Tree of Life, it was thought to be the front runner elsewhere and hasn't been. It got shut out at SAG (Screen Actors Guild) noms.. that one should be the sign that ToL is going to have a hard time getting a lot of love at the Oscars

Originally Posted by SamT

Ok now tell me, how on earth The Tree of Life didn't get nominated? Does this hurt its chance for the Oscars? I thought this was THE movie to win awards! (I have not yet seen the movie by the way!)
/t/317016/the-69th-annual-golden-globe-awards-movie-nominations#post_3879746

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The real surprise is the love given to The Ides of March, which had fallen off the radar of all the awards announcements up to this point.

Also, the lack of attention to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has to be worrisome to that group.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
The real surprise is the love given to The Ides of March, which had fallen off the radar of all the awards announcements up to this point.
Really? I live in suburbia so the Oscar contenders haven't opened near me yet but I thought The Ides Of March was the best movie I've seen this year. I figured that it would have some steam behind it. Although The Descendents seems does seem be the Clooney movie that's getting the Oscar buzz.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by TravisR

Really? I live in suburbia so the Oscar contenders haven't opened near me yet but I thought The Ides Of March was the best movie I've seen this year. I figured that it would have some steam behind it. Although The Descendents seems does seem be the Clooney movie that's getting the Oscar buzz.

I'm just talking buzz, not actual film quality. Its buzz was definitely flat before the GG noms.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
Also, the lack of attention to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has to be worrisome to that group.
It's got the same problem the book had; it splits audiences and critics. Mainly because of the use of 9/11 as a plot device.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Artist is a musical/comedy and The Descendants is a drama? I smell the usual HFP shenanigans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks