Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lionsgate MOD Coming

Lionsgate

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 06 2011 - 01:24 PM

This should prove interesting with a 100 titles up at first.  Will this mean some of the Republic Library will finally see the light from outside the vault?

Lionsgate Home Entertainment
to Release More Than 100 Titles on DVD
Through CreateSpace's On Demand Service

Pedro Almodóvar's HIGH HEELS, Fan-Favorite "Wildfire: Season 4"
And The Film Classic BRIGHTON ROCK Among The Notable Films And
Television Series To Be Made Available On Amazon.com, Many For The First Time

CHARLESTON, S.C. and SANTA MONICA, CA, Dec. 6, 2011 - CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) group of companies, and Lionsgate, (NYSE: LGF), a leading diversified global entertainment company, today announced the release of more than 100 titles on DVD, including films and television series available for the very first time. Featuring some of the biggest names in entertainment, the rich array of DVDs will be available on Amazon.com through CreateSpace's DVD On Demand service. The first wave of titles arrives on December 13 with a second set of titles to be offered in the New Year.

"Film buffs and classic TV fans will now have access to a great selection of Lionsgate titles on DVD, some for the first time ever," said Libby Johnson McKee, Managing Director of CreateSpace. "CreateSpace's On Demand technology makes it easy for consumers to get high-quality DVDs from major studios like Lionsgate quickly delivered right to their door."

"Lionsgate has always been at the forefront, offering our consumers the ability to enjoy our entertainment properties wherever and however they prefer," said Ron Schwartz, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Lionsgate. "With one of the largest film and television libraries in the industry, we have a vast assortment of in-demand titles that deserve to find their audience. Working with CreateSpace is the perfect opportunity to deliver directly to the most ardent fans of this content."

The scheduled titles run the gamut from award-winning film and television, world cinema, cult classics and fan favorites. Among those premiering on DVD are:
HIGH HEELS - directed by Pedro Almodóvar and featuring Javier Bardem
"Wildfire: Season 4" - the long-awaited final season of the hit ABC Family series
BRIGHTON ROCK - classic film (also known as YOUNG SCARFACE) starring Richard Attenborough

Titles that have been out of distribution for a period of time but will now be available via CreateSpace include the award-winning HBO film Citizen Ruth, Academy Award-nominee The Chorus and camp-classic Can't Stop the Music.

Through CreateSpace's DVD On Demand service, networks and studios such as Lionsgate can bring their most timeless catalog content to market faster and more efficiently than through traditional methods of DVD distribution. Because titles are manufactured only in response to customer demand, they are never out-of-stock. CreateSpace also has the unique ability to distribute content through Amazon.com and other channels, including Amazon Instant Video. Amazon Instant Video is a streaming video service that provides more than 100,000 titles, including new release movies, TV shows the day after they air, as well as contemporary and classic videos in SD and HD.

About Lionsgate
Lionsgate is a leading global entertainment company with a strong and diversified presence in motion picture production and distribution, television programming and syndication, home entertainment, family entertainment, digital distribution and new channel platforms. The Company has built a strong television presence in production of prime time cable and broadcast network series, distribution and syndication of programming through Debmar-Mercury and an array of channel assets. Lionsgate currently has 15 shows on more than 10 networks spanning its prime time production, distribution and syndication businesses, including such critically-acclaimed hits as "Mad Men", "Weeds" and "Nurse Jackie" along with the popular comedy "Blue Mountain State, " the critically-acclaimed drama "Boss" and the syndication successes "Tyler Perry's House Of Payne", its spinoff "Meet The Browns", "For Better or Worse," "The Wendy Williams Show" and "Are We There Yet?" along with the upcoming "Anger Management."

Its feature film business has been fueled by such recent box office successes as THE LINCOLN LAWYER, TYLER PERRY'S MADEA'S BIG HAPPY FAMILY, THE EXPENDABLES, THE LAST EXORCISM, TYLER PERRY'S WHY DID I GET MARRIED TOO?, KICK ASS and the critically-acclaimed PRECIOUS, which won two Academy Awards. The Company's home entertainment business has grown to more than 8% market share and is an industry leader in box office-to-DVD and box office-to-VOD revenue conversion rate. Lionsgate handles a prestigious and prolific library of approximately 13,000 motion picture and television titles that is an important source of recurring revenue and serves as the foundation for the growth of the Company's core businesses. The Lionsgate brand remains synonymous with original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the world.

About CreateSpace
CreateSpace seeks to be the world's easiest and most comprehensive independent publishing platform for writers, filmmakers and musicians. The company is the leading provider of independent publishing tools that enable content creators to produce, polish, publish and distribute their work to customers around the world. CreateSpace offers industry-leading royalty rates, broad distribution to thousands of sales channels, an engaged peer community and complete creative control while content creators continue to own the rights to their books. CreateSpace is also a leader in manufacture on-demand for Books, CDs and DVDs maintaining "in-stock" availability for titles without inventory risk. CreateSpace is a brand of On-Demand Publishing LLC, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN).

About Amazon.com
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth's Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth's most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon's developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon's own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. The new latest generation Kindle is the lightest, most compact Kindle ever."

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#2 of 55 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,558 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 06 2011 - 02:25 PM

I hope we will soon get a list of all planned titles that are upcoming. Fingers crossed that the 1975 version of Ten Little Indians is one of them.

#3 of 55 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,086 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 02:42 PM

Great news, here's hoping Lionsgate promotes it better than Universal (this is already a good start) and that transfers, OARs, etc. are all up to par. HIGH HEELS is up on Amazon for preorder but without a release date.

#4 of 55 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 06 2011 - 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill 

Great news, here's hoping Lionsgate promotes it better than Universal (this is already a good start) and that transfers, OARs, etc. are all up to par. HIGH HEELS is up on Amazon for preorder but without a release date.

I hope they can promote also, but since the announcement only list three titles our of 100, I wonder how good that marketing is.  I stalked Amazon this evening trying to get to some other titles but I was not successful.  They have a vast library and they do need to mine a lot of those titles.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 55 GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 07:15 PM

Unfortunately, only titles mentioned in press release are so far new to DVD (plus one more). Here's the list of what I was able to find on Amazon, coming soon on DVD-R from Lionsgate: Brighton Rock High Heels Wildfire Season 4 (4 Discs) Dita Von Teese: Live at (aka Crazy Horse, Paris with Dita Von Teese) Studio Canal/Anchor Bay titles: Went The Day Well Circus of Horrors Can't Stop the Music The Cruel Sea The Man Who Haunted Himself Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment Miramax/Buena Vista titles: Mighty Peking Man Wings of the Dove Zatoichi (2003) Citizen Ruth The Chorus (2004) Everybody's Famous Love in the Time of Money Country Life Victory (1995) Heartlands Love Serenade

#6 of 55 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 04:05 AM

I hope we will soon get a list of all planned titles that are upcoming. Fingers crossed that the 1975 version of Ten Little Indians is one of them.

you can say that again.

#7 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,074 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 04:44 AM

This is very good news. Not sure which titles I would be interested in, so looking forward to reading a full list of the titles.

#8 of 55 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 05:29 AM

Unfortunately, only titles mentioned in press release are so far new to DVD (plus one more). Here's the list of what I was able to find on Amazon, coming soon on DVD-R from Lionsgate: Brighton Rock High Heels Wildfire Season 4 (4 Discs) Dita Von Teese: Live at (aka Crazy Horse, Paris with Dita Von Teese) Studio Canal/Anchor Bay titles: Went The Day Well Circus of Horrors Can't Stop the Music The Cruel Sea The Man Who Haunted Himself Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment Miramax/Buena Vista titles: Mighty Peking Man Wings of the Dove Zatoichi (2003) Citizen Ruth The Chorus (2004) Everybody's Famous Love in the Time of Money Country Life Victory (1995) Heartlands Love Serenade

Well, I missed WENT THE DAY WELL in its recent 35mm revival, but it's good to know that it will be out there in some form. Have always heard good things about THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF, probably Roger Moore's most admired screen work.

#9 of 55 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,086 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 08:37 AM

WENT THE DAY WELL? is part of an OOP R1 box set, along with THE CRUEL SEA. I think a supplemented R2 edition is available. A shame that iit and BRIGHTON ROCK won't get the Criterion treatment, but glad to have them.

#10 of 55 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 09:01 AM

THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF is a very nicely done thriller with Moore at his best. He is truly acting here unlike his The Saint, The Persuaders , James Bond or "Roger Moore"(in THE CANNONBALL RUN) characters. Refreshing to see him in perhaps his best non Bond movie other than the underrated GOLD. Unlike the other Bond -Sean Connery -Moore will never win an Oscar but Daniel Craig may in the future. This is a rerelease of a very good Anchor Bay dvd from a few years back. With WB and Columbia as its model-Lionsgate is trickling in a few rereleased pressed discs on MOV rather than mining their vast library. In fact the list above seem to be all rereleases. Hopefully they will get to the 70s /80s ones i listed and I would love to see older ones like THE OSCAR , EMPTY CANVAS and others , especially the aforementioned 1975 TEN LITTLE INDIAND from 1975 make it to dvd.

#11 of 55 Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 12:17 PM

If Criterion won't release TWO WOMEN, maybe Lionsgate can at least offer a decent MOD. 

ROAD TO SALINA would be welcome as well.

#12 of 55 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 813 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 01:26 PM

If Criterion won't release TWO WOMEN, maybe Lionsgate can at least offer a decent MOD.   ROAD TO SALINA would be welcome as well. 

ROAD TO SALINA is an amazingly compelling movie. It grabs you and never lets you go. Rita Ha yworths 2 last fllms-this and WRATH OF GOD-have yet to surface. But at least WRATH OF GOD gets E ncore Western play. But thats more for Robert Mitchum

#13 of 55 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,770 posts

Posted December 11 2011 - 02:56 AM

Perhaps BLOOD DINER will finally surface through the MOD program. I'm still hoping Shout is making some progress wrangling THE BOOGENS away from Paramount/Lionsgate. I'm actually intrigued by the prospect of a Lionsgate MOD program - they hold the rights to dozens of great 80's crime thrillers and horror flicks through their acquisition of the Live and Vestron catalogs. MOD is better than nothing at all.

#14 of 55 SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,827 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 11 2011 - 09:42 AM

That's my thinking, too, about BLOOD DINER. Don't they also have THE BRAIN (1989)? And, THE FINAL TERROR?

#15 of 55 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,770 posts

Posted December 11 2011 - 11:55 PM

FINAL TERROR was distributed on VHS by Vestron Video but the rights to that catalog are all over the place. My feeling is Lionsgate doesn't have this one - perhaps Mr. Mark Edward Heuck can clear this up for us. Like I said above, I'm thrilled about the prospects of a Lionsgate MOD program but this studio isn't particularly known for quality transfers when it comes to cult titles. There are few exceptions but for the most part all they've given us are what look like VHS masters. Final Terror deserves a little better.

#16 of 55 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 03:14 AM

FINAL TERROR was distributed on VHS by Vestron Video but the rights to that catalog are all over the place. My feeling is Lionsgate doesn't have this one - perhaps Mr. Mark Edward Heuck can clear this up for us. Like I said above, I'm thrilled about the prospects of a Lionsgate MOD program but this studio isn't particularly known for quality transfers when it comes to cult titles. There are few exceptions but for the most part all they've given us are what look like VHS masters. Final Terror deserves a little better.

Looks like it was an independent production, distributed theatrically by Aquarius and Comworld in '83, two years after the film was completed, and on U.S. video by Vestron. In the U.K., it was released on video by Thorn / EMI. More from another forum:

At the minute there are three different DVD releases of The Final Terror floating about, although from what I can gather none of them is particularly impressive. Firstly there is an unauthorised US Region One DVD on the Trinity Home Entertainment label which, despite apparently being uncut, is reportedly mastered from a well worn VHS master and is said to be of such a poor quality that many of the darker scenes (of which there are plenty is this film) are impossible to actually make out. Adding insult to injury this release is now out of print and Amazon Marketplace chancers are starting to seek inflated prices used copies. There is also another slightly harder to find US Region One DVD (similarly unauthorised) on the East West label which presents The Final Terror under its alternative US title Carnivore as one half of a DVD double bill alongside Lewis Jackson's festive slasher opus Christmas Evil. However, this release is said to be only marginally better than the Trinity disc. Finally there is a completely unauthorised UK Region 2 DVD on the dodgy Video International label presented under the films UK theatrical title Campsite Massacre. However, reviews I've seen online suggest this also features yet another atrocious, near unwatchable print of the film. I've no idea whether it's actually uncut or not. Personally speaking I still proudly own the old UK VHS release from Thorn EMI (which was actually a post-VRA, BBFC approved tape and not a pre cert) and although it suffers from 27 seconds of BBFC cuts this tape actually features a pretty good transfer by VHS standards. At least you can clearly watch the night time scenes without having to squint. So if you can live with the cuts (which I personally don't think negatively impact too much upon the enjoyment of the film) I'd say stick with the UK Thorn EMI VHS until a good quality, uncut, officially licensed DVD finally comes along. If indeed one ever actually does...

#17 of 55 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,074 posts

Posted December 21 2011 - 10:16 AM

Do Lionsgate still own the Region 1 rights to the festive slasher sequels...

Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out! (1989)

Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation (1990)

Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker (1991) ?

A three-disc Region 1 set was released in 2009 of these three sequels, each presented in a 4:3 (open matte) aspect ratio (source: DVD Compare). On their main IMDb pages it states the aspect ratio is 1.85:1, but the IMDb isn't always correct. Were these sequels in the Silent Night, Deadly Night series shot as straight to VHS titles? It says 'Video' beside the film titles on their main IMDb pages. Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (1987) could have been released theatrically, and was released with the 1984 original on Region 1 a few years ago, but is OOP.

#18 of 55 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted December 26 2011 - 02:47 AM

Sony just released "Neighbors" as a MOD title so hopefully Lionsgate will release "Old Boyfriends" as it's now the only John Belushi film unavailable on DVD. As far as I can tell its a Studiocanal title so it should be eligible for Lionsgate's MOD program.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#19 of 55 Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted December 26 2011 - 05:17 AM

This should prove interesting with a 100 titles up at first.  Will this mean some of the Republic Library will finally see the light from outside the vault?

Paramount owns the Republic library (Republic titles have appeared on Netflix instant streaming as a result of the Paramount-Netflix deal). Does Lion's Gate have some kind of distribution deal with Paramount? It would be great to see the Republic titles make it to DVD, and MOD is the only likely route to seeing that happen.

#20 of 55 AnthonyP

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted December 26 2011 - 05:23 AM

Paramount owns the Republic library (Republic titles have appeared on Netflix instant streaming as a result of the Paramount-Netflix deal). Does Lion's Gate have some kind of distribution deal with Paramount? It would be great to see the Republic titles make it to DVD, and MOD is the only likely route to seeing that happen.

Lionsgate did have a deal with select Paramount and Republic Pictures titles but there are rumors that has ended within the last month (I saw it mentioned on the Criterion forums). If accurate, that might mean they will not be future Lionsgate MOD releases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lionsgate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users