Lionsgate MOD Coming

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ahollis, Dec 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    This should prove interesting with a 100 titles up at first. Will this mean some of the Republic Library will finally see the light from outside the vault?

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I hope we will soon get a list of all planned titles that are upcoming. Fingers crossed that the 1975 version of Ten Little Indians is one of them.

3. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Great news, here's hoping Lionsgate promotes it better than Universal (this is already a good start) and that transfers, OARs, etc. are all up to par. HIGH HEELS is up on Amazon for preorder but without a release date.

4. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I hope they can promote also, but since the announcement only list three titles our of 100, I wonder how good that marketing is. I stalked Amazon this evening trying to get to some other titles but I was not successful. They have a vast library and they do need to mine a lot of those titles.

5. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    Unfortunately, only titles mentioned in press release are so far new to DVD (plus one more). Here's the list of what I was able to find on Amazon, coming soon on DVD-R from Lionsgate:
    Brighton Rock
    High Heels
    Wildfire Season 4 (4 Discs)
    Dita Von Teese: Live at (aka Crazy Horse, Paris with Dita Von Teese)
    Studio Canal/Anchor Bay titles:
    Went The Day Well
    Circus of Horrors
    Can't Stop the Music
    The Cruel Sea
    The Man Who Haunted Himself
    Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment
    Miramax/Buena Vista titles:
    Mighty Peking Man
    Wings of the Dove
    Zatoichi (2003)
    Citizen Ruth
    The Chorus (2004)
    Everybody's Famous
    Love in the Time of Money
    Country Life
    Victory (1995)
    Heartlands
    Love Serenade

6. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

you can say that again.

7. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    This is very good news. Not sure which titles I would be interested in, so looking forward to reading a full list of the titles.

8. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Well, I missed WENT THE DAY WELL in its recent 35mm revival, but it's good to know that it will be out there in some form. Have always heard good things about THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF, probably Roger Moore's most admired screen work.

9. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

WENT THE DAY WELL? is part of an OOP R1 box set, along with THE CRUEL SEA. I think a supplemented R2 edition is available. A shame that iit and BRIGHTON ROCK won't get the Criterion treatment, but glad to have them.

10. Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia Supporting Actor

THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF is a very nicely done thriller with Moore at his best. He is truly acting here unlike his The Saint, The Persuaders , James Bond or "Roger Moore"(in THE CANNONBALL RUN) characters. Refreshing to see him in perhaps his best non Bond movie other than the underrated GOLD. Unlike the other Bond -Sean Connery -Moore will never win an Oscar but Daniel Craig may in the future.
    This is a rerelease of a very good Anchor Bay dvd from a few years back. With WB and Columbia as its model-Lionsgate is trickling in a few rereleased pressed discs on MOV rather than mining their vast library. In fact the list above seem to be all rereleases.
    Hopefully they will get to the 70s /80s ones i listed and I would love to see older ones like THE OSCAR , EMPTY CANVAS and others , especially the aforementioned 1975 TEN LITTLE INDIAND from 1975 make it to dvd.

11. Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K Second Unit

If Criterion won't release TWO WOMEN, maybe Lionsgate can at least offer a decent MOD.

ROAD TO SALINA would be welcome as well.

12. Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia Supporting Actor

ROAD TO SALINA is an amazingly compelling movie. It grabs you and never lets you go. Rita Ha yworths 2 last fllms-this and WRATH OF GOD-have yet to surface. But at least WRATH OF GOD gets E ncore Western play. But thats more for Robert Mitchum

13. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Perhaps BLOOD DINER will finally surface through the MOD program. I'm still hoping Shout is making some progress wrangling THE BOOGENS away from Paramount/Lionsgate. I'm actually intrigued by the prospect of a Lionsgate MOD program - they hold the rights to dozens of great 80's crime thrillers and horror flicks through their acquisition of the Live and Vestron catalogs. MOD is better than nothing at all.

14. SWFF

SWFF Screenwriter

Shawn Francis
    That's my thinking, too, about BLOOD DINER. Don't they also have THE BRAIN (1989)? And, THE FINAL TERROR?

15. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    FINAL TERROR was distributed on VHS by Vestron Video but the rights to that catalog are all over the place. My feeling is Lionsgate doesn't have this one - perhaps Mr. Mark Edward Heuck can clear this up for us. Like I said above, I'm thrilled about the prospects of a Lionsgate MOD program but this studio isn't particularly known for quality transfers when it comes to cult titles. There are few exceptions but for the most part all they've given us are what look like VHS masters. Final Terror deserves a little better.

16. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Looks like it was an independent production, distributed theatrically by Aquarius and Comworld in '83, two years after the film was completed, and on U.S. video by Vestron. In the U.K., it was released on video by Thorn / EMI.
    More from another forum:

17. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Do Lionsgate still own the Region 1 rights to the festive slasher sequels...

Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out! (1989)
    Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation (1990)
    Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker (1991) ?

A three-disc Region 1 set was released in 2009 of these three sequels, each presented in a 4:3 (open matte) aspect ratio (source: DVD Compare). On their main IMDb pages it states the aspect ratio is 1.85:1, but the IMDb isn't always correct. Were these sequels in the Silent Night, Deadly Night series shot as straight to VHS titles? It says 'Video' beside the film titles on their main IMDb pages. Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (1987) could have been released theatrically, and was released with the 1984 original on Region 1 a few years ago, but is OOP.

18. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Sony just released "Neighbors" as a MOD title so hopefully Lionsgate will release "Old Boyfriends" as it's now the only John Belushi film unavailable on DVD. As far as I can tell its a Studiocanal title so it should be eligible for Lionsgate's MOD program.

19. Camps

Camps Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    Paramount owns the Republic library (Republic titles have appeared on Netflix instant streaming as a result of the Paramount-Netflix deal). Does Lion's Gate have some kind of distribution deal with Paramount? It would be great to see the Republic titles make it to DVD, and MOD is the only likely route to seeing that happen.

20. AnthonyP

AnthonyP Stunt Coordinator

Lionsgate did have a deal with select Paramount and Republic Pictures titles but there are rumors that has ended within the last month (I saw it mentioned on the Criterion forums). If accurate, that might mean they will not be future Lionsgate MOD releases.