What's new

Lionsgate MOD Coming (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This should prove interesting with a 100 titles up at first. Will this mean some of the Republic Library will finally see the light from outside the vault?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I hope we will soon get a list of all planned titles that are upcoming. Fingers crossed that the 1975 version of Ten Little Indians is one of them.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Great news, here's hoping Lionsgate promotes it better than Universal (this is already a good start) and that transfers, OARs, etc. are all up to par. HIGH HEELS is up on Amazon for preorder but without a release date.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /t/316785/lionsgate-mod-coming#post_3877191
Great news, here's hoping Lionsgate promotes it better than Universal (this is already a good start) and that transfers, OARs, etc. are all up to par. HIGH HEELS is up on Amazon for preorder but without a release date.
I hope they can promote also, but since the announcement only list three titles our of 100, I wonder how good that marketing is. I stalked Amazon this evening trying to get to some other titles but I was not successful. They have a vast library and they do need to mine a lot of those titles.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Unfortunately, only titles mentioned in press release are so far new to DVD (plus one more). Here's the list of what I was able to find on Amazon, coming soon on DVD-R from Lionsgate:
Brighton Rock
High Heels
Wildfire Season 4 (4 Discs)
Dita Von Teese: Live at (aka Crazy Horse, Paris with Dita Von Teese)
Studio Canal/Anchor Bay titles:
Went The Day Well
Circus of Horrors
Can't Stop the Music
The Cruel Sea
The Man Who Haunted Himself
Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment
Miramax/Buena Vista titles:
Mighty Peking Man
Wings of the Dove
Zatoichi (2003)
Citizen Ruth
The Chorus (2004)
Everybody's Famous
Love in the Time of Money
Country Life
Victory (1995)
Heartlands
Love Serenade

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
MattH. said:
I hope we will soon get a list of all planned titles that are upcoming. Fingers crossed that the 1975 version of Ten Little Indians is one of them.
you can say that again.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This is very good news. Not sure which titles I would be interested in, so looking forward to reading a full list of the titles.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
GregoryMesh said:
Unfortunately, only titles mentioned in press release are so far new to DVD (plus one more). Here's the list of what I was able to find on Amazon, coming soon on DVD-R from Lionsgate:
Brighton Rock
High Heels
Wildfire Season 4 (4 Discs)
Dita Von Teese: Live at (aka Crazy Horse, Paris with Dita Von Teese)
Studio Canal/Anchor Bay titles:
Went The Day Well
Circus of Horrors
Can't Stop the Music
The Cruel Sea
The Man Who Haunted Himself
Morgan: A Suitable Case For Treatment
Miramax/Buena Vista titles:
Mighty Peking Man
Wings of the Dove
Zatoichi (2003)
Citizen Ruth
The Chorus (2004)
Everybody's Famous
Love in the Time of Money
Country Life
Victory (1995)
Heartlands
Love Serenade
Well, I missed WENT THE DAY WELL in its recent 35mm revival, but it's good to know that it will be out there in some form. Have always heard good things about THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF, probably Roger Moore's most admired screen work.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
WENT THE DAY WELL? is part of an OOP R1 box set, along with THE CRUEL SEA. I think a supplemented R2 edition is available. A shame that iit and BRIGHTON ROCK won't get the Criterion treatment, but glad to have them.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF is a very nicely done thriller with Moore at his best. He is truly acting here unlike his The Saint, The Persuaders , James Bond or "Roger Moore"(in THE CANNONBALL RUN) characters. Refreshing to see him in perhaps his best non Bond movie other than the underrated GOLD. Unlike the other Bond -Sean Connery -Moore will never win an Oscar but Daniel Craig may in the future.
This is a rerelease of a very good Anchor Bay dvd from a few years back. With WB and Columbia as its model-Lionsgate is trickling in a few rereleased pressed discs on MOV rather than mining their vast library. In fact the list above seem to be all rereleases.
Hopefully they will get to the 70s /80s ones i listed and I would love to see older ones like THE OSCAR , EMPTY CANVAS and others , especially the aforementioned 1975 TEN LITTLE INDIAND from 1975 make it to dvd.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
If Criterion won't release TWO WOMEN, maybe Lionsgate can at least offer a decent MOD.

ROAD TO SALINA would be welcome as well.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey:K said:
If Criterion won't release TWO WOMEN, maybe Lionsgate can at least offer a decent MOD.  
ROAD TO SALINA would be welcome as well. 
ROAD TO SALINA is an amazingly compelling movie. It grabs you and never lets you go. Rita Ha yworths 2 last fllms-this and WRATH OF GOD-have yet to surface. But at least WRATH OF GOD gets E ncore Western play. But thats more for Robert Mitchum

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Perhaps BLOOD DINER will finally surface through the MOD program. I'm still hoping Shout is making some progress wrangling THE BOOGENS away from Paramount/Lionsgate. I'm actually intrigued by the prospect of a Lionsgate MOD program - they hold the rights to dozens of great 80's crime thrillers and horror flicks through their acquisition of the Live and Vestron catalogs. MOD is better than nothing at all.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
That's my thinking, too, about BLOOD DINER. Don't they also have THE BRAIN (1989)? And, THE FINAL TERROR?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
FINAL TERROR was distributed on VHS by Vestron Video but the rights to that catalog are all over the place. My feeling is Lionsgate doesn't have this one - perhaps Mr. Mark Edward Heuck can clear this up for us. Like I said above, I'm thrilled about the prospects of a Lionsgate MOD program but this studio isn't particularly known for quality transfers when it comes to cult titles. There are few exceptions but for the most part all they've given us are what look like VHS masters. Final Terror deserves a little better.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
elDomenechHTF said:
FINAL TERROR was distributed on VHS by Vestron Video but the rights to that catalog are all over the place. My feeling is Lionsgate doesn't have this one - perhaps Mr. Mark Edward Heuck can clear this up for us. Like I said above, I'm thrilled about the prospects of a Lionsgate MOD program but this studio isn't particularly known for quality transfers when it comes to cult titles. There are few exceptions but for the most part all they've given us are what look like VHS masters. Final Terror deserves a little better.
Looks like it was an independent production, distributed theatrically by Aquarius and Comworld in '83, two years after the film was completed, and on U.S. video by Vestron. In the U.K., it was released on video by Thorn / EMI.
More from another forum:
At the minute there are three different DVD releases of The Final Terror floating about, although from what I can gather none of them is particularly impressive. Firstly there is an unauthorised US Region One DVD on the Trinity Home Entertainment label which, despite apparently being uncut, is reportedly mastered from a well worn VHS master and is said to be of such a poor quality that many of the darker scenes (of which there are plenty is this film) are impossible to actually make out. Adding insult to injury this release is now out of print and Amazon Marketplace chancers are starting to seek inflated prices used copies. There is also another slightly harder to find US Region One DVD (similarly unauthorised) on the East West label which presents The Final Terror under its alternative US title Carnivore as one half of a DVD double bill alongside Lewis Jackson's festive slasher opus Christmas Evil. However, this release is said to be only marginally better than the Trinity disc. Finally there is a completely unauthorised UK Region 2 DVD on the dodgy Video International label presented under the films UK theatrical title Campsite Massacre. However, reviews I've seen online suggest this also features yet another atrocious, near unwatchable print of the film. I've no idea whether it's actually uncut or not. Personally speaking I still proudly own the old UK VHS release from Thorn EMI (which was actually a post-VRA, BBFC approved tape and not a pre cert) and although it suffers from 27 seconds of BBFC cuts this tape actually features a pretty good transfer by VHS standards. At least you can clearly watch the night time scenes without having to squint. So if you can live with the cuts (which I personally don't think negatively impact too much upon the enjoyment of the film) I'd say stick with the UK Thorn EMI VHS until a good quality, uncut, officially licensed DVD finally comes along. If indeed one ever actually does...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Do Lionsgate still own the Region 1 rights to the festive slasher sequels...

Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out! (1989)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation (1990)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker (1991) ?

A three-disc Region 1 set was released in 2009 of these three sequels, each presented in a 4:3 (open matte) aspect ratio (source: DVD Compare). On their main IMDb pages it states the aspect ratio is 1.85:1, but the IMDb isn't always correct. Were these sequels in the Silent Night, Deadly Night series shot as straight to VHS titles? It says 'Video' beside the film titles on their main IMDb pages. Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (1987) could have been released theatrically, and was released with the 1984 original on Region 1 a few years ago, but is OOP.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Sony just released "Neighbors" as a MOD title so hopefully Lionsgate will release "Old Boyfriends" as it's now the only John Belushi film unavailable on DVD. As far as I can tell its a Studiocanal title so it should be eligible for Lionsgate's MOD program.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
ahollis said:
This should prove interesting with a 100 titles up at first.  Will this mean some of the Republic Library will finally see the light from outside the vault?
Paramount owns the Republic library (Republic titles have appeared on Netflix instant streaming as a result of the Paramount-Netflix deal). Does Lion's Gate have some kind of distribution deal with Paramount? It would be great to see the Republic titles make it to DVD, and MOD is the only likely route to seeing that happen.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Camps said:
Paramount owns the Republic library (Republic titles have appeared on Netflix instant streaming as a result of the Paramount-Netflix deal). Does Lion's Gate have some kind of distribution deal with Paramount? It would be great to see the Republic titles make it to DVD, and MOD is the only likely route to seeing that happen.
Lionsgate did have a deal with select Paramount and Republic Pictures titles but there are rumors that has ended within the last month (I saw it mentioned on the Criterion forums). If accurate, that might mean they will not be future Lionsgate MOD releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks