What's new

Tablet for grandad? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My mom tells me my 85 yr grandfather wants to get on the internet with a tablet thingy. He saw something for $99 in some catalog, and I fear he'll get a JooJoo-esque piece of garbage.

But the iPad 2 is no an option; too expensive at $499. A $199 Kindle looks like the best deal, or maybe a Nook Tablet at $250. Are there any other tablets to consider under $250?

This, we guess, would be for wifi web use, some email, and that's it. I doubt he'll buy anything online: no apps, books, movies, music. It will never see a software update after the initial setup. There will be no rooting, no side loading, no custom keyboards. And probably no technical support once he gets it. It has to work essentially in its out-of-box configuration.

The reviews I've read about the Fire are mixed, and confusing to me. The Nook Tablet is sounding like a better web browser on the whole. But if the Fire is useable by an 80-yr old man then it's worth saving $50 (and mom's worried a pricey gadget might get stolen at the nursing home).

Hopefully I can play with them at BestBuy to get a feel. But if you've got thoughts on what you'd buy for your grandfather, I'd appreciate it :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Agreed. Grab the fire. The basic apps on it that he'll use most often (web, facebook, etc.) are as good on it as anywhere, and it's well supported.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. His "home" has wifi. And mom says he might be interested in movies / TV, and Amazon would make for a good way to get that stuff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Now mom's looking for a security cable system, to lock it down. Worried about theft; a paygo cellphone disappeared recently. A $199 Fire is prime for walking off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks